People who bought the SE or Trophy, do you wish you'd gone for the other model?

Yes, good advice, and I do that. Once I have got to the D/C Rapid charger I give it another good heat as I charge up and am fine for second leg. It's just that first run where I am pushing it on the range. I have tried splash and dash, no choice on one or two trips, but little dashing is involved with these stops as the route is woefully under supplied with working chargers and the ones that are working have had queues. Day to day range is not an issue for me and I find the guess-ometer is pretty accurate. Range anxiety not really an issue but I confess to charger anxiety; the app says its working but is it really? Sorry, I am drifting away from Blizeh's original Q here, am sure you will be pleased with your Trophy.
Absolutely agree about charger anxiety as that is the primary source of EV anxiety rather than range.

On paper the bits I'd seriously consider that the SE lacks is the blind spot detection. Everything else is potentially one more thing to go wrong. I expect the SE is a great car but at the end of the day, at least for me, it's the toys so went for the Connect!

The heated seats draw their power, from the cars 12 Volt battery under the bonnet.
As does the cabin heater blower motor.
The heater element that provides the heat for the cabin, does pull it's power from the HV battery.
That was my understanding, it's the 12v battery not the HV battery that powers the seat heating. Like the lights and wipers. All of which continue to work if (when!) the HV battery isolates/shuts off. Others say not. I suppose the main point in this thread is that the seats do not really affect range but the car heater does. I think outside temperature, speed, hills, and a head wind are the big range killers but can't prove that; just anecdotal experience.

That was my understanding, it's the 12v battery not the HV battery that powers the seat heating. Like the lights and wipers. All of which continue to work if (when!) the HV battery isolates/shuts off. Others say not. I suppose the main point in this thread is that the seats do not really affect range but the car heater does. I think outside temperature, speed, hills, and a head wind are the big range killers but can't prove that; just anecdotal experience.
The point for this thread is that seat heating is not a reason to not go for an SE. The more subtle point is that heated seats won't magically keep you warm and get you further either.

Just to clarify.
Heater element runs off the HV battery, heater fan motor runs off the 12 volt battery.
In this picture you can clearly see the orange high voltage cables that power the heater element.
Heated seats can be seen as a alternative to provide instant heat and does not have any affect on a loss of range.

Tesla HV heater wiring 2021-06-24 at 21.09.38.png

The point for this thread is that seat heating is not a reason to not go for an SE. The more subtle point is that heated seats won't magically keep you warm and get you further either.

Hi, I'm looking at the difference between the two and I'm hearing conflicting things, for example I swear I've read on this forum (though I can't find the thread now) that the Trophy has an improved sound system, and also adds the phone app capability of being able to heat or cool your car remotely. My local dealership however say that they are both included with the SE, and the only changes are the ones listed on the website.

My thinking at the moment is:
  • 360° Parking Camera
    This would be really nice, but the dealer said the SE also has it?

• Wireless Mobile Phone Charger
    Would actually like this, but they can be inefficient and we will likely plug in for CarPlay anyway

• Leather Style Upholstery with Contrast Stitching
    Big fan myself, especially that it's vegan leather. Wife isn't overly keen though.

• Heated Front Seats
    Probably not needed with a cloth interior

• Panoramic Sky Roof
    Actually would love this, especially for my son, but I'm wondering if it's just one more thing to potentially go wrong
Have I missed or overlooked anything? Thank you :D
i have the trophy and no regrets. apple car play gets me most of what the connect gives you. plus... and its a big +, i'm driving it now..... not in 6-8 months time, which is how long i would of had to wait :)

People keep saying that things run off the 12v battery, which they do, but the point is the 12v battery is charged from the HV battery, so basically even the wipers are using HV battery power!
You are 100% totally correct of course, but this is the same in a ICE car.
In a ICE car the alternator is required to replace the energy consumed from the 12 volt battery.
Without the alternator, the 12 volt battery would go flat very quickly.
The alternator is providing roughly about 14.5 volts back to the battery, the alternator is driven by the engine which in turn, then affects the economy of the car.
This is true with an EV, but it’s a necessary evil to feed the 12 volt accessories of the car.
Having less items running from the 12 volt battery will help with the range of course.
With a 12 volt battery in good condition, then the power demanded from the HV battery to keep the 12 volt at good SOC is fairly small.
The Regen gained could likely satisfy the demand of the 12 volt battery.
But you get nothing for nothing unfortunately in this world 🤣.

I wish I had gone for the Trophy instead of Connect because I would have had a car by now instead of in 6 more months.
Don't count on that, I ordered a Trophy LR in November and I am now being told June for delivery instead of end of March when I ordered it.

To answer the original question, I think the panaromic roof on its own is enough to choose the trophy over the se. I do also like the leather seats (although I might reconsider after going through a summer). I was lucky enough to order just before the grant decrease though, but I think I would have still gone for it.

To answer the original question, I think the panaromic roof on its own is enough to choose the trophy over the se. I do also like the leather seats (although I might reconsider after going through a summer). I was lucky enough to order just before the grant decrease though, but I think I would have still gone for it.
When first considering buying our first ZS EV we looked at both the Excite and Exclusive trim levels.
I listed the extra’s the Exclusive had over the Excite on a sheet of paper, then went down the list adding a rough estimate of the price of the extra’s.
Before I got half way down the list, the difference in price between the both models had been surpassed !.
Top of the list was the sun roof.
An electric sun roof option on most cars is a £1,000 extra, so instantly takes care of a bit chunk of the price difference.
I also think at the point of resale, a lot of people will opt for an Exclusive over the Excite just because of the “Bang For You Buck”.
Some people don’t like the Pleather seats in the summer time because they can be a little bit sticky, let’s just say !.
The heated seats 💺 are brilliant feature in the winter ❄️ time though.

Test drove a Trophy but the SE seemed very well spec'd for the price and the fact its the school run car and will do very little mileage didn't seem worth it for the few extra bits it gave. Also those plastic seats just look a little too fake not sure how they would stand up to teenagers.

Hi, I'm looking at the difference between the two and I'm hearing conflicting things, for example I swear I've read on this forum (though I can't find the thread now) that the Trophy has an improved sound system, and also adds the phone app capability of being able to heat or cool your car remotely. My local dealership however say that they are both included with the SE, and the only changes are the ones listed on the website.

My thinking at the moment is:
  • 360° Parking Camera
    This would be really nice, but the dealer said the SE also has it?

• Wireless Mobile Phone Charger
    Would actually like this, but they can be inefficient and we will likely plug in for CarPlay anyway

• Leather Style Upholstery with Contrast Stitching
    Big fan myself, especially that it's vegan leather. Wife isn't overly keen though.

• Heated Front Seats
    Probably not needed with a cloth interior

• Panoramic Sky Roof
    Actually would love this, especially for my son, but I'm wondering if it's just one more thing to potentially go wrong
Have I missed or overlooked anything? Thank you :D
All sounds about right, I’ve ordered the SE because that’s the only model that gets government grant of £1,500.

I currently have the MG ZS EV exclusive and never use the sun roof but really need the extra range so hence the new SE for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom