POLL: Which route should I take on my 1st long range journey?

Which route would be best and any tips in replies please.

• Total voters

LeeB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m embarking on my 1st long-range journey this week and would really appreciate any advice and assistance please, as I’m already suffering from range anxiety and I’m not going until Friday! 😆.

I’ve done lots of research and reading on here on what settings to use (Eco, RegEn 3, reset both trip counters before prior full charge, no heaters etc) and I have narrowed my route down to 2 options.

So, I’d love to get the communities opinion on the best route to take along with any additional tips please.

A few things to mention…I’m in a MG ZS EV LR Trophy and we’re going to an AirBnB holiday lodge in the Lake District so I’m not sure I’ll be able to use the granny charger at the lodge, without getting an after charge from owners for over use of electric, so need to ensure I have enough charge for the to, and from, journeys.

With an LR, you can do it in one hit & charge in Kendal or Windemere Instavolt (although a wee stop beforehand might suit!).

Yes to the Eco unless its freezing or hot, I’d go for Regen 1 assuming no traffic & 2 when there is any- my miles/kWh went from averaging 3.6-3.8 to 4.0 after I stopped using regen 3. Speed assist is very helpful in keeping that m/kWh up.

No need to switch the heater completely off, I’ve had good results with having it blow on the windscreen only at 23 deg on fan 2.

Booth's Windermere has 4 Instavolts, not cheap but reliable. Otherwise there's no need to stop apart from comfort. Frankly I'd trundle along the direct route through the Forest of Bowland and get to my destination first, then charge later whilst taking a little trip out to explore Windermere as an event in itself.

Don't let Range Anxiety rule your life, you have a very capable car. 👍

I’ve done lots of research and reading on here on what settings to use (Eco, RegEn 3, reset both trip counters before prior full charge, no heaters etc)

Ignore all of that unless you are pushing the absolute limit of the range. Just drive sensibly and not like a twit, you'll get a much more enjoyable start/end to the holiday.

On the way back don't worry about starting with a full battery, aim to splash and dash somewhere like Skipton if you go cross country or IKEA Leeds if on the Motorway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've done multiple 'long' trips (in excess of 200 miles, including a week in Cornwall with the family) in my SR over the last 3 months of ownership and have always driven it like any other car I've had. That is, A/C on and set to a comfortable temp (not needed any degree of heating yet), KERS 3 (default setting), Normal drive. By the way, I'm not saying I haven't flipped her into Sport from time to time!

For me, I'm not prepared to sweat or freeze to extract a few more miles out of the thing. Each to his/her own of course.

I plan the journeys on ABRP (it is connected to a OBD dongle in the car) and if I have to stop en route then I will stop. Having a break and a coffee is always a good idea and a recharge of 30-45 mins can fit in with this.

This way, I have no range anxiety and my water works are kept happy!

With an LR, you can do it in one hit & charge in Kendal or Windemere Instavolt (although a wee stop beforehand might suit!).

Yes to the Eco unless its freezing or hot, I’d go for Regen 1 assuming no traffic & 2 when there is any- my miles/kWh went from averaging 3.6-3.8 to 4.0 after I stopped using regen 3. Speed assist is very helpful in keeping that m/kWh up.

No need to switch the heater completely off, I’ve had good results with having it blow on the windscreen only at 23 deg on fan 2.
With ref to regen, that makes perfect sense, I think regen 3 would be only really effective in heavy stop start traffic, or maybe inner city driving where you have lots of stop starts due to traffic lights etc.
Regen 2 in light traffic and 1 when tootling along. I think its to do with a natural impulse to over estimate the deceleration, then having to squeeze the accelerator to compensate. Regen only develops a fraction of the electricity compared to that used for acceleration.

Brilliant, thanks everyone for your feedback.

So far 1 person has said direct shorter route, 1 has said motorway, but I’ve read on here to avoid motorways as it eats up battery, so I’ll probably go the direct A-road route.

I should mention that I was trying to get around having to visit anywhere to charge as I’m with a larger family, with 3 other cars, so didn’t want them to beholden to me needed to go somewhere off route to charge. But, if I need to nip out on my own one evening to go and charge, that’d wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Thanks again everyone for your advice 👍🏻

If you can make it to Lancaster I'd go that bit further to Burton services. There are only two pumps at Lancaster, there are 2 old and 6 shiny new 350 kW ones there all Gridserve and contactless.

If you can make it to Lancaster I'd go that bit further to Burton services. There are only two pumps at Lancaster, there are 2 old and 6 shiny new 350 kW ones there all Gridserve and contactless.
Thank you for the information. I think we're going to go the more direct, A-Road, route as 1. the missus is a nervous passenger on motorways, 2. I've read to avoid motorways due to them eating up battery and 3. I don't think the missus will last that long (to Burton) without a cigarette break.
However, I will bear it in mind for the return journey. Thanks!

Thank you for the information. I think we're going to go the more direct, A-Road, route as 1. the missus is a nervous passenger on motorways, 2. I've read to avoid motorways due to them eating up battery and 3. I don't think the missus will last that long (to Burton) without a cigarette break.
However, I will bear it in mind for the return journey. Thanks!
Motorways don't "eat up battery" - it's the driver that does that.

Definitely go the scenic route, that road is a really nice drive as long as it's not dark and wet
You'll easily get there with lots of range to spare

As others have said, Booths in Kendal, Windermere and Keswick will be best for Rapid chargers
On the M6 "Burton in Kendal" and "Tebay" services

Definitely go the scenic route, that road is a really nice drive as long as it's not dark and wet
You'll easily get there with lots of range to spare

As others have said, Booths in Kendal, Windermere and Keswick will be best for Rapid chargers
On the M6 "Burton in Kendal" and "Tebay" services
Great, thank you.

I know I'll have plenty of range for the journey, but I was hoping to have enough spare to run around Windermere, doing sight-seeing and such, without having to worry about finding charges whhile there, hence the reason for charging enroute.

Well, I've done multiple 'long' trips (in excess of 200 miles, including a week in Cornwall with the family) in my SR over the last 3 months of ownership and have always driven it like any other car I've had. That is, A/C on and set to a comfortable temp (not needed any degree of heating yet), KERS 3 (default setting), Normal drive. By the way, I'm not saying I haven't flipped her into Sport from time to time!

For me, I'm not prepared to sweat or freeze to extract a few more miles out of the thing. Each to his/her own of course.

I plan the journeys on ABRP (it is connected to a OBD dongle in the car) and if I have to stop en route then I will stop. Having a break and a coffee is always a good idea and a recharge of 30-45 mins can fit in with this.

This way, I have no range anxiety and my water works are kept happy!

Total agreement from me. I didn’t pay £30k+ for a car to be uncomfortable in it.

ABRP for long trips.

I suspect that you won't do many miles in the lake district. Get a top up in Windermere when you visit, Booths is on the site of the goods yard to the railway station if I remember rightly and 10 minutes walk down to the lake. Both Coniston and Ullswater are pretty and less busy and if you can get over to the west side to Buttermere and Loweswater. Wastwater is dramatic and there is a narrow gauge railway there. You can get a dose of radiation from Sellafield too. I wouldn't worry; with chargers in Keswick, Penrith and Windermere all will be fine. And any chance for a 10 minute top up can add worthwhile miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom