Pod Point Charge Rate

amdmad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm on a pod point 7Kw is their a reason I'm only pulling this??

Screenshot_20221207_103022_MG iSMART.jpg

If public load limiting can be in use, also 7kW twin socket pod points aren't all 7kW per socket some have only a 32A connection and share it between the two, so if one plugged in you get 7kW if two plugged in you get 3.68kW

If it's a home unit, CT could be wrong way round or your house is at high load and it's limiting its output

I've had that occur when sharing the post with a Tesla.
I was wondering if the fact that the Tesla can draw 11kW and was there first, it may be doing so and pulling the other side down ?

If you end a charge within the 15 minutes without having claimed it in the app, do you still get charged? Not that I'd engage in so much pfaff to get a free kwh, but may be worth bearing in mind if you choose a duff charger?

Depends on the charger I suppose. All my local podpoints are only 7kw so the car should not be able to draw above that...in theory. They are marked 7kw on each side so they should be able to deliver that even if another vehicle is plugged in or why advertise it. If it drops to 3.4kw that indicates the charger has went into safe mode. When I phoned them when this happened on a charger they said they could see incorrect
status and would reset it but only when both ports were free.

And as for paying without the app confirmation. No it is a dumb charger at that stage and has no connection to the app to apply a fee. As you say 15 minutes free without the app and I have seen people running back and forwards from the shop unplugging and reinserting to get free charging

I see a Phev use the Tesco charger, has they pickup their children when school finishes,its a good parking spot next to School,after 15 mins it goes off??

If you end a charge within the 15 minutes without having claimed it in the app, do you still get charged? Not that I'd engage in so much pfaff to get a free kwh, but may be worth bearing in mind if you choose a duff charger?
If you don't claim the charge it ends in 15 minutes and is free, but once you've claimed the charge you will be billed for whatever you've used, even if it's less than 15 minutes.

Depends on the charger I suppose. All my local podpoints are only 7kw so the car should not be able to draw above that...in theory. They are marked 7kw on each side so they should be able to deliver that even if another vehicle is plugged in or why advertise it. If it drops to 3.4kw that indicates the charger has went into safe mode. When I phoned them when this happened on a charger they said they could see incorrect

And as for paying without the app confirmation. No it is a dumb charger at that stage and has no connection to the app to apply a fee. As you say 15 minutes free without the app and I have seen people running back and forwards from the shop unplugging and reinserting to get free charging
Might be worthwhile on a tesco 50kw, but hardly on anything else.

It depends on the unit and how it's installed.

Having designed and installed EV charging stations all double socket 7kW AC units can run on either a 32A or 63A supply and if it is a 32A supply the whole column only has 7kW of available power the 7kW is advertising the maximum potential of that outlet, not the guaranteed output.

Another consideration is some units are fed from shops that also have their own power requirements for example Aldi with 7kW chargers are load limited so when the store has a large demand the ev chargers are restricted as the store has a finite connection agreement limit that if they go over they pay a big premium for to the supplier as they have a guaranteed import capacity.

I've just visited a Tesco podpoint and it seems like there's plenty doing the free 15 minute trick, then repeating. Very tricky getting a 50kw ccs though

I've just visited a Tesco podpoint and it seems like there's plenty doing the free 15 minute trick, then repeating. Very tricky getting a 50kw ccs though
All that will happen is that will get disabled in the end and they'll ruin it for everyone, as the idea behind it is to allow you time to get reception or WiFi to claim the charger

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back