Ownership so far with public charging only!

STJ73

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
It's been 7 weeks now with my gorgeous Black Trophy LR and I can't charge at home ( I live 8 floors up in a high-rise building ) coming from my 2021 VW T-Roc R I said to myself I'll be over the moon if the price of fuel ( electricity) is around the same as I was paying in petrol ( £20 would give me around 100 miles) so far I charge about once a week and the most I've spent is £19.. the location council has let a company put in X3 charge ports ( 22kw ) almost outside my building in the village. The price if I charge after 7pm is only 40p per kWh. So what I'm saying is it's definitely cheaper than petrol but not by much and yes if I lived in a house I'd 100% get a charger fitted. But don't let it put you off buying a EV! Even the salesman was shocked that I couldn't charge at home....

I have a friend who lives in a terrace house, who had no suitable chargers nearby and thought she couldn't get an EV. But a couple of weeks ago I checked on ZapMap and look what had suddenly appeared, less than 15 minutes walk away.

1701078318153.png

She's mad if she doesn't go for it now.

Member @QLeo has been running an SE LR from an off-grid house that doesn't have enough solar and wind to charge a car. He's in Highland region, where the dummies on the council raised the CPS prices to 70p/KWh. And yet he has calculated that his charging costs for the MG4 are less than the cost of diesel for his previous car. He has written a blog post about it.

I think a difficulty with public charging is balancing the battery. At least with the Trophy you only have to do it once a month. But you have to find an AC charger where you can leave the car long enough to do the business, and if you don't have one within walking distance I think that could be awkward.

I have, indeed, blogged about our experience, so thanks for that, @Rolfe . There's an "EVs" category that will allow you to bypass the other nonsense on my blog if you are interested. I'm happy to answer any questions I can.
Interestingly, our logic fitted the OP - we reasoned that our situation was little different to those who live in flats or elsewhere where their own chargers are not possible.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back