• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

OVMS support is coming

Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi All,

Not sure if you have seen this elsewhere, but the guys working on the MG ZS EV and OVMS have made some good progress.

At the moment we can only read stuff and not send any commands yet.

The Android app is up and running with MG ZS EV graphics, but the iOS app is being updated, but still displays SoC etc.

to use the app you need to buy the OVMS hardware from their website (Google it!) it costs around £200.

I’m using the iOS app.

40265720-C1C2-4B79-9AB3-6BDFEE73010B.jpeg

4253A25E-4145-4C09-9903-6777290D9CFD.png

Under the steering wheel close to the bonnet release. It’s exposed. Not hidden.
Hi Mike,

So can you tell us how you install it onto the car, how do you access it, for example does it install a new icon on the infotainment system or do you access when you have your Andriod/Apple phone connected and does it display on the infotainment screen in full.

Thanks

Regards

Frank

Hi Mike,

So can you tell us how you install it onto the car, how do you access it, for example does it install a new icon on the infotainment system or do you access when you have your Andriod/Apple phone connected and does it display on the infotainment screen in full.

Thanks

Regards

Frank
1. Just plug the hardware into the OBD2 port. While I’m testing I’ve just stashed everything by the front USB ports. I have the GPS and GSM modems as well.

2. nothing is displayed on the car. Just on a PC or Android/Apple device.

3. it is ‘remote’ monitoring, so I can watch the SoC increase while I’m having a coffee at a motorway service station.

4. with the GPS you can see where the car is.

5. you can see the tyre pressures, the battery temperature and a few other useful things are coming.

1. Just plug the hardware into the OBD2 port. While I’m testing I’ve just stashed everything by the front USB ports. I have the GPS and GSM modems as well.

3. it is ‘remote’ monitoring, so I can watch the SoC increase while I’m having a coffee at a motorway service station.

5. you can see the tyre pressures, the battery temperature and a few other useful things are coming.

To myself, at the minute, this is a nice gimmick to have, but it's not of much practical use. Get it to be able to turn the charging on or off at given times, or at a given percentage. Then, turn on the aircon/heating remotely and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Frank

Hi Folks,
Sounds very interesting and I am tempted to get it. However some people are claiming it is not necessary as the next generation of home and public chargers +/- updates from 2021 will all have remote SOC monitoring. In fact in Manchester the new Be.EV charging system has such an app. The system is not fully functional but the app works Excellently when I tried it. Shows SOC.
I think until the OVMS kit can be used for command functions such as pre heating or cooling 200 pounds may be too much money. Not sure?????

I imagine additional functionality is coming soon, looks like other cars gain remote climate control.

I wonder if this will allow us to use openai?

Hi Kas , are the be ev chargers still free?
Hi Alambros
Yes the new GMEV is now BVFGM charge points and they are still free.
My last check was at the weekend.
Be.EV informed me they have been instructed to remain free till the end of autumn when they will then change to pay as you charge. You will need your old GMEV CYC card to activate the new Be.EV BVFGM charging STATIONS.
You may also register with Be.EV but not include you payment details but be able to use the app.
GMEV have promised to give at least a couple of weeks notice before the switch to pay as you charge and Be.EV are offering a monthly billing system for registered users.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom