Post your MG ZS EV battery SOH data please

Interesting. I came here because I am worried about a decline.

After a full charge, including balancing.

SOH: 96.4
Voltage: 452
ODO: 12021 km (7469 miles)
GOM after charge: 251 km on Normal (previously 263 until a few months ago).
Bought: March 2020 - so about 18 months old.

So, I've lost about the same % in range as SOH.

I've never used a rapid charge. Only 7kW.

It worries me.
If has to be the climate, not much you can do about it. I'd avoid charging during the day and aggressive driving when is hot.

Don’t panic about the SOH losses being seen. It will be a non-linear decline. BEVs tend to lose the first 5% to 10% relatively quickly, then the decline slows greatly.

MG, like the majority of BEV manufacturers, offer a long warranty on the battery. For MG this is currently 7 years or 80,000 miles to 70% SOH. It is very unlikely you will see anything like that sort of degradation.

My final SOH as the car is now sold, as getting a new LR ZS.
SOH = 92%
Mileage 34,000
Age 33 months
Approx 60% of mileage on fast chargers and 40% on rapid chargers, so around 130-140 rapid charges during its lifetime.
On fast chargers, it was kept between 45% - 80% SOC.
On Rapid chargers, a typical charge was from 15% to 85% SOC.
Monthly, it was given a balance charge.
Hopefully, my need for rapid charges will be greatly reduced with a ZS LR.

My final SOH as the car is now sold, as getting a new LR ZS.
SOH = 92%
Mileage 34,000
Age 33 months
Approx 60% of mileage on fast chargers and 40% on rapid chargers, so around 130-140 rapid charges during its lifetime.
On fast chargers, it was kept between 45% - 80% SOC.
On Rapid chargers, a typical charge was from 15% to 85% SOC.
Monthly, it was given a balance charge.
Hopefully, my need for rapid charges will be greatly reduced with a ZS LR.
You talk about an MG ZS EV?
How many miles the gom is showing now after a 100% SoC AC charge?
In Eco with HVAC on.
When new this was 163 miles
My car SoH = 94,81%
27 months
20846 Km/12953 miles
Almost no fast charge at all
Always charged to 80% with monthly balance.
Range with 100% SoC is 247 Km/154 miles
Actually degradation is getting much quicker then I hoped.

Last edited:
In Eco with HVAC on.
My car SoH = 94,81%
27 months
20846 Km/12953 miles
Yes, MG ZS EV Mk1
The displayed range at 100% charge, with all the trip counters reset and the car in Normal mode is 151 miles. Note that 151/163 = 92.6% so very close to the 92% SOH displayed.
I suspect that many of the Mk1 ZS EVs will be around 75% SOH at the end of the 7 year battery guarantee with perhaps a few just going under the 70%.

The actual SOH will be worse than that displayed as the car is masking the first year degradation. There is probably another 5% degradation to add to these numbers as the car shows 100% SOH constantly for the first 12 months - something that is not theoretically possible.

Yes, MG ZS EV Mk1
The displayed range at 100% charge, with all the trip counters reset and the car in Normal mode is 151 miles. Note that 151/163 = 92.6% so very close to the 92% SOH displayed.
I suspect that many of the Mk1 ZS EVs will be around 75% SOH at the end of the 7 year battery guarantee with perhaps a few just going under the 70%.

The actual SOH will be worse than that displayed as the car is masking the first year degradation. There is probably another 5% degradation to add to these numbers as the car shows 100% SOH constantly for the first 12 months - something that is not theoretically possible.
151 miles in normal mode is not bad, I have 154 in Eco.
I don’t know how much this is in normal, but I think another 10 miles less.
Again I always read this in Eco with HVAC on, this is matching with the 163 miles when the car is new.
I know the first year SoH is 100% steady because the counter has a kind of grace area.
I hope the process is getting more slowly in time, you read much about this.

Last edited:
This is an very interesting video that clearly depicts to me, that battery degradation is present and a common feature on the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) over time / distance / number of charging cycles.
I will include a couple of snap shots taken from Kev’s excellent video, which is definitely worth a view.
You can see in the pictures ( and hear him confirm ) that the car has been fully charged and is displaying a estimated range of 149 miles on the GOM in Eco mode.
If I remember correctly, the car is a 19 reg ( early adopter ) and has covered almost 42,000 miles in three years of ownership.
Both trips have been reset and his HV battery voltage is 448 volts ( which is as expected ).
If the car was in NORMAL mode the estimated range would likely be around 145 miles ( ish ).
This is a long way short of the original 163 miles predicted when the car was new.
This proves to me at least, that battery degradation is slowly continuing
to happen.

5039515F-2FA3-47C5-9968-5D2250AC8CCC.png

C5D4DB39-2AAE-4661-AC25-0EF6D559A4C6.png

Last edited:
This is an very interesting video that clearly depicts to me, that battery degradation is present and a common feature on the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) over time / distance / number of charging cycles.
I will include a couple of snap shots taken from Kev’s excellent video, which is definitely worth a view.
You can see in the pictures ( and hear him confirm ) that the car has been fully charged and is displaying a estimated range of 149 miles on the GOM in Eco mode.
If I remember correctly, the car is a 19 reg ( early adopter ) and has covered almost 42,000 miles in three years of ownership.
Both trips have been reset and his HV battery voltage is 448 volts ( which is as expected ).
If the car was in NORMAL mode the estimated range would likely be around 145 miles ( ish ).
This is a long way short of the original 163 miles predicted when the car was new.
This proves to me at least, that battery degradation is slowly continuing
to happen.

View attachment 10997

View attachment 10998
The two pictures are the same.:)
I think Kev’s pictures are with HVAC on, soooo important to compare
When my car was only one month old (still have photo’s) it was:
HVAC on Eco: 260 Km/162 miles
HVAC on Normal 237 Km/147 miles
The difference is 15 miles.
In Eco with HVAC off the gom even was showing 288 Km/179 miles!
If you use only the fan HVAC won’t harm the range.
That nice number of 163 miles (262 Km) new is measured in Normal with HVAC off.
As you see a lot of possibilities to measure.
8F8F8843-10FC-4C83-A4B0-11F450174050.jpeg

BTW that HV voltage of 448 V as you write is that based on BMS software later then january 2021?
Mine was 455 V but a few months ago I got new BMS firmware and now it is 449-450V.
Do you have a link of Kev’s video?

Last edited:
Is there a guide on how to compute the SOH for my 2022 ZS EV LR?

Happy to provide my stats if there is a guide on how to do it :)

The two pictures are the same.:)
I think Kev’s pictures are with HVAC on, soooo important to compare
When my car was only one month old (still have photo’s) it was:
HVAC on Eco: 260 Km/162 miles
HVAC on Normal 237 Km/147 miles
The difference is 15 miles.
In Eco with HVAC off the gom even was showing 288 Km/179 miles!
If you use only the fan HVAC won’t harm the range.
That nice number of 163 miles new is measured in Normal with HVAC off.
As you see a lot of possibilities to measure.
BTW that HV voltage of 448 V as you write is that based on BMS software later then january 2021?
Mine was 455 V but a few months ago I got new BMS firmware and now it is 449-450V.
Do you have a link of Kev’s video?
I have amended the picture in my above post and will endeavour to find out IF the HVAC was in use while the video was being shot.
As Kev was making this long trip in fair weather conditions and it looks like he intended to use Eco mode, then I somehow doubt he would be using the HVAC system on route, as he clearly knows the effects on the reporting range on the GOM with its use.
I am fairly confident that reported 149 miles of estimated GOM range is a regular predicted figure, given that I have watched many of his video’s and observed the reduction of range over time.
Other owners have reported similar figures on a sliding scale and mileage / age are a big factor in this.
@JodyS21 decided to set up a spread sheet, for keeping tabs on how Gen1 models performed with either the factory software, or running on the post Jan 15th 2021 BMS update applied.
We sold our ZS EV Gen1 at 20,000 miles and just over two years old.
I watched the reported range slowly reducing over that time frame, it was very linear and gradual, but it was definitely evident.
The estimated range in normal, with HVAC turned off and full charge and balance, slowly declined from 163 miles ( 450 volts on the pack ) after the BMS update, to reporting 448 - 449 volts and 153 miles of range.
Also all charging done from home on our wall box.
I will include the link to Kev’s video below.
You will see the stats right at the beginning.

@Lovemyev
Just look at this link:
I think you are right, degradation is quite lineair, about 2% a year.
Allthough you read a lot that is slowing down after some time, lets hope so:D
MG is completely safe with its 70% SoH guarentee after 7 years or in my case 8 years.
When you see the data at this site I think my MG’s SoH is about 100 minus (8x2) = 84% over 8 years.
This means the range will be changed from 163 miles to 137 miles.
This means some extra charging with long trips, special in winter.
And for some people it will become unusable.
But I am still wondering why some MG users are still having 98% SoH after using it the same time as mine, even with more mileage.
Sometimes I think that you must be lucky with a battery.

But I am still wondering why some MG users are still having 98% SoH after using it the same time as mine, even with more mileage.
Snap !.
I have been wondering the same thing myself for a LONG time.
Some cars have had update after update, so I have no idea if this has any bearing on the situation our not.
I keep reading that battery degradation is fairly high to start with, but then levels off ?.
Well what I see is higher mileage cars that are approaching 3 years are still losing range.
Age and mileage, together with the number of charging cycles must have some bearing on what is happening.
None of this important if the max range is not required on a regular basis or you mind charging more often of course.
Time will tell I guess.

I’ve all but stopped rapid charging mine now. For the odd long range holiday, there’s price near parity with diesel with none of the bunny hopping required with multiple rapids and advancing the battery degradation, which has tangible long-term cost.

@Lovemyev
Just look at this link:
I think you are right, degradation is quite lineair, about 2% a year.
Allthough you read a lot that is slowing down after some time, lets hope so:D
MG is completely safe with its 70% SoH guarentee after 7 years or in my case 8 years.
When you see the data at this site I think my MG’s SoH is about 100 minus (8x2) = 84% over 8 years.
This means the range will be changed from 163 miles to 137 miles.
This means some extra charging with long trips, special in winter.
And for some people it will become unusable.
On my car, the battery degradation is closer to 4%p.a. - I lost 8% in 34 months. As the first year degradation is hidden (the battery has sufficient extra capacity to absorb the first year's degradation) it means that it is losing 4% p.y thereafter. So for the full 7 year warranty, that will be 1 year hidden plus 6 X 4 = 24%, hence why I expect the car to be around 75% SOH af the end of the warranty. Some cars will be better, some worse. As mentioned previously, around 40% of my 34,000 mileage was from rapid charges.

The MK2 should be better as:
Less charging cycles for the same time and distance
In my case, less need to rapid charge.

On my car, the battery degradation is closer to 4%p.a. - I lost 8% in 34 months. As the first year degradation is hidden (the battery has sufficient extra capacity to absorb the first year's degradation) it means that it is losing 4% p.y thereafter. So for the full 7 year warranty, that will be 1 year hidden plus 6 X 4 = 24%, hence why I expect the car to be around 75% SOH af the end of the warranty. Some cars will be better, some worse. As mentioned previously, around 40% of my 34,000 mileage was from rapid charges.

The MK2 should be better as:
Less charging cycles for the same time and distance
In my case, less need to rapid charge.
I am afraid you could be right.
My ZS EV went to 99,9% SoH after exactly one year.
After SoH decreased to 94,8% in 14 months, which is 4,45% per year.
If this continues lineair you would have a very poor battery after 7 - 8 years.
I have 8 years guarentee on the battery, so maybe I could get a new one after 8 years.:)
70% from 163 miles = 114 miles range, is it possible to sell such an EV anyway?
I am used always drive for 12 - 13 years in the same car, maybe it could be an option just to replace the battery by that time.
I think this is cheaper then change the car for a new one.:rolleyes:

MG ZS EV is having a 105 Kw motor with a relatively small battery.
let’s say 430V average this result in current peaks from 244 amps, this is more then 2C as the battery is 110 Ah, this is a very heavy load!
The smaller the battery the higher the current will be per individual cell.
This could result in more quickly degradation.
I think it is better to stay as much as possible in the green area of the power meter.
But it feels sooo good to accelarate with this car.:cool:

Last edited:
In Eco with HVAC on.
My car SoH = 94,81%
27 months
20846 Km/12953 miles
You really need to compare with nothing on/HVAC off.
Depending on the conditions the HVAC will use different amounts of power, so with it on you will not get a consistent reading.
Normal mode, under no load, gives the WLTP figure of 163miles (trips reset obviously).
Ideally, you should take GOM reading after starting the car without the brake pedal pressed, to ensure no HV battery load affecting the reading.

You really need to compare with nothing on/HVAC off.
Depending on the conditions the HVAC will use different amounts of power, so with it on you will not get a consistent reading.
Normal mode, under no load, gives the WLTP figure of 163miles (trips reset obviously).
Ideally, you should take GOM reading after starting the car without the brake pedal pressed, to ensure no HV battery load affecting the reading.
You are right Jody, in the meantime I noticed this myself.
Just Normal mode with HVAC off is the standard to compare.
It makes a little bit difference with Eco and HVAC on, just one mile or so, that is why I always thougt that this was the right way.
I will keep it in mind for the future.
Thank you.

You are right Jody, in the meantime I noticed this myself.
Just Normal mode with HVAC off is the standard to compare.
It makes a little bit difference with Eco and HVAC on, just one mile or so, that is why I always thougt that this was the right way.
I will keep it in mind for the future.
Thank you.
I have received a reply from Kev of “KC Talks EV” regarding his comments on his video regarding suspected battery degradation on his car.

E6D985A0-B80B-4E27-8C0F-7077E67CBA0D.jpeg

I have received a reply from Kev of “KC Talks EV” regarding his comments on his video regarding suspected battery degradation on his car.

View attachment 11054
OK, in Eco with HVAC on 149 miles.
As I said in the post before, this does not make much difference with the standard: Normal/HVAC off.
And 91% from 163 miles = 148 miles also matches quite well with the 149 miles on his GOM.
You can use the GOM to indicate the SoH on this way, but only with reasonable temperatures, so not in winter.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom