People who bought the SE or Trophy, do you wish you'd gone for the other model?

blizeH

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi, I'm looking at the difference between the two and I'm hearing conflicting things, for example I swear I've read on this forum (though I can't find the thread now) that the Trophy has an improved sound system, and also adds the phone app capability of being able to heat or cool your car remotely. My local dealership however say that they are both included with the SE, and the only changes are the ones listed on the website.

My thinking at the moment is:
  • 360° Parking Camera
    This would be really nice, but the dealer said the SE also has it?

• Wireless Mobile Phone Charger
    Would actually like this, but they can be inefficient and we will likely plug in for CarPlay anyway

• Leather Style Upholstery with Contrast Stitching
    Big fan myself, especially that it's vegan leather. Wife isn't overly keen though.

• Heated Front Seats
    Probably not needed with a cloth interior

• Panoramic Sky Roof
    Actually would love this, especially for my son, but I'm wondering if it's just one more thing to potentially go wrong
Have I missed or overlooked anything? Thank you :D

Really it's going to be a case of what features you value. There's a spec sheet attached to this post which is really helpful if you want to compare trims side by side:
Hopefully, attached to this message!

Also here if you'd rather see it on a web page:

Review of an SE:

I don't believe that many facelift ZS have been delivered vs the amount ordered, so heaven knows how many actually have SE's with which to provide feedback.

We bought one of the wireless airplay dongles and that solved the ‘plugging in’ dilemma. Well worth it.

And you can also buy a wireless charger too…which is what we did. So if wireless is the only thing you want it is fixable for less than $150.

Thanks so much guys, super helpful - especially the spec sheet! Seems like there's more to it, and maybe the Trophy is worth the extra then.

Thanks for the heads up on the wireless capabilities! $150 is quite a lot but I guess worth it in the long run :)

Thanks so much guys, super helpful - especially the spec sheet! Seems like there's more to it, and maybe the Trophy is worth the extra then.

Thanks for the heads up on the wireless capabilities! $150 is quite a lot but I guess worth it in the long run :)
One thing I like about MG is that so far, their entry level trims don't feel like a poverty option. I preferred the cloth seats in the SE, but for me the Trophy was worth the extra as I definitely wanted things like the blind spot monitoring and heated seats.

Not everyone will find those bits useful though, which makes the SE a great choice and means keeping that extra cash in pocket :)

I ordered an SE as I don't really like (P)leather seats, not fussed on sun roof, and didn't need the other extras, and very tight budget. Yes, the SE has 360 cameras. One advantage of the heated leather seats though is in winter you can use them for warmth rather than the AC/heater. The seats draw on the 12v battery and the car heater draws on the HV battery and reduces range. The rear crossing sensor might also be useful but I don't regulary have to reverse out into traffic on a busy road. I currently drive the basic "exite" Mk1 and it's fine. What to get is all a bit of a fantasy at the moment though as there are massive delays in delivery. If you can eventually get one I am sure you will be happy with it.

We bought one of the wireless airplay dongles and that solved the ‘plugging in’ dilemma. Well worth it.

And you can also buy a wireless charger too…which is what we did. So if wireless is the only thing you want it is fixable for less than $150.
Hi

I've got the new ZS Trophy connect on order and have the convenience of wireless charging but will need to plug in for Android Auto, wireless dongle sounds great.

Which model did you get, can you post a link?

Thanks

I ordered an SE as I don't really like (P)leather seats, not fussed on sun roof, and didn't need the other extras, and very tight budget. Yes, the SE has 360 cameras. One advantage of the heated leather seats though is in winter you can use them for warmth rather than the AC/heater. The seats draw on the 12v battery and the car heater draws on the HV battery and reduces range. The rear crossing sensor might also be useful but I don't regulary have to reverse out into traffic on a busy road. I currently drive the basic "exite" Mk1 and it's fine. What to get is all a bit of a fantasy at the moment though as there are massive delays in delivery. If you can eventually get one I am sure you will be happy with it.
The rear cross traffic alert is the only thing I'd miss as it's real handy for when you're backing out of a charging bay, having had to park nose in due to the charging port being at the front.

The main point of the heated seats is they draw about 40 watts, whereas the heating uses about 3000 watts. So the both use power from the HV battery, but the heated seats make very little difference to range.
Agree but heated seats will just take the chill off the pleather which cloth seats are far less prone to. If you want to be warm in the car then use the heater which all models have.

The main point of the heated seats is they draw about 40 watts, whereas the heating uses about 3000 watts. So the both use power from the HV battery, but the heated seats make very little difference to range.
I see, I knew one hit range and the other didn't but made the wrong assumption as to why. Most of my journeys are short and local so range rarely an issue. However, I have two relatively regularly trips that take me to the very limits of the range. I know in summer and sensible driving I can just about make it to a bank of reliable chargers, but in winter and if I so much as look at the heater I am doomed! It is for the bit of extra flexibility that I want the longer range model.

I see, I knew one hit range and the other didn't but made the wrong assumption as to why. Most of my journeys are short and local so range rarely an issue. However, I have two relatively regularly trips that take me to the very limits of the range. I know in summer and sensible driving I can just about make it to a bank of reliable chargers, but in winter and if I so much as look at the heater I am doomed! It is for the bit of extra flexibility that I want the longer range model.
Pre-heat the car. The main heater only guzzles energy when it is warming the car up. maintaining the warmth should have a pretty minimal draw. I'd rather be warm and stop for a 15 minute splash and dash en-route than suffer the cold for a couple of hours if pre-heating still didn't give enough range.

Pre-heat the car. The main heater only guzzles energy when it is warming the car up. maintaining the warmth should have a pretty minimal draw. I'd rather be warm and stop for a 15 minute splash and dash en-route than suffer the cold for a couple of hours if pre-heating still didn't give enough range.
Yes, good advice, and I do that. Once I have got to the D/C Rapid charger I give it another good heat as I charge up and am fine for second leg. It's just that first run where I am pushing it on the range. I have tried splash and dash, no choice on one or two trips, but little dashing is involved with these stops as the route is woefully under supplied with working chargers and the ones that are working have had queues. Day to day range is not an issue for me and I find the guess-ometer is pretty accurate. Range anxiety not really an issue but I confess to charger anxiety; the app says its working but is it really? Sorry, I am drifting away from Blizeh's original Q here, am sure you will be pleased with your Trophy.

The heated seats draw their power, from the cars 12 Volt battery under the bonnet.
As does the cabin heater blower motor.
The heater element that provides the heat for the cabin, does pull it's power from the HV battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom