Phase 1 vs Phase 2 - same cost which would you have?

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Can get either but phase 1 available now or wait 6 weeks for phase 2 but both are the same price.

Which would you go for??!!

Phase 2 for the one pedal driving alone personally. There’s still hope it’ll come to Phase 1 but that’d be enough to swing it for me.

I don’t know why the dealer won’t discount the phase 1 due to its age but was told thin margins etc.

Richmond MG in Portsmouth have about 30 Phase 2 cars in their compound. I collect mine on Tuesday.
Absolutely no reason to take a phase 1 car unless there is at least £1k off the Affinity price.

Only reason to take a phase 1 is that phase 1 Trophy's are on autotrader for about £29k

Evidently a dealer that thinks you’re unable to check prices elsewhere.
They says because it’s not registered but I agree it doesn’t look right selling it for the same price as a MY23 just because you can buy it now.

They says because it’s not registered but I agree it doesn’t look right selling it for the same price as a MY23 just because you can buy it now.

And I bet if you committed to it, they’d tell you it would be the end of next week at the very earliest before you could collect.
Which makes the ‘now’ thing a bit laughable.

And I bet if you committed to it, they’d tell you it would be the end of next week at the very earliest before you could collect.
Which makes the ‘now’ thing a bit laughable.
It’s there and sat in it but as you say needs 1 week to do checks and updates.

Have ordered the phase 2 which is on the boat and should arrive in 3 weeks or so.

I got the phase two a few days ago and I would wait for that just for the one pedal driving.
Didn't think I'd like it but I really enjoy it.
Either way it's a great car. I ordered mine in may so would have been happy with both but I've got lucky.

Didn’t know about Afinity being open to all - just sent off the forms.

It’s on 0% APR so is there still a saving?

Can I cancel my order as the car hasn’t arrived?

Dealer never mentioned Afinity so do all dealers do it?

Affinity or 0%. You can't have both. Add the interest to the affinity price and it is more expensive than the 0%. The downside is that the 0% requires a much bigger deposit.

Affinity or 0%. You can't have both. Add the interest to the affinity price and it is more expensive than the 0%. The downside is that the 0% requires a much bigger deposit.
I was doing the 0% as it was low monthly cost.

Have put in an Afinity request and will see what they come back with 👍

Only reason to take a phase 1 is that phase 1 Trophy's are on autotrader for about £29k
Incorrect. Phase 1 cars come with the black roof and matching mirrors, also smaller wheels (slightly better ride) and clearer rear view (no middle headrest or rear wiper).

Some people will prefer that and if they are cheaper too, why not.

Newer isn't always better, especially with electric cars when the lifespan is likely to be longer.

Incorrect. Phase 1 cars come with the black roof and matching mirrors, also smaller wheels (slightly better ride) and clearer rear view (no middle headrest or rear wiper).

Some people will prefer that and if they are cheaper too, why not.

Newer isn't always better, especially with electric cars when the lifespan is likely to be longer.
There is very little difference between the profiles of the tyres, I think the ride difference is negligible.
The big thing is do phase 2 cars have a temp gauge!!

Actually prefer a phase 1 trophy though, great deals to be had, black roof & mirrors set it off and 11kw AC charging is a big plus

Last edited:
There is very little difference between the profiles of the tyres, I think the ride difference is negligible.
The big thing is do phase 2 cars have a temp gauge!!
Don't mention #tempgate, you'll set them off again!
Actually prefer a phase 1 trophy though, great deals to be had, black roof & mirrors set it off and 11kw AC charging is a big plus
Yes, that's another reason why some might prefer it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back