Post your MG ZS EV battery SOH data please

So, when my battery degrades, would I see a reduced soh after charging on my dashboard, ie full charge would show 98% instead of 100 or would I only see this with equipment?

So, when my battery degrades, would I see a reduced soh after charging on my dashboard, ie full charge would show 98% instead of 100 or would I only see this with equipment?
You need equipment like OBD scanner or OVMS to see SoH.
The car (MG ZS EV) does not display this and always will show 100% SoC after full charge.
The only way to notice degradation is when estimated range @ 100% SoC is going down with reasonable summer temperatures.
Estimated range in a new car is 163 miles @ standard/HVAC off.
So if the car displays 155 miles SoH = 155/163 = 95%
But don’t try this in winter because then the battery capacity decreases from cold.

The car will still display 100% SOC but the predicted reportable range will be less as the battery degrades slightly over time / mileage covered and charging sessions performed.
Constant rapid charging is generally a factor in accelerating the battery 🪫 degradation.
Due to the heat that is generated as this takes place.
Although the debate is on going on this subject.
Remember that other factors will affect the return of predicted range, like ambient temperature etc.
There will be some amount of battery degradation over time, this is unavoidable.
Software would be required to get an accurate SOH of your HV battery.

how do i get that info up on a 2019 zs ev ?
Can you expand on what info you are especially looking for on your ZS EV Gen1 ?.
You can only get accurate SOH of your traction battery, if you have the necessary hardware / software to access the HV battery info.
The dealer can do this of course, but is likely to be a chargeable service.

Can you expand on what info you are especially looking for on your ZS EV Gen1 ?.
You can only get accurate SOH of your traction battery, if you have the necessary hardware / software to access the HV battery info.
The dealer can do this of course, but is likely to be a chargeable service.
The info is available using a OBD2 DEVICE and the Android App.

From what I read in general posts (not MG specific), mostly Tesla I guess, the SOH degradation slows markedly in the low 90%s. But even if it doesn't, it's not really alarming, nothing like what the early Nissan Leafs experienced:

The example given above, 91% after 42' miles, equates to 9% loss after 67'km (sorry for change in units). Here in Aus we got 160'km warranty on the Mk1. Assuming degradation continues the same that would give 21.5% loss, or 78.5% remaining at the end of warranty. Well above the 70% threshold for a warranty claim.
Also bear in mind that average distance travelled is lower than the 20'km assumed in the 8 year 160'km warranty I have. Here in Australia the average is about 14'km a year, meaning it takes 11 years to get to 160'km.

Extrapolating further, to get to 70% SOH would take 15 years. That's pretty close to the average life expectancy of small petrol SUVs.

Then there's the choice: either batteries got a lot cheaper, then replacing it would be a viable option (especially if one gets a credit for the remaining capacity of the old one that gets used in a stationary storage solution). Or sell it as a cheap city car. Still a lot better than many of the early Nissan Leafs that only have 80km actual range remaining and still fetch ~AU$12k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week mine was serviced at 30K km, 2 years of ownership and SOH is 94.5%.

Software was updated and now I can preheat the battery :LOL:🙄 greetings from a nice and warm Costa Rica.

Which OBD2 and android app are you all using?

I'm using the OBD2 Pro Scanner from the play store, the paid one less than a fiver if my memory serves me! .https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&gl=NO

My Mini OBDII is an old one I bought years ago around 2015 when I was thinking of buying a Nissan Leaf. It works perfectly on the ZS EV.

1666879415958.png

I'm using the OBD2 Pro Scanner from the play store, the paid one less than a fiver if my memory serves me! .https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&gl=NO

My Mini OBDII is an old one I bought years ago around 2015 when I was thinking of buying a Nissan Leaf. It works perfectly on the ZS EV.

View attachment 12184
Perfect thanks

Shock horror, after 28 months and 5.3k miles, my SOH has started to drop, it's at 99.95%. ;)
My cell imbalance seems to be increasing though. It was hovering around 40mV a year ago it's now at 62mV. It's always been the same two cells that are out. MU04 is always higher than the average reading at 4.224V just now and MU06 is always low, now at 4.162V. All the other cells are around 4.2. 🤔
Fully charged predicted range still good at 159 miles on the GOM. (y)

Shock horror, after 28 months and 5.3k miles, my SOH has started to drop, it's at 99.95%. ;)
My cell imbalance seems to be increasing though. It was hovering around 40mV a year ago it's now at 62mV. It's always been the same two cells that are out. MU04 is always higher than the average reading at 4.224V just now and MU06 is always low, now at 4.162V. All the other cells are around 4.2. 🤔
Fully charged predicted range still good at 159 miles on the GOM. (y)

Double shock horror! :eek:Just done my monthly 100% charge to balance the battery pack & was taken aback with the readings for such a low mileage car (2515) that's never seen a fast charger in the 21 months I've had it.

Charged to 100% & balanced showing 96.9 on OBD
Showing 98.92 SOH & 153 miles of range.
gTTkSBrl.png

NH2kFSCl.jpg

never seen a fast charger in the 21 months I've had it.
Take it you mean rapid and technically your car is always getting DC charge when it Regens full Regen is similar to 40+ kW yes only in short burts but still unbalances batterys

Take it you mean rapid and technically your car is always getting DC charge when it Regens full Regen is similar to 40+ kW yes only in short burts but still unbalances batterys
From now on, KERS 1 it is then. ;)

Max regen strength on the facelift ZS EV LR has been reduced, when comparing it to the previous ZS EV Gen 1 model.
This maybe the intended reason then 🤷‍♂️.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom