Performance difference between models.

Macadoodle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So I had a 2 hour test drive today, usual orange trophy that the dealers seem to have. Overall - impressed.
Great ride/ handling balance, very pointy (if a little numb) steering, managed to get the tail to step out a little on a couple of occasions (safely) ;)

Reset the driving data at start and I managed 3.4 miles kWh in 11 degrees and wet roads while sensibly ragging it, so I think 4 should be doable with a slightly lighter right foot, pretty decent to be honest.

Anyhoo, gonna have a serious think about it over the weekend and I wondered if anyone has had experience of the performance of the LFP models compared with the LR's ?
The 200bhp of the one I drove today was fine, punchy and pulled well to around 75mph but I don't think I'd like to settle for less .
The confusing thing is MG's own stats for the cars - LFP just 30kg lighter but 30bhp down yet a couple of 10ths quicker to 60 ?
Something doesn't add up

:unsure:

My Trophy feels quicker than the quoted 0-60. A few other have said the same. Matt's Carwow video shows a 7.1 to 60. Regardless of 0-60s the car is quick and overtaking is a joy

So I had a 2 hour test drive today, usual orange trophy that the dealers seem to have. Overall - impressed.
Great ride/ handling balance, very pointy (if a little numb) steering, managed to get the tail to step out a little on a couple of occasions (safely) ;)

Reset the driving data at start and I managed 3.4 miles kWh in 11 degrees and wet roads while sensibly ragging it, so I think 4 should be doable with a slightly lighter right foot, pretty decent to be honest.

Anyhoo, gonna have a serious think about it over the weekend and I wondered if anyone has had experience of the performance of the LFP models compared with the LR's ?
The 200bhp of the one I drove today was fine, punchy and pulled well to around 75mph but I don't think I'd like to settle for less .
The confusing thing is MG's own stats for the cars - LFP just 30kg lighter but 30bhp down yet a couple of 10ths quicker to 60 ?
Something doesn't add up

:unsure:
Maybe they just map the torque curve differently on the LFP model, for some technical reason.

It's the LFP I'd probably go for as it has enough range for my needs. Hey, if its 0-60 is slightly better then thats grand, it's just that I know from experience 30bhp is noticeable, and subtracting 30kg wont change that too much.
Wish the dealers had some SE's to test, I was quoted an 8 week lead time for one so they don't seem to have quite the hens teeth status as the trophies .

PS. grovelled underneath the thing in a muddy side road looking for the dreaded gear oil - none spotted .
They might be steam cleaning it at the end of every day now of course, mum's the word .

It's the LFP I'd probably go for as it has enough range for my needs. Hey, if its 0-60 is slightly better then thats grand, it's just that I know from experience 30bhp is noticeable, and subtracting 30kg wont change that too much.
Wish the dealers had some SE's to test, I was quoted an 8 week lead time for one so they don't seem to have quite the hens teeth status as the trophies .
I have the LFP SE version - even this version feels quicker than the 170bhp quoted (my old car is a 170TDI Tiguan) - and the LFP SE version accelerates quicker than that - which is why the Carwow 0-60 @ 7.1s (Trophy) didn't suprise me.

I have the LFP SE version - even this version feels quicker than the 170bhp quoted (my old car is a 170TDI Tiguan) - and the LFP SE version accelerates quicker than that - which is why the Carwow 0-60 @ 7.1s (Trophy) didn't suprise me.
Can I ask you as an SE owner, do you have to keep the electric window switches pulled up to close a window ? I think they're 'one touch' down but you have to keep your finger on it to close fully, not automatic like the Trophy ?

Thanks.

Wish they did an LFP Trophy. I like the idea of the LFP battery, but want the Trophy-level toys.
Yeah, would be nice to mix and match a little more but keeping the model range dead simple is part of the reason it's 'cheap' I guess.
Personally wouldn't want the rear spoiler for any money, looks a bit ASBO and robs you of 10 miles for no other benefit apparently. :unsure:

Can I ask you as an SE owner, do you have to keep the electric window switches pulled up to close a window ? I think they're 'one touch' down but you have to keep your finger on it to close fully, not automatic like the Trophy ?

Thanks.
SE owner here. One touch up and down for driver's window. One touch down for the others but not for up.

I could live without the split spoiler as well tbh but I think the SE roof looks like it's missing something at the back which, as well as the other extras, is why we've ordered a trophy.
I think they would have been better off with a Cupra Born style deep single roof spoiler for both models and keeping the rear wiper, which I doubt would have affected efficiency that much.

I could live without the split spoiler as well tbh but I think the SE roof looks like it's missing something at the back which, as well as the other extras, is why we've ordered a trophy.
I think they would have been better off with a Cupra Born style deep single roof spoiler for both models and keeping the rear wiper, which I doubt would have affected efficiency that much.
Couldn't agree more

SE owner here. One touch up and down for driver's window. One touch down for the others but not for up.
Thanks for that, that'll do for me. Prefer the more manual option for the rear when I think about it ,as I have a young daughter who likes messing with the rear windows and I often forget to disable them when she's aboard my current car.

Another question if you can indulge me mkp ! Is your SE a long or standard range ? Just trying to find someone who's driven both before I place my order and I'm slightly concerned that the SE LFP might feel a little flat if it does have that 30 bhp deficit they quote.

I'm sure the motors will be identical and it's just mapped differently, but we may be waiting a while before anyone offers a 'tuning' upgrade like an ICE

Last edited:
Thanks for that, that'll do for me. Prefer the more manual option for the rear when I think about it ,as I have a young daughter who likes messing with the rear windows and I often forget to disable them when she's aboard my current car.

Another question if you can indulge me mkp ! Is your SE a long or standard range ? Just trying to find someone who's driven both before I place my order and I'm slightly concerned that the SE LFP might feel a little flat if it does have that 30 bhp deficit they quote.

I'm sure the motors will be identical and it's just mapped differently, but we may be waiting a while before anyone offers a 'tuning' upgrade like an ICE
Mine's a long range. The Mrs picks up hey SR this weekend

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel