Poor cross wind performance

unbornidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anyone else noticed how badly affected by wind the MG4 is?

I’ve owned a fair amount of new cars and getting sucked in after passing lorries or blown around by wind is something I’ve not experienced since about 2008!

There seems to be something about the aerodynamics of the car that makes it really susceptible to it.

I got to be honest, I actually think my MG4 sits better on the road than a lot of previous cars I’ve had.

I’ve taken it a few times along Military Road, one of the faster roads here on the island & very open ( see pictures below ) so it can get pretty windy & never felt it being blown around excessively. Of course you can still feel if a strong gust hits you but again, I find this sits really well on the road.

I’ve also overtaken slower moving lorries, buses & never had a problem like you’ve mentioned

As @fnegroni said, what are your tyres like?

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 37
got to be honest, I actually think my MG4 sits better on the road than a lot of previous cars I’ve had.
+1. We've got many deep valleys the autovías cross over here; most with warning signs of high winds and wind socks at each end to give a visual indication.
I must agree that ours feels very stable and planted (due to the battery's weight being so low down) and holds its track very well when hit by a gust.
Check your tyres for pressure and even wear. Could be you've knocked the tracking out if you've bumped the curb really hard?

+1. We've got many deep valleys the autovías cross over here; most with warning signs of high winds and wind socks at each end to give a visual indication.
I must agree that ours feels very stable and planted (due to the battery's weight being so low down) and holds its track very well when hit by a gust.
Check your tyres for pressure and even wear. Could be you've knocked the tracking out if you've bumped the curb really hard?
It only does it when it’s windy or going past lorries on the motorway.

It doesn’t pull or anything and goes in a straight line under normal conditions. The last time I checked the tyres was when it was colder so they could be a little firm. Will check them.

Thanks for the suggestions though all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only does it when it’s windy or going pass lorries on the motorway.

It doesn’t pull or anything and goes in a straight line under normal conditions. The last time I checked the tyres was when it was colder so they could be a little firm. Will check them.

Thanks for the suggestions though all.
I know you said it only does it when windy or passing lorries so I’m probably way off here but,

Do you have Lane Keep Assist on?

I switch mine off now every time I get in the car but a lot of people have had some “oh crap” experiences with it, all of a sudden making the car turn slightly but quite harshly. With that though I believe you get a warning/beeping sound but maybe it’s playing a small part with this issue.

As suggested though, definitely check tyres, wear, pressure & it could be the tracking is off slightly

Let us know how you get on

I know you said it only does it when windy or passing lorries so I’m probably way off here but,

Do you have Lane Keep Assist on?

I switch mine off now every time I get in the car but a lot of people have had some “oh crap” experiences with it, all of a sudden making the car turn slightly but quite harshly. With that though I believe you get a warning/beeping sound but maybe it’s playing a small part with this issue.

As suggested though, definitely check tyres, wear, pressure & it could be the tracking is off slightly

Let us know how you get on
Nah, I can’t stand lane assist. First thing I do when starting the car is turn the bloody thing off!

Ta for the suggestion though.

Nah, I can’t stand lane assist. First thing I do when starting the car is turn the bloody thing off!

Ta for the suggestion though.
I thought it would be a long shot buddy lol

Again this might be a long shot but have you checked under the car. Now this is my first EV, only had it a few months but I have read people having issues with the under tray, bulges appearing

So my thought is, if it was hanging slightly, wind gets in as your driving causing more drag let’s say?

Others here will know better about these bulges underneath on some MG4, the causes but I’m just throwing another idea out there.

I thought it would be a long shot buddy lol

Again this might be a long shot but have you checked under the car. Now this is my first EV, only had it a few months but I have read people having issues with the under tray, bulges appearing

So my thought is, if it was hanging slightly, wind gets in as your driving causing more drag let’s say?

Others here will know better about these bulges underneath on some MG4, the causes but I’m just throwing another idea out there.
That’s a good point will check that too!

Has anyone else noticed how badly affected by wind the MG4 is?

I’ve owned a fair amount of new cars and getting sucked in after passing lorries or blown around by wind is something I’ve not experienced since about 2008!

There seems to be something about the aerodynamics of the car that makes it really susceptible to it.
I feel it only occasionly when on a motorway with cross wind. Most of the time it's fine, just every now and then it feels a little unsettled.

I've not noticed my MG4 be any worse than any previous car I've had - if anything it feels more planted. 🤷‍♂️

Mine is definitely not as stable in crosswinds compared with anything I've driven previously. Mostly noticeable on the Pacific Motorway if it's windy. Tyres at normal cold pressures for us (35-36 PSI):

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 10.17.56 am.png

It's definitely noticeable how easily it is buffeted about.

Mine is definitely not as stable in crosswinds compared with anything I've driven previously. Mostly noticeable on the Pacific Motorway if it's windy. Tyres at normal cold pressures for us (35-36 PSI):

View attachment 25110

It's definitely noticeable how easily it is buffeted about.
Is there lateral movement/steering tug against road surface? Or is it body sway? Could be the suspension setup.
Aerodynamics would have more play against headwinds.

Another off the top of my head thought

For the people experiencing issues, have you got the Trophy or SE?

I wonder if it’s worse on MG4 with or without the rear roof spoilers?

I read they do give extra downforce & apparently cars with them do around 10 miles less than those without

Mine is a Trophy but I haven’t experienced these issues.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back