Paint peeling off bumper

I've recently spotted paint peeling off the front bumper. One patch near the headlight is pretty obvious, the other is a little more subtle and linear in nature. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this? I'd welcome opinions as to the likely best remedy to ask for ie would a dealer be able to touch up to completely repair?
PXL_20230802_092122871~2.jpg
PXL_20230802_092254513~3.jpg
Many thanks

That picture in the OP is not of "soft paint".
It could have started with a chip though, then been stripped by the jet wash

Thanks for all your comments. I can say for sure that there hasn't been any impacts/damage to cause this. I think it's interesting that there are linear cracks appearing just along from the main patch that's peeling - not at the point of maximum curvature that would be most prone. I'll definitely be in touch with the dealer to see what they make of it...

I've seen this on many other cars (clear coat normally) and whilst it could be down to a paint defect the standard dealer response for anything on the front bumper tends to assume stone chip damage i.e. customer responsibility.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it certainly looks like a poor preparation process to me or lack of any plastic adhesive promotor /primer.
It could suggest that the coloured base coat and lacquer have peeled together, revealing
the black area seen in the picture.
This is the actual raw colour of the moulded plastic bumper cover itself.
The bumper cover has not been prepped correctly prior to paint, or the plastic primer adhesive coat has been completely missed in the process.
The plastic primer coat bonds tightly to the plastic cover and then it can be primed prior base coat & lacquer.
With out the plastic adhesive promotor applied first, when the plastic bumper cover flexes, the paint just cracks then flakes off due to the lack of adhesion between each paint application.
Effectively then the base coat & lacquer etc is just sitting on the surface of the plastic bumper cover and not boded to the surface.
As it is unclear if it is just a few bad contaminated areas under the paint or indeed the whole bumper that is affected, then the cover should be removed and completely sanded / stripped back.
Otherwise a local repair could see you end up chasing the problem again at a later date in time.

Last edited:
Quick update on my peeling paint, I've launched an official complaint against my local MG dealership & MG UK with The Motor Ombudsman as neither seem willing to honour the MG Warranty. I'm hoping the Ombudsman will be able to hold MG to account and settle this matter...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back