Overtaking acceleration. Long journey MPG

Rip Van

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all, first post here. I'm considering buying an MG HS PHEV Exclusive. While the nought to sixty figures are impressive, I'm wondering how the fifty to eighty acceleration compares to my current car (Suzuki Vitara 1.4) which is pretty good in that area. Can anyone enlighten me?
Also, I have a ten mile "A" road commute which, I'm told, I should easily be able to do in EV mode. Once a month I do a 350mile round trip on "A" roads dual carriageways and motorway. How bad could the MPG be on a journey like that? I realise it depends how you drive but I ain't gonna do that journey at 50mph.

First if had the information what I know now I would have gone full EV. The car I love but wish it full EV, I do my journey to work on Ev and your 10 miles should be easy. Once run in on a long journey I get around 45 MPG. It quick off the mark have not done any kick down so can not say.

In auto mode "A" road overtaking is good, just keep your foot down and you get a decent rate of acceleration which will take you past tractors and lorries.

With a 350 mile journey, your on the limits of it's range. You get about 300 from the fuel and then your down to battery. I'd recommend filling up at the half way point to leave you a reserve for overtaking fun. The tank on the PHEV is only 37L so drains pretty fast.

Full battery is really for in town trips, short distances and heavy traffic. Don't use it for long range high speed driving, it disappears quite fast at higher speeds.

I get around 37mpg on long journeys. With your trip profile I would expect a long term average mpg of around 63mpg - you'll build it up on your short commutes and bring it down on the long runs. Mines currently at 68mpg, being around a 70/30 split of EV/Motorway blts.

I had an MG5 but was so fed up with charging infrastructure (not enough, not reliable, too many rfid/accounts/Apps) and behaviour (over stay, used for parking near park and ride, bad manners and the inability to park in the bays by many) on the occasional long journey. So I went back to a PHEV which suits my needs for local EV driving and confidence on the occasional long trip. I'll go back to full EV next time probably?

Thanks all.
Jto, I think I'll "need" hybrid. "Range anxiety".
a1970man, taking me past tractors and lorries doesn't sound too inspiring. The range you mention is off putting. When I went from a diesel Galaxy (400+) to a petrol vitara (<=400), I wasn't over the moon about that.
TWbm, that's sounds OK. I currently get 45-50mpg but it works the other way as you might expect. Up near the 50mpg on long journeys, 45ish on my commutes.
C6MFC, that's very interesting. Might take a while for that to improve. Manners could be a different story altogether.

Thanks all.
a1970man, taking me past tractors and lorries doesn't sound too inspiring. The range you mention is off putting. When I went from a diesel Galaxy (400+) to a petrol vitara (<=400), I wasn't over the moon about that.
TWbm, that's sounds OK. I currently get 45-50mpg but it works the other way as you might expect. Up near the 50mpg on long journeys, 45ish on my commutes.
C6MFC, that's very interesting. Might take a while for that to improve. Manners could be a different story altogether.
Hi
A year ago the range was around 150 miles and I was thinking the same as I go to Norfolk a few times a year And not many chargers there, but since then there more chargers and planing is the thing. I have watched a number of videos and reading articles I now worked out how to cam this down. Always have a few options to charge do not queue for hours there is alway some ware to charge on long journey. The car can have a longer rage now and one good thing i believe there is that some charge are free to use. Most of the time you be around home where you will charge.

just don’t rule it out do some home work, the cost of fuel here is bad but you must be paying a lot more where you live.

Thanks all.

When I said lorries and tractors I meant it has more than enough shove to get you past anything you need to pass. Plus the combined shove off the line leave most cars in your wake. I've left more than one or two surprised boy racers behind at the lights (the wife frequently tells me to behave).

The range is a trade off, My last car (Mercedes C class diesel) had a healthy 600 mile plus range and the HS PHEV 300 takes a little getting used to and prior planning. But, it has many more features that the previous cars did not.

Over last 12 months Ive been do a regular 24mile commute each day in EV mode and then charge whilst at work for the return journey so all in all works out fine .. like other folks on here I’ve averaged 65mpg overall and I’ve done longer journeys than I anticipated so pretty pleased ..11,300 miles in total since new.
New job with company car means I’m parting with my MG which is a shame as it’s been a great vehicle

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom