Parking lights

PowderblueKes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hey,

Slightly strange one.

The wife likes to park up and do some writing/odd jobs when waiting for a pickup from the bus station/park and ride. When she does, she's been trying in vain to turn off the front lights.

Even if you turn off the active lighting and there's no light icons on the dashboard, the MG4 seems to have lights on by default when in P at night.

Anyone seen/have any idea on how to turn these off so you can just sit parked? I'm assuming the belt and braces solution is to try the turn/switch off function in settings to shut the entire car down?

Thanks!

Hey,

Slightly strange one.

The wife likes to park up and do some writing/odd jobs when waiting for a pickup from the bus station/park and ride. When she does, she's been trying in vain to turn off the front lights.

Even if you turn off the active lighting and there's no light icons on the dashboard, the MG4 seems to have lights on by default when in P at night.

Anyone seen/have any idea on how to turn these off so you can just sit parked? I'm assuming the belt and braces solution is to try the turn/switch off function in settings to shut the entire car down?

Thanks!
Yes, the only way I've found in this situation is to shut the car down. I'd love it if there was another way!

These are the daytime running lights so come on whenever the car is powered up. Probably a ncap requirement. I have not seen a control for them unless they are on a single fused circuit so you can remove the fuse.

As long as the car is in a ready state (the foot brake has been pressed) the lights won't flatten the 12v battery as it will be topped up by the main one and as the lights use very little power so there is no fear of running out of power.

It's just a bit embarrassing sometimes because the DRLs are really bright. I've had "you've left your lights on!" when it's only been the DRLs in broad daylight.

Also, if I drive up to my aurora viewing spot I need to extinguish all lights, but I don't want to have to get out of the car to do it. Maybe getting out and locking, then unlocking and re-entering to sit in the passenger seat would work?

You should be able to power down from the info screen, car then dark tab I think. Whether it triggers an alarm becauae you are still in the seat I do not know.

Dunno. But sitting in the passenger seat should do it.

Imagine a couple of private eyes tailing the suspect and sitting (chain-smoking!) in their car watching the doors of the building. They better not be in an MG4!

How to turn off all lights on an MG4 when it is stationary.

Sitting in drivers seat, car in ready mode.

Turn the car of in the safety "screen" (car menu).
This turn off every light on the outside of the car and the screen infront of the driver.

Then turn the big screen off to get the car completly dark. For access to turn off big screen, drag down from top of the big screen (whatch out couse dragging over heater info in the middle will give you the heater controlls instead).
Choose screen off and every light is off (I often use this function to get the car darker when driving at night).

Once you lift your arse from the driver seat the car come to life again, to avoid that sit in the front passenger seat and do the same.

Last edited:
Though I never had an ICE car with daytime running lights I assume that they stayed on if the car engine was running. That equates to the MG4 being powered up. As described above you can power off the car from the centre console and all external lights will go off.

For those in the know, do DRLs come on if you just insert the ignition key or just when the engine is running?

I'm looking at a suitable-sized tarpaulin/ground sheet that could be laid over the car's nose to hide the lights while it's stationary but powered up. I'm thinking about doing some trials of sleeping in the car, but the first ones will have to be in my own driveway within reach of the charger for safety, and I don't want the neighbours knocking to say "you've left your car's lights on".

The lights have always gone out when I lock the car and leave it. Tonight they stayed on and my wife spotted it lit up about 4 hours later when it had got dark. The screen displayed “lights left on” and the battery was down to 12.0 volts.
Surely the ISMART app vehicle status check should report lights left on!
Also why did they stay on this time? I dont think I used the light switch today.

Last edited:
You might have inadvertently toggled the auto-lights switch instead of the intermittent wipe speed switch. (I did this a couple of times this morning. Fortunately it was dark so the lights going out was obvious).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back