Ordered - now the fun begins

StackH

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Had a test drive today, and was impressed enough to place an order. LR Trophy in orange, which will apparently be here in about 8 weeks. That might be a bit optimistic, but we’ll see.

I was slightly annoyed by the car not coming with either a Type 2 cable or mats, but I guess I’ll stump up the £99 for the mats and buy a more sensibly priced cable online (MG wanted £250!).

Their trade in offer on my existing car was also below WBAC, and they wanted to revalue when the MG4 arrives, so I’ll have to try Motorway or similar nearer the time.

My main concern is getting a charger installed at home. We’re with Octopus, so I’ll see what they quote. If I can’t get one installed in time, we’ll be doing our shopping much slower at the local Tesco while the car charges!

All in all, looking forward to my first taste of EV ownership.

I still can't work out how the matts are £99?!

Maybe they are made from unicorn fur....

The 8 weeks sounds about right, there is literally a boat load coming over, should arrive in Bristol in around 3 weeks.

Had a test drive today, and was impressed enough to place an order. LR Trophy in orange, which will apparently be here in about 8 weeks. That might be a bit optimistic, but we’ll see.

I was slightly annoyed by the car not coming with either a Type 2 cable or mats, but I guess I’ll stump up the £99 for the mats and buy a more sensibly priced cable online (MG wanted £250!).

Their trade in offer on my existing car was also below WBAC, and they wanted to revalue when the MG4 arrives, so I’ll have to try Motorway or similar nearer the time.

My main concern is getting a charger installed at home. We’re with Octopus, so I’ll see what they quote. If I can’t get one installed in time, we’ll be doing our shopping much slower at the local Tesco while the car charges!

Defo go with Octopus , fill in the online form with the correct photos etc , then some one will contact you 020 code if they phone as the office is in London
once quote is ready you’ll receive an email with a payment link in it
pay the quote and then the fitting team will contact you
Do you already have smart meters installed ?

It shouldn't. Octopus are currently reacting quickly to requests for smart meters when it's for their EV tariffs such as Go and Intelligent. If you don't get a quick response via email try a DM on Twitter.

I am with Octopus and had a Smart meter installed last year it took about 4 weeks to get it fitted and quite easy to arrange. I will be looking at going for the Intelligent Octopus tariff but you need to have an Ohme charger as Octopus need to communicate with it. This gives you 7.5p from 23.30 to 05.30 and also gives 7.5p at certain times during the day when there is plunge pricing i.e. excess renewables this will be controlled by Octopus.

I had zappi fitted by octopus and unfortunately they will have to come back to do rework, they even put all my CT clamps on 1 wire instead on grid, PV and battery to give proper readings.

Entire process straight forward they can even organise video call to asses installation, just double check when they finish.

On my research the Zappi works well with PV and Battery installs but it will not work with Intelligent Octopus so you need to be sure what tariff you want to go on before you invest in a charger.

The Zappi can be used on the Octopus Go which gives you four hours at 7.5p and with this you can also charge only using your PV (if you have it) if you are generating excess.

I am surprised that Octopus haven't tried to install smart meters for you, how long have you been with them?
I’ve never been that bothered about having a smart meter. Been with Octopus for a couple of years, and dont remember them ever contacting me about it.

Before that, my previous supplier kept sending me texts with booked installation dates. However, they could never confirm that they would install the newer meter (SMETS2) so I always cancelled as I didn’t want one that went dumb when I switched suppliers.

Obviously now I’ll need one to take advantage of the Octopus EV tariff.

I bought the mats for the ZS and they were £73 from my dealer. Fair difference in cost?

Mats, hmmm, Having just ordered car today, I will look to go with cheap furry ones, till I can source decent heavy duty rubber ones, which I have had in my last 3 Skodas and have been well worth the investment keeping footwells clean and very easy to remove them clean and dry.

I bought the mats for the ZS and they were £73 from my dealer. Fair difference in cost?
True. It’s not really the cost, it’s just that the last time I bought a car that didn’t come with mats was about 20 years ago. Seemed a bit tight on a £32k car.

try Arnold clarks - I never thought of them until I saw a tv ad, I tried them and they gave me £1k more than WBAC

I went to 2 dealers yesterday who both said 16 weeks to me - not what I wanted to hear...

try Arnold clarks - I never thought of them until I saw a tv ad, I tried them and they gave me £1k more than WBAC

I went to 2 dealers yesterday who both said 16 weeks to me - not what I wanted to hear...
I have sold 3 cars through Arnold Clarke in the past and I have never got less than the online valuation. They offered me £23000 for my ZS EV Excite, 21 plate with 11400 miles which was £2000 than the garage I am getting my MG4 from.

Motorway were £200 higher but I prefer to deal with AC.

I emailed MG re the lead times and here is their reply:

Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!
With regards to your query, the estimated lead time for an MG4 EV model is between 8 to 16 weeks.
Please note: The lead time is subject to change.
We hope the above information helps and thanks again for contacting us.

Kind regards,
MG Motor UK

Not a very helpful reply.
Does another dealer have the spec you want coming in on the next batch?

The dealer said 31st January but I'm prepared to wait. It'll give me time to sort out the wall charger and for the insurance companies a chance to give proper quotes.

I've had a courtesy call from my dealer who has my MG4 order :(. He said due to issues at the docks (re car software problems) they haven't had any MG4 deliveries yet, even for demo/showroom, and they haven't been given a date for when some may arrive. I asked about possible timing of my order delivery and he said 16 weeks and when I asked about their initial allocations he said they still hadn't been told what cars to expect. I'm grateful for their courtesy call, and it does seem like some dealers have this issue, whereas some have actually received their first batch of cars for customers (albeit that might have software issues). People talking about what is in a dealer's second batch, when some dealers don't yet know what's in their first batch!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back