Planned Long Journey with MG ZS EV 2020

LDN21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,
I have a long trip planned from East London to Walsall (just north of Birmingham) around 135 miles of pure motorway driving.
Is this possible without stopping on the way for charging. I do mainly city driving with a full charge coming up as 176 miles (Eco) but am worried as it will be all motorway how much it’s going to bring the range down.
So can I plan the trip non stop or will I need to stop.

Dependent on many factors (head or tail wind, heavy rain, car load, speed, etc)....but likely will need to charge once... Use ABRP to plan

I was hoping for all in one as is going to be Saturday morning arriving for 9 or 10am coming back around 6pm so am expecting on way there for the roads to be quite clear. I always use Eco and cruise control with never using climate control. But definitely think I will try and add a brief stop at a rapid charger

I was hoping for all in one as is going to be Saturday morning arriving for 9 or 10am coming back around 6pm so am expecting on way there for the roads to be quite clear. I always use Eco and cruise control with never using climate control. But definitely think I will try and add a brief stop at a rapid charger
Sounds sensible.

What you are up against is mainly increasing drag as you go faster. There's an equation for it involving power etc but I forget.

"eco" setting won't help you there as it is just a less responsive throttle - the essential physics of propelling your car to Walsall are the same whichever way you do it wrt throttle response.

CC might possibly cost you maybe a smidge as it won't regen on braking but that's only if it has to slow you on the mway...

ABRP schedules a 10 minute stop at a Gridserve Electric Highway charger at Welcome Break, Corley Northbound. I'd make it a 20 minute break just to give you that little extra wriggle room.

ABRP schedules a 10 minute stop at a Gridserve Electric Highway charger at Welcome Break, Corley Northbound. I'd make it a 20 minute break just to give you that little extra wriggle room.
What would he get for even 20mins on one of those chargers? Assume a reasonable battery temp...
May as well fill up to 80% or more (queue depending)?

Last edited:
What would be get for even 20mins on one of those chargers? Assume a reasonable battery temp...
May as well fill up to 80% or more (queue depending)?
All depends on how keen you are to get to your destination and if you can charge when you get there, or if you need to drive around when you are there.

All depends on how keen you are to get to your destination and if you can charge when you get there, or if you need to drive around when you are there.
Assuming you are coming back (which he is) I expect it would give him most range & most options & least anxiety.

+1 insurance charge 👍 likely you'll need a p anyway...

Dunno when you're going timewise but you might end up pleasantly surprised at m/kWh after a morning doing less than 50 on average 😉
That "You need to stop and have a wee" is also used a lot by "EV Enthusiasts" in my country.

But...To be honest, the time i use to get the charger connected, "pay" and getting the car to actually charge, takes up, about as much time as i would use to go have a wee. :)

That "You need to stop and have a wee" is also used a lot by "EV Enthusiasts" in my country.

But...To be honest, the time i use to get the charger connected, "pay" and getting the car to actually charge, takes up, about as much time as i would use to go have a wee. :)
Hehe, by which time you'll "really need a wee" if not lunch & a nap 👍

Hehe, by which time you'll "really need a wee" if not lunch & a nap 👍
Yeah one time i DID need a wee, and had to go wee before, as the charger was acting up, and i could not hold it any longer :)

But yeah, having tried a few different CCS chargers now, and the only thing i now know is that there does not seem to be 2 charger brands / companies that has similar payment and initiation procedures.

One wanted me to pay online, via a website, where i had to enter my CC number and a stupidly long number to identify the charger (Think 12 mixes numbers and letters).

One wanted me to pay with my wireless chipcard, but got mad, that put the CCS cable in, before paying.

One told me to put the CCS cable in, before initiating any kind of transaction.

Even when using Bonnet app, i have had one that wanted me to connect the CCS plug and verify in the app, before doing anyting, and one that directly said "DO NOT PLUG IN UNTIL TOLD SO"

Bonnet app, charges were both free though, which goes a long way to making me happy :)

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a long trip planned from East London to Walsall (just north of Birmingham) around 135 miles of pure motorway driving.
Is this possible without stopping on the way for charging. I do mainly city driving with a full charge coming up as 176 miles (Eco) but am worried as it will be all motorway how much it’s going to bring the range down.
So can I plan the trip non stop or will I need to stop.
Stopping will give you more options for charging before the return leg

Stopping will give you more options for charging before the return leg
And possibly easily get you way back on the return leg before you need to charge...

Had a play with that ABRP thing & if you set max speed to 55mph it reckons you'd just get there from a 100% SOC at the start in one trip.
However cos of the mway I guess, it takes an hour longer @55mph it said....

I put in Romford to Walsall so could be miles out or in 🤷‍♂️

As mentioned use tools like "A better route planner" or zap map and look for chargers when you are around 30% state of charge, giving yourself enough range to get to other chargers as a contingency. If you're worried then make a note of the useful chargers on your route. Keep an eye on the state of charge and just slow down a bit if it's looking thirsty, switch off eco mode and use some heat/AC to keep comfortable and enjoy the trip!

As mentioned use tools like "A better route planner" or zap map and look for chargers when you are around 30% state of charge, giving yourself enough range to get to other chargers as a contingency. If you're worried then make a note of the useful chargers on your route. Keep an eye on the state of charge and just slow down a bit if it's looking thirsty, switch off eco mode and use some heat/AC to keep comfortable and enjoy the trip!
Until this post never heard of A better route planner. Not really a fan of the Zap Map route planner as requires a lot of information reguarding vehicle range estimates.
I will put in contingency’s.
I’m planning on going slightly slower (but safe speed) when safe to do so.
I never really use AC at anytime (sometimes for a couple of minutes to make it slightly cooler or warmer/ demise when required)

Why specifically switch of Eco as to me it’s the better option but am normally doing shorter distances at more local speeds and a 20 mile round trip at 40-50mph twice a week.
Had a look earlier and in the last 3500 miles have averaged 3.9 miles/kWh and on the 20 mile round trip did 4.0 miles/kWh including around 10 minutes of climate control.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom