Owners Manual Rev 2 updates - Beware!

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
As an exercise, I'm going through Rev 2 of the MG4 manual identifying the differences from Rev 1 (I'll be posting my findings later).
What I've found so far though, is that several illustrations have been updated - but only to change the RHD screens to LHD!! The basic information is the same, but all of us RHD owners will now find most of the screens that are displayed on the centre screen (i.e. the Infotainment screen and the Air Con screen) are now reversed in the manual! You couldn't make it up, could you!!

I'm afraid I have previous experience working with Chinese technical authors! Our written methods of presenting information are so different I'm surprised there's anything understandable there.

It really needed an engineer fluent in both languages to have performed the translation rather than, as is probably the case, an engineer writing the manual originally in whatever dialect of Chinese they did and then passing it on to a translation bureau.

Oh, and you want quality checks/verification exercises as well?!! I think I see where some of the cost cutting went.

What I hanker for is an explanation of what the various functions actually do (or are supposed to do). It's all very well telling me how to turn the goofleflump on or off, but if I have no idea what the goofleflump is for or why I might want it, it's not a good start.
I couldn't agree more!!

I am tempted not to supply Rev2 manuals, and to offer printing of Rev1 only. They've also changed all the mph figures to km/h. I don't think Rev 2 is suitable for the UK now.

Most translation is done using machine learning (note this does not mean Google Translate) which works well on words but cannot handle images very well. It has a memory of the original in both languages and therefore only has to deal with changes in theory.

Translation should be done into the mother tongue of the translator - in this case by someone whose first language is English. This sorts the nuance issue out. I would bet that wasn’t the case.

And yes the first thing that goes when cutting costs is any verification, which should pick up the photos issues.

Translation is a real skill, it’s not just a case of being fluent, and when it comes to technical stuff (eg medical where you really can’t afford to get it wrong) verification is mandatory.

Source - parents-in-law had their own translation business for 30+years.

Ok, here's the list of differences between Rev1 and Rev2 of the Owner's Manual.
I don't know how many of you agree with me, but I believe that Rev2 is either not suitable or was never intended for the UK market. Any thoughts?
See list HERE
Unless anyone can think of a reason not to, I'm only going to be printing off copies of Rev1 for sale, rather than Rev2. I'll make a note to that effect on the MG4 Hard Copy Manuals available at cost thread.

Can you post the two files you were comparing?

That's the MG EU site Bernie ... I think the MG UK site is still showing the original manual.

I think you're right there Ian.
It seems strange though that the site accepted my VIN and presented me with that second revision. :unsure:
I think I'm going to have to apologise to all those that have received copies of the "Revision 2" printed copies and prepare some amendment pages for them.
The odd thing is though, several areas have been changed to reflect RHD cars in that "Revision 2" such as the seat adjuster diagrams, power window switches, position of USB ports etc. It certainly is confusing the issue to be sure.

I think you're right there Ian.
It seems strange though that the site accepted my VIN and presented me with that second revision. :unsure:
I think I'm going to have to apologise to all those that have received copies of the "Revision 2" printed copies and prepare some amendment pages for them.
The odd thing is though, several areas have been changed to reflect RHD cars in that "Revision 2" such as the seat adjuster diagrams, power window switches, position of USB ports etc. It certainly is confusing the issue to be sure.
Sloucher has done a great job with manuals and makes no profit, and having bought V2 recently they are very well produced and must be time consuming to put together.

I noticed all the speeds are in Km/h but wasn't too worried and wouldn't expect a replacment.

Sloucher has done a great job with manuals and makes no profit, and having bought V2 recently they are very well produced and must be time consuming to put together.

I noticed all the speeds are in Km/h but wasn't too worried and wouldn't expect a replacment.
Same here. Excellent value and very professional

The more I look into this, the more I'm convinced that it's not just a translation thing. Revision 2 has removed the wheel change procedure - including where to position the jack - completely. Why???
I'll post a list of the changes I have found in a short while.
As there is neither a jack nor a spare wheel with the MG4, changing a wheel is not an end user activity, so it makes sense to not publish the information.

As there is neither a jack nor a spare wheel with the MG4, changing a wheel is not an end user activity, so it makes sense to not publish the information.
Whilst that is true, it is useful, nay, crucial to know where the jacking strong points are. Not all punctures are repairable and anyway - how do you raise the car enough to get under it to wipe away the leaking oil???

Translation should be done into the mother tongue of the translator - in this case by someone whose first language is English. This sorts the nuance issue out. I would bet that wasn’t the case.

Translation is a real skill, it’s not just a case of being fluent, and when it comes to technical stuff (eg medical where you really can’t afford to get it wrong) verification is mandatory.

I've done some translation, Italian to English, and it can be quite difficult where you don't even know some of the English technical vocabulary, goofleflump being a very good example! So I now know a fair bit about the process of steel tube making and downhill ski racing.. It's not even nuance sometimes: as a favour I quickly looked at a translation for an old client and no, we don't call snowshoes snowrackets, although that's what the literal translation is from Italian.

But yes, always the mother tongue of the translator, even if you sometimes point out mistakes in the original copy.

I've got revision 2, and to be honest, the only information I'd like are the jacking points. With previous cars I've put on winter tyres on steel wheels and done the change myself. I'd also like to carry a spare with me if I'm going somewhere a bit rural or off the beaten track.

Edit: I can probably find the relevant page for myself, but if Sloucher can post a link here we can all benefit!;-)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back