Open pilot / Comma AI

hey guys i just bought an mg4 trophy and starting the installation of comma three, shall we get all resources together somewhere?
Hi - I have done some work on the hardware configuration. Did you get anywhere with porting the car across, or did you realise like I did that unless you are a python programmer that this whole process is much more complex than just connecting the Comma X3 to the front facing camera. I am still thinking of taking the plunge, buying the kit and seeing if I can get it to work, on the basis it will end up in a box in the garage if I fail, or possibly just be an expensive dashcam!

Hi - I have done some work on the hardware configuration. Did you get anywhere with porting the car across, or did you realise like I did that unless you are a python programmer that this whole process is much more complex than just connecting the Comma X3 to the front facing camera. I am still thinking of taking the plunge, buying the kit and seeing if I can get it to work, on the basis it will end up in a box in the garage if I fail, or possibly just be an expensive dashcam!
Speaking of, is the Comma X3 also a dashcam? Can it work with the car locked "on sensing a collision/shock" ?

I think it will work as a dashcam. But it powers down to prevent the battery from going flat, I believe, so it will not work like the Tesla systems.

I just took at look at the comma python code required to support a car brand. This seems more like a reverse engineering problem, not just python knowledge. You need to figure a whole lot of CAN bus messages for the various modules (camera, radar, steering, etc.) to control the car. And since there is not a single MG model supported so far, you will have to start from scratch.

It's not as bad as it seems, although it is bad! They have built programs to capture the signals (Cabana) the car sends - so they can be decoded and I think then mapped to the openpilot....Jason Young video

In a perfect world, there would be a list of openpilot parameters required, and then you would search for each one that an MG produces and link the car code to it as a mapping table. Then openpilot would be seeing the signals coded as it needs. I think that might be how they have done it but there are lots of side issues to sort out like the fingerprinting etc

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom