ZS Trophy SR or MG5 Exclusive LR. What do I buy?

AllGood

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello folks.
I'm about to pop my EV cherry and have a choice. Some will think it's obvious either way I suspect. Have floated around this group for a couple of weeks and appreciate your good nature and superior knowledge, so can I ask for your experience and opinion please.
My diesel VW CC has bombed so hand is forced somewhat.
For the same price I can get a ZS SR Trophy which is available at local dealer now or an MG5 Exclusive long range available "this month".
My quandary is as follows..
From a design and aesthetic pov I think I prefer the ZS with the facelift, pan roof, app, driving position, interior, red stitching (why the hell to I care about that).
On the other hand the MG5 has that extra 50mile range. It's an estate, I've owned a couple, more storage room (I mountain bike and also tend to use a large boot as a nice outdoor metal wardrobe/shed) and this is practical, although I fancy a change in style too. Ultimately I find the 5 a little bland and boring in design, not at all slating anyone else's opinions, just my feel for it, but it does seem a practical option.
Ultimately, does the 50mile range make enough of a difference? Want to make the right decision for the family.
I drive 65 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. Add between 30/50 miles extra dad taxiing then with a ZS SR running at say average 180 range I'm charging 2 and a bit times a week.
With a MG5 twice a week for sure.
Then comes in the efficiency on longer holiday trips to West Wales.
Would obvs like a ZS LR to solve the problem but funds don't allow.
What are your thoughts? Will I just be jibbering with range anxiety or does it not make that make that much difference in my situation?
I thank you in advance for your wisdom and time.

It just sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of ZS LR when with your commute it's probably the one to get?

Haha, perhaps.
I assume you mean talking myself out of MG5 LR?
Your biggest problem is miles so you may want the 5 the face lift on the other hand is a bit more refined your bikes will go on the roof so it is a bit of a dilemma
One thing to think of the SR you can charge to 100% pritty much all the time and the LR only ever now and then it likes 80%

Seems a bit like you've got a head vs heart dilemma. You are not alone - I think a lot of people have been torn when it comes to choosing between the two:

I went for the ZS as I prefer the slightly more compact size, plus I wanted a better seating height - especially for ease of getting older family in/out, & prefer the updated infotainment and exterior styling.

The MG5 is still a nice car though, and at least you get the auto-dimming mirror the ZS is still missing 😁

It's a shame the facelift MG5 isn't here yet as that'd probably be the best of both worlds for you. Maybe you can trade in for that in a couple of years if it ever gets here.

Your biggest problem is miles so you may want the 5 the face lift on the other hand is a bit more refined your bikes will go on the roof so it is a bit of a dilemma
One thing to think of the SR you can charge to 100% pritty much all the time and the LR only ever now and then it likes 80%
Thank you.
You're right, there is a little dilemma.
How does the SR like getting to 100% more that the LR? And this would make a difference to me I assume?

This might be of interest to you also. @Mihir posted a great write up of long journey in a SR ZS:
At least it might give you some idea whether the range is something you can live with.

Also if an app matters, then I don't think you have that functionality with the 5.

Last edited:
SR is a LFP battery
LR is a NMC battery
Thanks again.
Some newb googlage was needed for me to understand this.
I wonder if over 4 years a car with an LFP might hold its value slightly more as well as it's battery capacity? Interesting.
So much to learn about.
Cheers

I think they both come with 8 year warranty so at 4 years it shouldn't make to much difference but unfortunately only time will tell

This might be of interest to you also. @Mihir posted a great write up of long journey in a SR ZS:
At least it might give you some idea whether the range is something you can live with.

Also if an app matters, then I don't think you have that functionality with the 5.
Thanks. Really interesting.

I love the mg5 but it is quirky.

1. Seat doesn't go low enough for my liking. So I have raised it but that feels strange as well.
2. Seat is quite narrow. Surprised more people don't comment on this. Also the seat isn't as comfortable as my old astra.
3. Infotainment system often doesn't do anything when you touch the screen. After a few attempts it works.
4. Adaptive cruise control on winding lanes is a bit overly sensitive. Might be my settings.
5. I find the boot a bit small. I had an astra Estate before which was massive.
6. No app is a pain when away from the car and charging.
7. No ability to limit charge to 80%
8. Likely plenty of other niggles.

Now for the good stuff....
1. It is super cheap for an ev with 61kwh battery.
2. It is very fast. No tesla but off the lights it is amazing.
3. Super smooth ride. Often feel like I am floating.

If you want cheap this is your car. If you want refinement and to spend more.... Look elsewhere.

Thanks. Really interesting.
No problem - sorry there's not more I can offer.

G'night all.

You definitely need to test drive both it may make your decision easier or harder 😜

Thanks all for you replies. It is much appreciated.
Also, I realise I may be asking perrenial questions covered elsewhere/before on here, but thanks to those for the links to other chats too, really interesting.
So far I've driven the ZS SR, really liked it. Next up in few day is a drive of the 5 and a decision.
Cheers

Does a towbar swing it for you? The ZS can have a towbar fitted and although only a 50kg nose weight is still useful for a bike rack. I think bikes on the roof would kill the range far more.

I have owned the Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh, which had 150 mile range, and currently own a Kona 64kWh with +300 mile range. The 150 mile range was never a problem as you learn where the good chargers are, and range anxiety becomes range awareness. The extra range of the Kona is useful when you have unexpected journeys and don't have a full charge. It makes journey planning that much easier. Got to agree about the 5, the extra room was tempting, but the Trophy looks and panoramic roof clinched it.

Does a towbar swing it for you? The ZS can have a towbar fitted and although only a 50kg nose weight is still useful for a bike rack. I think bikes on the roof would kill the range far more.
This is a consideration. Towbar fitted bike rack is the ideal option, although pricier and an estate will take a bike I suppose.

I have owned the Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh, which had 150 mile range, and currently own a Kona 64kWh with +300 mile range. The 150 mile range was never a problem as you learn where the good chargers are, and range anxiety becomes range awareness. The extra range of the Kona is useful when you have unexpected journeys and don't have a full charge. It makes journey planning that much easier. Got to agree about the 5, the extra room was tempting, but the Trophy looks and panoramic roof clinched it.
Interesting take Gadget Geek. Thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom