Phone charging - Trophy

NickL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
When plugging my iPhone XR into a USB lead for Apple CarPlay I noticed it was charging the phone as expected. The phone was also sitting on the charging mat. It seemed to charge to 100% fairly quickly, which concerned me. Question :-- can the iPhone accept charging from both sources at once?

I have found guidance on the Apple website that says that the phone should first be connected by a Lightning cable then the MagSafe charger, and that the phone will then charge from the cable, but I have an XR phone and uses an earlier version of the induction charging. I quote " It's important to plug into a power source before placing your iPhone on the MagSafe Charger. This allows MagSafe to verify it's safe to deliver maximum power. If you happen to place your iPhone on the MagSafe Charger before plugging into a power source, simply remove your iPhone from the MagSafe Charger, wait three seconds, and then put it back on to resume maximum power delivery."

Is the car inductive charger Qi-certified? ( Qi is an open, universal charging standard created by the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC).)

It’s the phone that determines the Charge not the charger as suggested by your searches.
as to if the inductive charger is QI certified I don’t know, never seen mention of any certification , just that the car has wireless charging.

When plugging my iPhone XR into a USB lead for Apple CarPlay I noticed it was charging the phone as expected. The phone was also sitting on the charging mat. It seemed to charge to 100% fairly quickly, which concerned me. Question :-- can the iPhone accept charging from both sources at once?

I have found guidance on the Apple website that says that the phone should first be connected by a Lightning cable then the MagSafe charger, and that the phone will then charge from the cable, but I have an XR phone and uses an earlier version of the induction charging. I quote " It's important to plug into a power source before placing your iPhone on the MagSafe Charger. This allows MagSafe to verify it's safe to deliver maximum power. If you happen to place your iPhone on the MagSafe Charger before plugging into a power source, simply remove your iPhone from the MagSafe Charger, wait three seconds, and then put it back on to resume maximum power delivery."

Is the car inductive charger Qi-certified? ( Qi is an open, universal charging standard created by the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC).)
If you are charging on a wireless pad you shouldn’t need to plug it in. I have an iPhone that has wireless charging connectivity and I have a charger that I plug into a usb socket and place the phone on to the charging pad. I don’t plug the phone in as well.

If you are charging on a wireless pad you shouldn’t need to plug it in. I have an iPhone that has wireless charging connectivity and I have a charger that I plug into a usb socket and place the phone on to the charging pad. I don’t plug the phone in as well.
To use CarPlay you need to use a wired connection. The obvious place to rest your phone is on the charging pad (Trophy only), so potentially you are connected to 2 charging sources.

To use CarPlay you need to use a wired connection. The obvious place to rest your phone is on the charging pad (Trophy only), so potentially you are connected to 2 charging sources.
Understood I hadn’t picked up what you were saying. I thought you were talking just about charging with the heading of the thread. Yes you do have to have a wired connection for Apple Car Play.

I have the trophy and am finding that the phone on charge on the tray can't keep up with drain from using Android Auto during a journey. Is this usual or defective. The phone is connected via Bluetooth and a dongle.

I have the trophy and am finding that the phone on charge on the tray can't keep up with drain from using Android Auto during a journey. Is this usual or defective. The phone is connected via Bluetooth and a dongle.
Agreed, my wireless charger at home keeps the device topped up even while the screen is on and I'm using it.

However, the wireless charging shelf on my MG4 Trophy is barely sufficient to charge the device even when the screen is off and it's not being used for Android Auto.
*I use AAWireless for Wireless Android Auto

In fact, due to the screen lighting up whenever it starts to wirelessly charge, the device looses power whenever it's on the charging shelf. I wish there was an option to turn it off, at least that way it wouldn't keep lighting up every minute or so.

The USB C port is busted on mine too, never worked from new. The garage are taking it in next week to look at it. Apparently it's a big ish job.

Agreed, my wireless charger at home keeps the device topped up even while the screen is on and I'm using it.

However, the wireless charging shelf on my MG4 Trophy is barely sufficient to charge the device even when the screen is off and it's not being used for Android Auto.

In fact, due to the screen lighting up whenever it starts to wirelessly charge, the device looses power whenever it's on the charging shelf. I wish there was an option to turn it off, at least that way it wouldn't keep lighting up every minute or so.

The USB C port is busted on mine too, never worked from new. The garage are taking it in next week to look at it. Apparently it's a big ish job.
A phone will usually turn its screen off when placed face down on a surface.

The charge mat is only really useful for those that do not use Apple CarPlay or android auto. If plugged in the phone will just default to the charging port to accept charge.

So should be no issues still resting it on the mat even if plugged in.

It does charge very quickly via the socket, I don’t know the output details but definitely suggests it outputs quite high, at least at fast charging or near fast chargers levels which newer phones will accept.

re the USB c port - my iphone 14 isnt supported via the car for carplay on the USB c - Yet the car does support the normal USB port - Is that your issue or have you tried a usb c stick drive for media play and thats not worked ?

I seem to remember someone said there is no power from the usb-c port so, presumably, it's use is for connecting a powering device eg a computer. I assume there are usb-c to usb-c cables for modern computers without usb-a sockets for use with mobile phones which I always thought received power and not provided it. I will have to experiment with my netbook.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back