Ordered an MG4, due in 2 weeks

Yes and I said that if that’s your yardstick then you’ll probably be happy. 👍
My measurement of reliability is days at the dealer, pure and simple.
I have some little niggles with mine, but I wouldn't bother the dealer with them, I'll put up with them as part of the car's character and just mention them to the dealer when I take it in for its first service next year.
I know it's a big layout of money for some people, buying a new car, but I think too many people expect Rolls Royce perfection for budget car money.
The MG4 is a budget car but terrific value even with it's characteristics.

If you read what I said, I said in terms of being able to use it.
A car is basically to get me from A to B and if it does that every time I want it to then it's fine, the rest is gravy.
I don't live in my car, I don't need to be connected to the rest of the world by bluetooth or anything else. I don't need the car to drive for me, brake for me, steer for me, put the lights on for me or change to high beam for me, I learned to do those when I learned to drive, I don't need to hear the London symphony orchestra in perfect harmony or any of the other crap they put in modern cars, I just need to get form A to B reliably.

I'd actually like that last bit, but it could be worse. At least there's no ICE noise to drown out the detail on the sound system.

I had an overall budget of £30,000 and ended up spending £24,000 because of the insurance settlement from the Golf (no it was not my fault, a BMW went into the side of me, having come out of a side road without looking) so I'm pretty pleased.

To the OP, dont worry too much but definitely make an inspection list of all the issues you have found on the forums and the rest of the internet. Once you go in to finalise the deal and before you pay the full amount, go through the list and take it for a long test drive (take it on a motorway). Any issues you find that you are not happy with, go back to the dealer and ask them to fix it. If they cant or wont, I assume you can still walk away? Where I am at, the deposit is refundable.

Yes and I said that if that’s your yardstick then you’ll probably be happy. 👍
My measurement of reliability is days at the dealer, pure and simple.

To the OP, dont worry too much but definitely make an inspection list of all the issues you have found on the forums and the rest of the internet. Once you go in to finalise the deal and before you pay the full amount, go through the list and take it for a long test drive (take it on a motorway). Any issues you find that you are not happy with, go back to the dealer and ask them to fix it. If they cant or wont, I assume you can still walk away? Where I am at, the deposit is refundable.
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I've been quite unsure whether to go ahead or not, based on comments on this thread. But that is what I'll do, go and look at the car with a list of things to check, take it for a test drive if they will let me do so, and any issues that need looking at, ask them to sort out before I take delivery. If they refuse or don't want to do so, I won't accept the car and walk away. I don't think the deposit I paid is refundable, but better that than getting a car that I'm not confident will be trouble free. I know I've signed the paperwork, but if I don't go ahead with it, as I understand it, they keep the deposit to cover their costs, but that's the end of it.

My MG4 has spent zero days in the dealer . It is booked in for its first service in October and I will be asking them to rectify the following issues:

Noisy A/C.
No Under bonnet soundproofing.
Undertray bulge.
Software updates.

None of these have stopped me enjoying the car immensely

Is it perfect? absolutely not. Does it represent GVFM? absolutely yes.

Let's see how good the servicing dealer is !
I completely agree with you. Mine has only been back for the safety recall.

My first service is due November and I'm a little worried re software updates and the LKA. I'm one of the lucky ones I think, where I turned off LKA soon after getting the car, and its never come back on again. None of this faffing around having to turn it off at the start of every journey! I'm worried then that at the service they will do software updates, and the LKA will then be the same as others where it comes back on again.

Do you have this issue as regards LKA? Your car must be a similar age to mine.

I completely agree with you. Mine has only been back for the safety recall.

My first service is due November and I'm a little worried re software updates and the LKA. I'm one of the lucky ones I think, where I turned off LKA soon after getting the car, and its never come back on again. None of this faffing around having to turn it off at the start of every journey! I'm worried then that at the service they will do software updates, and the LKA will then be the same as others where it comes back on again.

Do you have this issue as regards LKA? Your car must be a similar age to mine.
Mine is OCT 22 .I don't like the LKA and don't use it . I find that if I leave my Acc on standby the LKA doesn't automatically come on when I start the car for the next drive .

On the question of price/VFM etc there was an interesting piece on the news last night about how the Chinese manufacturers are disrupting the European market with their aggressive pricing. They're able to do this as they get massive subsidies etc for the Chines Govt.
Apparently the EU are looking at increasing tariffs . I would suggest that the best way of "fighting back" is to also be price aggressive. If the Chinese felt like it they could probably reduce prices further or increase tariffs on products imported from Europe . Then there really would be a trade war .
As we are outside of the EU I don't know where that leaves the UK market .

Seriously you won't regret it. I've had "nice" cars my whole life and was sceptical as well, albeit the MG4 won't be my primary drive as it is for my wife. Put the MG4 in sports mode and you won't wish for more... leave the lights and look back in the mirror and you're already 50m down the road. For general town/city use it's pretty unbeatable. Turning circle is a delight. I'm one of the rare ones whose had the AirCon Compressor changed. Done quickly and efficiently. Not a big deal.

Just hope you made the right decision and got RED :)
I would’ve loved a red one (black due end Oct) but a fortune teller told ME not to drive a red car about 30 yrs ago and I darent Justin 🤣

My advice would be to cancel your order.

Far too many software issues which dealers are unable to fix. Latest R46 update is no better. MG are indifferent and don’t seem to care.

Why should owners have to hang on and hope that MG will one day sort out the MG4?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back