• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Post your MG ZS EV battery SOH data please

Firstly having looked through this correct me if I am wrong it comes to no overall conclusion. I wonder if driving style also puts degradation on the battery if driven frequently with harder acceleration.
At a guess, I would think the opposite, occasional hard load on the battery keeps it "fizzing" and prevents precipitation.

At a guess, I would think the opposite, occasional hard load on the battery keeps it "fizzing" and prevents precipitation.
You may be right but the stats come to no overall conclusion. Therefore to draw conclusions a comparative measurement criteria is needed, as everything changes by temperature, terrain driven, and type of use.

2 rapid charges to 80%
13 rapid charges from 20% to 60%

Rest, about 150 AC charges at home to 3.45 kW

Does this car handle rapid charges well??
I know others, like Hyundai Kona or Kia Niro, with 100% charges on DC and no degradation.

Some owners have reported similar figures of battery degradation without DC charging their ZS EV Gen1.

IMO, charging cycles could be the main reason for battery degradation and it depends on mileage but also on your driving style, for example, you will get a higher consumption if you drive with harder acceleration, so you will need to charge the car more often.

After so many years, there must be many owners here who have covered a lot of kilometres with their MG.........

Does the degradation continue after more kilometres?
Does this degradation stop?

Look up dendritic growth in batteries
Thank you
I know that batteries degrade over time, use and miles.
Maybe I am not expressing myself well

I know many EV owners (Kona, Niro, Zoe, Ioniq,) and their batteries do not show these levels of degradation after 50,000 kms or more and many fast charges. For me it is something worrying.

At this rate, in 100,000 km MG will have to change my battery under warranty.

17000 kms and 4 months old, SOH should be at or near 100%.

What I wanted to ask is if the degradation continues at this high rate or stabilises? At this rate in 100000kms I will lose more than 30%.

I just wanted to know the details of owners with many more kms.

Because, here in Spain, few MG ZS EV have been sold and we have no data on what happens to the batteries with more kms.

We have information from many Tesla, Hyundai, Renault, Kia and we know what can happen over time to these batteries with 100,000 kms and 98%SOH.

But MG has sold very little at the moment in Spain.

It’s supposed to stabilise, however MG have shown since 2019 that they are still learning and in a European market too. My confidence has been lowered. But if I sell I can leave it to the next person.

Another conundrum on all this battery stuff. On my previous Mk1 ZS ev we were told to charge to 100% and equalise frequently.

Now on my Mk2 Lr trophy we are suddenly told not to charge above 80% in normal usage. Thus giving a usable real world range of about 227 miles. Both cars have the same battery type of construction so which is correct, full charge with equalisation, or 80% charge without.

Answers on a postcard please, or maybe it’s another mystery.
Z Zs

I just wanted to know the details of owners with many more kms.

Because, here in Spain, few MG ZS EV have been sold and we have no data on what happens to the batteries with more kms.

We have information from many Tesla, Hyundai, Renault, Kia and we know what can happen over time to these batteries with 100,000 kms and 98%SOH.

But MG has sold very little at the moment in Spain.
FYI mine has 22k km on the clock, 19 months of ownership and SOH is 95.5% and it is dropping slowly by 0.1%.

Hi, At my 2 year service at the end of Feb they wrote the SOH and crossed it out so I wasn't sure if it was the 95% it was most likely to say. I just tried resetting everything and the GOM is giving 155 miles so that would also indicate 95%. Mileage about 17.5K. I don't often get to 100% charge but didn't notice a balance being done even on doing another charge after the battery was full.

Hi, At my 2 year service at the end of Feb they wrote the SOH and crossed it out so I wasn't sure if it was the 95% it was most likely to say. I just tried resetting everything and the GOM is giving 155 miles so that would also indicate 95%. Mileage about 17.5K. I don't often get to 100% charge but didn't notice a balance being done even on doing another charge after the battery was full.
I take the GOM with a pinch of salt. Even resetting everything mine still only showed 151 miles in April, it showed 161 miles 3 weeks ago when I last charged it to full.

My MG5 LR with 10k miles on clock and 8 months old shows 100% SOH, it has been almost exclusively fast charged.
I think the Scottish climate helped it.

Asked my dealer today (and when booking the service) for the SOH% value whilst at it's first service, as I have no OBD device to check it.
The documentation presented to me gave the SOC%, but the SOH box was blank. Asking once again for the SOH value, the technician had said that to get that value from the diagnostics, they have to have the car for the whole day, and charge it to 100% SOC before the diagnostics will give the SOH value.
I was flabbergasted, as no-one had told me that prior to the service, but I don't believe it anyway.
Is there any truth at all in having to charge to 100% first, or was this just a fob off?

Last edited:
Is there any truth at all in having to charge to 100% first, or was this just a fob off?

They got it wrong. SOH is updated occasionally and then stored, it can be read out at any time, independent of state of charge.

I keep a close eye on mine and it appears to change during driving, not during charging.

Last drop I noticed was from 96.18 to 96.04% at 23,760 km.

Asked my dealer today (and when booking the service) for the SOH% value whilst at it's first service, as I have no OBD device to check it.
The documentation presented to me gave the SOC%, but the SOH box was blank. Asking once again for the SOH value, the technician had said that to get that value from the diagnostics, they have to have the car for the whole day, and charge it to 100% SOC before the diagnostics will give the SOH value.
I was flabbergasted, as no-one had told me that prior to the service, but I don't believe it anyway.
Complete and utter nonsense.
The SOH value can be read at any time easily.

First use if the car at 07-01-2020
Last 100% SoH was at 07-01-2021 @ 9000 Km

Just some value’s from the last seven months:
12-09-2021 97,4%
01-11-2022 97,18%
01-19-2022 96,98%
?? 96,78%
03-03-2022 96,57% 15183 Km
03-14-2022 96,37% 15603 Km
04-12-2022 96,16% 16151 Km
04-30-2022 96,02%. 16666 Km
06-08-2022 95,86%. 17694 Km

Today still 95,86% @ 18180 Km, it seems like the degradation is a little bit slowing down.

Last edited:
There is your answer right there !.
They did not put the car on the diagnostic computer so arrived with a B/S reply !.
Could not be arsed basically !.
Thought as much, a fob off. Time/cost saving no doubt, but I seem powerless with dealer to get anything done that I request. It's just all fabricated excuses, four amazing ones yesterday. I couldn't have made them up, they were so far fetched. Not sure how to get authority over this dealer, the service department is totally dysfunctional.

Thought as much, a fob off. Time/cost saving no doubt, but I seem powerless with dealer to get anything done that I request. It's just all fabricated excuses, four amazing ones yesterday. I couldn't have made them up, they were so far fetched. Not sure how to get authority over this dealer, the service department is totally dysfunctional.
I find it this situation, the best policy is to vote with your feet !.
Finding a dealer who will listen and treat your concerns seriously and help in every way possible is very difficult to find unfortunately.
I am prepared to travel IF I can find a dealer who I can put my faith in.
My suppling dealer who has a great representation for after sales service and knowledge staff, is almost a 200 mile around trip.
I have three dealers within 30 minutes from our home and I will pass another 3 dealers on route to my chosen dealer.
I consider the trip worth while if I am treated in the right way and my car gets worked on by people who both care and knowledgeable.
Previously to owning the MG - I had a VW PHEV and the dealer I used had a brilliant Tech who would take the time to talk to you about any issues I had with my car.
I was able to e.mail him direct, prior to booking the car in for any work.
This way, both his and my time was not lost when the car arrived at the dealership.
He had prior information about the car and would always speak to me in person, when I collected it !.
THAT is what I consider to be the best type of service you can get !.
Speaking directly to the person who has had “hand’s on” your car is unbeatable.
Cuts out any of the B/S from the service receptionist, who has unlikely never been under the bonnet of a car.
It was a special friendship because he had prior knowledge that I was a time served Tech myself, back in the day.
I don’t do B/S !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom