Ora Cat would you consider

I don't about those ,but still the car is more than double the Chinese price.
yes but so is the ZS, its less than £13,000 equivalent in china and the new one is far superior to the ora, if MG can pitch the excite model at £25,000 or less they will sell loads, the trouble is there are loads of new EV's coming out in 2022/23 with new cheaper battery technology, I'll wait thanks

I think the 'first chinese' thing is about branding and perception.

Yes the MGs are chinese, but there are still people who dont know that. And they are using an established uk brand.

One of the issues for the chinese manufacturers is breaking into the market with a brand new brand :).

There is no history, no image and no awareness of Ora/ Xpeng/etc. which means that getting established will be expensive for them. Building a network and getting buy in from dealerships isnt easy - they need a lot of people to invest a lot of time, energy and £. and they need to make it worthwhile for those dealers.

Especially in the uk (RHD) which people seem to forget when talking about prices in china vs uk. There can be significant costs to LHD/RHD conversion. I've no idea about the costs of installing CCS as opposed to the chinese charging ststem. Are there licencing costs? Hardware/software costs similar or v.different?

I guess they have to choose between starting with top end halo models as Tesla did or with budget offerings as MG.

I really like the BYD and Xpeng offerings. And the ORA seems ok - not that I've actually seen one but the styling is a vast improvement on MG to my eyes. But there are a lot of evs coming in the next couple of years and pricing should be coming down.

tbh @MilesperkWh if I were chorley I'd be more interested in a brand with more of a line up - like byd or xpeng. With only a single model car I'd see ora as similar to smart/mini. That may work for you as a stand alone brand (no erosion of existing franchises?).

I think the 'first chinese' thing is about branding and perception.

Yes the MGs are chinese, but there are still people who dont know that. And they are using an established uk brand.

One of the issues for the chinese manufacturers is breaking into the market with a brand new brand :).

There is no history, no image and no awareness of Ora/ Xpeng/etc. which means that getting established will be expensive for them. Building a network and getting buy in from dealerships isnt easy - they need a lot of people to invest a lot of time, energy and £. and they need to make it worthwhile for those dealers.

Especially in the uk (RHD) which people seem to forget when talking about prices in china vs uk. There can be significant costs to LHD/RHD conversion. I've no idea about the costs of installing CCS as opposed to the chinese charging ststem. Are there licencing costs? Hardware/software costs similar or v.different?

I guess they have to choose between starting with top end halo models as Tesla did or with budget offerings as MG.

I really like the BYD and Xpeng offerings. And the ORA seems ok - not that I've actually seen one but the styling is a vast improvement on MG to my eyes. But there are a lot of evs coming in the next couple of years and pricing should be coming down.

tbh @MilesperkWh if I were chorley I'd be more interested in a brand with more of a line up - like byd or xpeng. With only a single model car I'd see ora as similar to smart/mini. That may work for you as a stand alone brand (no erosion of existing franchises?).
There is an Ora lineup, but the Cat is the first model. I'm looking forward to seeing the other models later in 2022. Hopefully Cherry, and Lightening. (y)

We thought about it but no details of dealer network, boot just a bit too small and the rear end looks too bulbous

My wife wants a Mini EV but the short range rules it out. She does not want to be faffing around with charging for her regular 175 mile round trips. For that reason she will not use our ZS EV - unless I upgrade.
The Ora looks mini ish but has a small boot, perhaps it will have 200 mile range?
if many MG dealers are on the iffy side service wise what will Ora do to earn a good reputation.

You know, once you get used to the idea that the GT is just a trim level, I like it even more, and 260 miles claimed with the bigger battery.

1636373297644.png

You know, once you get used to the idea that the GT is just a trim level, I like it even more, and 260 miles claimed with the bigger battery.

View attachment 5534
Looks a bit better in that picture but if is even close to fiesta size then not an option for my house. We have a fiesta and both hate it like we have hated no other car. Far too small and feels that way in every aspect. I am not a big person but the seats are like kids seats. The wheels are the same. Face feels like it is jammed against the windscreen. The boot is too small to even bring back the weekly food shop. Driving experience is like driving the noddy car. Did I mention we hate it?

Looks a bit better in that picture but if is even close to fiesta size then not an option for my house. We have a fiesta and both hate it like we have hated no other car. Far too small and feels that way in every aspect. I am not a big person but the seats are like kids seats. The wheels are the same. Face feels like it is jammed against the windscreen. The boot is too small to even bring back the weekly food shop. Driving experience is like driving the noddy car. Did I mention we hate it?
Did you win the car in a raffle?

And another...it's becoming a bit if of no- brainer, so we'll have to now concentrate on the negative issues like the tiny boot, otherwise Miles will be getting over excited!

When you think of it this is a bit of an intrusion into the MG ev community forum.

Maybe time to start an Ora forum?

When you think of it this is a bit of an intrusion into the MG ev community forum.

Maybe time to start an Ora forum?
Possibly would have been better place in the General Electric Car Chat Forum section of the forum, but it's good to see & discuss what other market sectors are being targeted by other manufacturers. Perhaps there will be an MG3EV GT model to compete 🤷‍♂️

Apart from the repeated assertion that the Ora Cat is the very first Chinese car to land in the UK (???)........this may be of interest although not much different to the other video but hopefully the presenter's sleeves won't detract too much this time.

I've stopped watching most of the Fully Charged videos after this guy came on board, really don't like his 'presenting style' - On the subject of the Ora Cat, I like the look of it, but my wife didn't when I showed her the pictures, so unfortunately that means we're out! :(

I've stopped watching most of the Fully Charged videos after this guy came on board, really don't like his 'presenting style' -
I really liked the first one I saw with him as Robert Llewellyn's butler, but this time he didn't know what the face camera could be used for. To me, that's his job, and the next presenter knew it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom