Parking Brake - Slight Motion After Taking Foot Off Brake

Jon Farmer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have noticed that if I am parking on an incline that when you put the car into park and then press the button to engage the parking brake, that after taking your foot off the brake there is a slight movement until the parking brake catches. Does anyone else have this or is there a problem with the car?

Putting it into Park automatically engages the Parking Brake. You don't need to operate the Parking Brake button again.

Just keep your foot on the brake until you hear the parking brake stop whirring.
There will be some movement, as you let go of the brake pedal on an uphill incline, as the suspension settles on to the rear wheels when the front brakes let go, as with any car.

I went on a bit of a trip in mine today. Using the MG Pilot stuff, if you come to a stop on an uphill because of a stationary vehicle in front it definitely rolls back an inch or two before the parking brake applies. A bit disconcerting for any driver who is close behind :)

This is all totally normal and happens on ICE cars. The handbrake only brakes the rear wheels and the movement you feel is the weight of the car moving back onto the rear axle.

As EVs are very heavy you notice it more.

I have noticed that if I am parking on an incline that when you put the car into park and then press the button to engage the parking brake, that after taking your foot off the brake there is a slight movement until the parking brake catches. Does anyone else have this or is there a problem with the car?
Putting it into Park automatically engages the Parking Brake. You don't need to operate the Parking Brake button again.

In all honesty, I rarely even put the car in Park - just turning it off engages the parking brake.

Yep all options work :) , a multi talented car. Either put into Park, or press the big P, or just turn off, they all do the same thing, no need to do more than one.
@Jon Farmer As highlighted in bold above, out of curiosity how are you putting it into park and then which button are you pressing ?

I noticed this at traffic lights, there's a slight delay after you press the handbrake switch, so either keep your foot on the brake for an extra second or alternatively press the A (auto) button behind the handbrake button. You will find that as soon as you come to a halt the handbrake comes on instantly with no delay. You don't need to switch it off, just press accelerator and it comes off automatically. Useful in stop/start traffic to save you holding the footbrake all the time.

I noticed this at traffic lights, there's a slight delay after you press the handbrake switch, so either keep your foot on the brake for an extra second or alternatively press the A (auto) button behind the handbrake button. You will find that as soon as you come to a halt the handbrake comes on instantly with no delay. You don't need to switch it off, just press accelerator and it comes off automatically. Useful in stop/start traffic to save you holding the footbrake all the time.
I think you might need to read your manual. What you are doing is not needed.

The car has a auto handbrake and hill start assist.

I’ve not touched my handbrake switch or the auto button in a whole year of ownership. Just set it and carry on.

I think you might need to read your manual. What you are doing is not needed.

The car has a auto handbrake and hill start assist.

I’ve not touched my handbrake switch or the auto button in a whole year of ownership. Just set it and carry on.
I have not touched the handbrake since I got the car, usage of the P or autohold or just turning off covers that.

I do use autohold to prevent creep around town, a wonderful bit of technology, but always turn it off when maneuvering such as parking

Have tested/used the hill start assist, it works well but I can't be bothered to sit with my foot on the brake when autohold will do it for me :) .

I have not touched the handbrake since I got the car, usage of the P or autohold or just turning off covers that.

I do use autohold to prevent creep around town, a wonderful bit of technology, but always turn it off when maneuvering such as parking

Have tested/used the hill start assist, it works well but I can't be bothered to sit with my foot on the brake when autohold will do it for me :) .
Totally agree!

By autohold do you mean the auto handbrake or something different? Only the auto handbrake seems to turn itself off between drives (as many things do).

I reported further upthread how the auto handbrake allows the car to drop back an inch or two when coming to an "automated" stop (i.e. on CC/ACC) on an upward incline. Not enough to worry me, but the driver behind could get agitated, as some do so easily...

The only thing I've notice with the auto hold regarding roll, is if I'm facing downhill.
My drive has a decent incline so the car must think I'm trying to drive off as the forward pull must trigger the release.
This happens after around 2 seconds of no for on the brake.
Uphill I've not notice any roll back.

By autohold do you mean the auto handbrake or something different? Only the auto handbrake seems to turn itself off between drives (as many things do).

I reported further upthread how the auto handbrake allows the car to drop back an inch or two when coming to an "automated" stop (i.e. on CC/ACC) on an upward incline. Not enough to worry me, but the driver behind could get agitated, as some do so easily...
Autohold I'm referring to is the button behind the little parking brake lever. It illuminates a green P on the dash when engaged instead of the red one when the P is used or car turned off.
It engages when foot is on the footbrake and car has stopped, at which point you can release the footbrake.
I have not noticed any rollback with autohold, but that sometimes occurs for me when using the P and I release the footbrake too quickly before it has engaged.
Sorry if this is related to eggs and Grandma's. :)

Ok, ta.

I think I'm seeing the rollback as I'm talking about when you are using the in-traffic thing to stop with rather than the footbrake. Not a biggie though.

Ok, ta.

I think I'm seeing the rollback as I'm talking about when you are using the in-traffic thing to stop with rather than the footbrake. Not a biggie though.
No worries, but as this car doesn't have one pedal driving, the footbrake is always required regardless to bring the car to a complete standstill.
Either to engage auto hold or to hold the car for hill start assist the footbrake has to be used.

Fair enough but it works as one foot when not on hills and using the ACC, and can bring you to a stop (e.g. traffic bound motorways)

Fair enough but it works as one foot when not on hills and using the ACC, and can bring you to a stop (e.g. traffic bound motorways)
Agreed, ACC is it's own wonderful beast with it's own rules.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom