Poor LKA not just an issue for MG4

I was driving through some roadworks the other week and the car tried to steer me into the traffic cones on my right. I sometimes remember to disable lane assist but I often forget and I'm not too sure which is the option to disable.
My daughter picked up her new Audi EV yesterday and she was disappointed to find that it is similarly afflicted.
It’s my welcome message. Richard, turn off lane keep assist!

Has anyone else notice that lane keep assist turns itself back on when the head lights come on, either automatically or manually? It does it in my Trophy.

To add to the convo (and a slight rant, sorry) -
I’ve had my car updated very recently and it hasn’t fixed the issue, even on low alert it snatches the wheel and I have to wrestle it back to the correct line in the road. There have been times where on a slightly damp road it sees the tramlines as the white line and pulls the car every direction apart from straight ahead. So much so that there’s no chance I can take my hand off the wheel to turn it back off.

In my opinion it’s the most dangerous system ever invented and almost a deal breaker on what is really a very good vehicle. If I was weaker and my reactions weren’t quick then the car would be a write-off by now that’s for sure! Especially due it deciding to just turn itself back on with the lights so you’re not aware that it’s back on (what’s all that about)?

Has anyone else notice that lane keep assist turns itself back on when the head lights come on, either automatically or manually? It does it in my Trophy.
Doesn't do that on mine - have not heard of this before.
I’ve had my car updated very recently and it hasn’t fixed the issue, even on low alert it snatches the wheel and I have to wrestle it back to the correct line in the road. There have been times where on a slightly damp road it sees the tramlines as the white line and pulls the car every direction apart from straight ahead. So much so that there’s no chance I can take my hand off the wheel to turn it back off.

In my opinion it’s the most dangerous system ever invented and almost a deal breaker on what is really a very good vehicle. If I was weaker and my reactions weren’t quick then the car would be a write-off by now that’s for sure! Especially due it deciding to just turn itself back on with the lights so you’re not aware that it’s back on (what’s all that about)?
There are various module updates (separate from infotainment) to fix this LKA behaviour and you may not have them all if you are seeing this.

You dealer might have applied some updates but not others as it is time consuming for them to do updates.

Thanks for your input. I did think it an odd behaviour!
I will contact the dealer again to try to get to the bottom of it.

I usually turn off lka in my pre flight routine however don't usually for a short journey i usually do with speed limit 40mph for half mile. I just grip steering wheel harder. Last time it tried to steer me into an oncoming car. I looked back at dashcam footage as I was going to post it and sent into MG however doesn't look that dramatic but I can assure you it certainly was when the steering wheel is taken out your control and steers towards a car travelling towards you with a resultant speed of 80mph+. It's only for a split second and it only turns the wheel a degree or two but potentially fatal.
Equally as scary as another time i turned into a corner at 50/60mph on a rural road only to find for a split second steering wheel not turning and locked straight ahead.
I only use LKA on motorways and dual carriageways I turn it off everywhere else as it can't be trusted.

Jonny Smiths long term review of the Ora Funky Cat shows that it has the exact same issues as MG4 with regard to LKA and Driver monitoring. He actually says its tried to steer him into oncoming traffic.

Hopefully with time both will have a fix for a more diverse range of roads like UK back roads.

Nope, Mercedes EQB does exactly the same. Best turned off unless on a road with wide perfectly marked carriageways.

I have to say I’ve never had a. Problem with lane keep assist. I very rarely have turned it off but instead just employ it as a “guide”. The thought of fully autonomous driving doesn’t appeal but a wee nudge causes no issues as I like knowing I’m in control all the time anyway. It’s never remotely come close to driving me off the road or anything like that. If I’m sat in the car my hands are on the wheel. The sat nav is set before setting off and we don’t like radios or music players on while travelling so nothing to load or adjust or fiddle with there.

I have to say I’ve never had a. Problem with lane keep assist. I very rarely have turned it off but instead just employ it as a “guide”. The thought of fully autonomous driving doesn’t appeal but a wee nudge causes no issues as I like knowing I’m in control all the time anyway. It’s never remotely come close to driving me off the road or anything like that. If I’m sat in the car my hands are on the wheel. The sat nav is set before setting off and we don’t like radios or music players on while travelling so nothing to load or adjust or fiddle with there.
I think it’s very much a question of the type of travelling you do. My driving consists mostly of single lane country and minor B roads, some of these B roads don’t have white lines. The system is constantly trying to pull the car one way or the other, it’s just like someone is snatching the wheel from your hand, you don’t know which way is next and even when you turn it off it turns itself back on when the lights switch on.
Then yesterday I went out in it and it had turned itself from alert only all the way to full yank the wheel mode.
I’m going to go back to the dealer tomorrow.
I’m glad you haven’t had got any problems with LKA, it saddens me to know there is a difference in all these cars, and most of that is software based I think.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about your LKA problems.
Mines stays off when I disable it until I restart the car. My trophy is around a month old.

I think it’s very much a question of the type of travelling you do. My driving consists mostly of single lane country and minor B roads, some of these B roads don’t have white lines. The system is constantly trying to pull the car one way or the other, it’s just like someone is snatching the wheel from your hand, you don’t know which way is next and even when you turn it off it turns itself back on when the lights switch on.
The yesterday I went out in it and it had turned itself from alert only all the way to full yank the wheel mode.
I’m going to go back to the dealer tomorrow.
I glad you haven’t had got any problems with LKA, it saddens me to know there is a difference in all these cars, and most of that is software based I think.
I’m hoping an update can fix this issue for you. I also do a lot of driving on such roads and thoroughly enjoy them in the MG4, as should everyone be able to.

Hoping that MG are paying attention to these requests and look to provide capability to switch off LKA on MG4 as a default. for country roads this is potentially a dangerous problem, easily resolved.

That won't happen, as discussed many times before. NCAP rules mean that it must default to On otherwise the MG4 won't have a 5 star rating.

What SHOULD be provided is an easy way to turn it off with a single press
Good idea that😉

The fact you can switch it off means you should be able to define your preferred setting. This would under certain circumstances improve the safety rating of the vehicle.

They're working on the assumption that these are hire cars, or at any moment a new driver may get in. Yes I know it's nuts but that's their thinking.

The fact you can switch it off means you should be able to define your preferred setting. This would under certain circumstances improve the safety rating of the vehicle.
Every car I've owned with LKA, both ice and EV has had a physical button to switch it on and off.
It's not that big an ask to have one, designers have looked at Tesla's set up and tried to go the same way (minimalist) unfortunately MGs software is just far to clunky and glitchy to be controlling everything in the car.

Nope, Mercedes EQB does exactly the same. Best turned off unless on a road with wide perfectly marked carriageways.
Quite strange to read this. I'm aware that the LKA on mercedes EVs are very subtle that you don't even notice it.

You could be forgiven to think that the system is off or not even functional ie faulty. That's how unintrusive it is.

Quite strange to read this. I'm aware that the LKA on mercedes EVs are very subtle that you don't even notice it.

You could be forgiven to think that the system is off or not even functional ie faulty. That's how unintrusive it is.
Same for me with the Audi E-tron 50. It's always on (can simply switch off by end of stalk button) but it rarely interferes. Get an occasional buzz if going from a 2 lane into 1 and sometimes a pop-up warning to hold the steering wheel (which I am but it thinks I'm not) so a quick wobble and it knows I'm steering. Have to wait at least 1 more month until I get my lease Trophy, so definitely looking forward to trying everything.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back