Phase 1 vs Phase 2 - same cost which would you have?

Assumption that 18inch wheels automatically mean a worse ride.
No other changes and the same brand/model of tyres, possibly.
But different tyres have different sidewalls and it’s perfectly feasible the 18s could ride better than the 17s.
My Leaf’s ride wasn’t affected at all switching from 16s to 18s.
Stability was greatly improved though..

Assumption that 18inch wheels automatically mean a worse ride.
No other changes and the same brand/model of tyres, possibly.
But different tyres have different sidewalls and it’s perfectly feasible the 18s could ride better than the 17s.
My Leaf’s ride wasn’t affected at all switching from 16s to 18s.
Stability was greatly improved though..
I have 20s on my car and it has a good ride, as I said I do think it will be negligible

Is phase 1 2022 built and phase 2 2023?
I have booked a mg4 that is built January 2023 and it lacks rear windscreen wiper and middle headrest in the backseat. Gonna look at is Wednesday this week to check it out before deciding.

My car was built January 2023 and is definitely phase 1. Phase 2 wasn't even being talked about when I picked it up in April. I don't think there's a lot in it unless a rear wiper is a must-have for you. It's perfectly true that it's not really needed. And you'll only take off the centre head-rest so you can see out of the back window - wiper or no. I think that head-rest is something that will gather dust in most people's garages, perhaps to be brought out occasionally when they have three adults in the back.

Is phase 1 2022 built and phase 2 2023?
I have booked a mg4 that is built January 2023 and it lacks rear windscreen wiper and middle headrest in the backseat. Gonna look at is Wednesday this week to check it out before deciding.
It’s only minor changes but figure if you’re buying brand new you might as well get the ‘new’ car. But if you get a discount on the ‘old’ one then that helps.

My dealer in St Albans wouldn’t discount the phase 1 as it’s pre-reg and being sold as ‘new’.

My car was built January 2023 and is definitely phase 1. Phase 2 wasn't even being talked about when I picked it up in April. I don't think there's a lot in it unless a rear wiper is a must-have for you. It's perfectly true that it's not really needed. And you'll only take off the centre head-rest so you can see out of the back window - wiper or no. I think that head-rest is something that will gather dust in most people's garages, perhaps to be brought out occasionally when they have three adults in the back.

It’s a rear wiper, plus extra headrest, plus 18” wheels, plus one-pedal driving (which may or may not be rolled out to phase 1 cars)
The bigger wheels are a definite improvement and many would have paid extra to specify them on their phase 1, had it been an option.

It’s also not ‘crazy’ to suggest materials and/or build techniques/procedures may have been tweaked.

I forgot about the one-pedal driving. I think the bigger wheels only apply on the Trophy. (I'd rather not have them anyway.)

Who knows about the materials etc? It's also possible they've downgraded something to claw back the cost of the shop-window improvements.

Cheers for answers. Yeah they have a limited dicount offer for about 500 cars, so I guess they all are phase 1. Monthly cost is like the lowest of all cars in Sweden so pretty good deal.
232 pounds a month, 2 year deal with 20k miles.

Personally I'd probably lean towards phase 1 (Trophy), reasoning is basically:
  • Aesthetically it looks (subjectively) better: Mine is Orange so the black roof, I think the phase 1 aero covers look better than the phase 2 18's.
  • I've never had an issue with the lack of rear wiper (on this car or others previously), never have someone in the middle rear seat so those are complete non-issues
  • One pedal driving would be a 'nice to have' but nothing more
One thing I've not looked into but could be worth considering is the cost of tyres, it's not exactly a case of 18's always being more expensive than 17's but it can often be the case. I see negligible benefit to going to 18's so if the tyres cost more to replace...

Most definitely Phase 1. The black roof and mirrors look great, coupled with 11Kwh charging (at some restaurants etc). Phase 2 loses all of that. I'm hoping 1 pedal driving will come to phase 1 too.
Phase 2 rear headrest and wiper to me seem just a box tick by MG for NCAP and to the customer, are practically worthless.

Phase 1 all day long for me.
Black roof and mirrors complement the volcano orange.
No rear headrest to block the already limited rear view.
No unnecessary rear wiper to spoil the clean look at the back.
Cheaper 17" tyres.
Faster AC charging.
I wouldn't really miss one pedal driving as I've never had it.

Pros and cons with both, but probably Phase1 for me.

11KW charging a big bonus, as my work chargers have 11KW charging, and definitely an advantage if out and about at AC chargers in future.
I have zero need for a rear wiper, nor the middle headrest, which would be removed immediately to improve view.
Have never had one-pedal driving, and don't find really mind pressing the brake momentarily, especially since the car already does most of the work, and I've spent 20-odd years pressing brakes normally on ICE cars. If it comes to the Phase1 then great, but I've no particular desire for it.

I like the aero covers on the new wheels, but I'll probably replace the stock 17in with actual alloys and better tyres next year anyway, so kind of a non issue personally.

Pros and cons with both, but probably Phase1 for me.

11KW charging a big bonus, as my work chargers have 11KW charging, and definitely an advantage if out and about at AC chargers in future.
I have zero need for a rear wiper, nor the middle headrest, which would be removed immediately to improve view.
Have never had one-pedal driving, and don't find really mind pressing the brake momentarily, especially since the car already does most of the work, and I've spent 20-odd years pressing brakes normally on ICE cars. If it comes to the Phase1 then great, but I've no particular desire for it.

I like the aero covers on the new wheels, but I'll probably replace the stock 17in with actual alloys and better tyres next year anyway, so kind of a non issue personally.
Nah.. Phase 2 every time. With the phase 2 you get the warped undertray, but also in addition a chirpy aircon compressor, no binding to the app and the lane whatsit still gives you the heeby jeebies when least expected. I can also confirm that with R40 it changes to default every time you start up. I am going into the dealers Thursday (another story in itself, they said the 22nd, I gently persuaded them otherwise) to sort it all out and get R46 installed.... I maybe gone for some time ;)

Nah.. Phase 2 every time. With the phase 2 you get the warped undertray, but also in addition a chirpy aircon compressor, no binding to the app and the lane whatsit still gives you the heeby jeebies when least expected. I can also confirm that with R40 it changes to default every time you start up. I am going into the dealers Thursday (another story in itself, they said the 22nd, I gently persuaded them otherwise) to sort it all out and get R46 installed.... I maybe gone for some time ;)

Not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you mean Phase1, but the vast majority of Phase1 cars don't have undertray/aircon issues.
ELKA is the same (default to on, overly aggressive) on both Phases.
App binding has nothing to do with the Phases, and is to do with Infotainment version, and is sorted in R46, which is available and is being installed on Phase1 cars.

Not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you mean Phase1, but the vast majority of Phase1 cars don't have undertray/aircon issues.
ELKA is the same (default to on, overly aggressive) on both Phases.
App binding has nothing to do with the Phases, and is to do with Infotainment version, and is sorted in R46, which is available and is being installed on Phase1 cars.
Joking Just Kidding GIF

There is very little difference between the profiles of the tyres, I think the ride difference is negligible.
The big thing is do phase 2 cars have a temp gauge!!

Actually prefer a phase 1 trophy though, great deals to be had, black roof & mirrors set it off and 11kw AC charging is a big plus
So, are you saying that phase 2 does not have 11kw 3 phase charging?

Most definitely Phase 1. The black roof and mirrors look great, coupled with 11Kwh charging (at some restaurants etc). Phase 2 loses all of that. I'm hoping 1 pedal driving will come to phase 1 too.
Phase 2 rear headrest and wiper to me seem just a box tick by MG for NCAP and to the customer, are practically worthless.

FYI one pedal driving resets to off every time the car is power cycled. Just like LKA gets turned back on, one pedal gets turned off. So it’s about as much of a pain in the butt as it is a nice feature. This is a good car but the infotainment system lets it down. Well, that and the undertray bulge.

FYI one pedal driving resets to off every time the car is power cycled. Just like LKA gets turned back on, one pedal gets turned off. So it’s about as much of a pain in the butt as it is a nice feature. This is a good car but the infotainment system lets it down. Well, that and the undertray bulge.
And the excessively noisy air-con

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel