• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Post your MG ZS EV battery SOH data please

Hello all,

One year with my MG ZS EV Luxury.

SOH 100%
20.2 kkm (~12.5kmiles)
1 year old
<1% Rapid charging (3 Rapids done, all else is slow AC charging (between 2 et 4Kw @home)
About 10-15 charges to 100% (100% reached some hours before departure)

Mainly used from day to day office travel (80 to 100km per day).
Battery often between 50 - 80% charging (only 2 or 3 times below 20%).

My driving is not brutal but i remain very dynamic and don't count my kwh ! :)

1674641833045.png

Just purchased a second hand MG ZS ev from 4-2020 with 28400km.
We got a lot of “please slow charge warnings” right after purchase so bought a OBD2 dongle.
This is what it says, SOH 97.75% but delta V is 400mV. Could this be a damaged cell? Or could it be resolved by balancing?

7E6AE901-4BBB-4B25-9E1F-F56EB23CA5AA.png
CEA8D001-27F7-4982-A1E9-E03A81C0467C.png

Last edited:
Just purchased a second hand MG ZS ev from 4-2020 with 28400km.
We got a lot of “please slow charge warnings” right after purchase so bought a OBD2 dongle.
This is what it says, SOH 97.75% but delta V is 400mV. Could this be a damaged cell? Or could it be resolved by balancing?

View attachment 16183View attachment 16184
Definitely start with a balancing after all the car is asking for it so long overdue

Yes we did start balancing immediately after the first warning.. Every day we charge it to 100% and leave it plugged in till the next morning. The min. cell Voltage only raised from 3.72V to 3.74V after 10 balancing cycles (which take approx. 4 hours each time).
Why doesn’t it balance for 10 hours if the cells are so out of balance?

Definitely a cell imbalance between the Min cell volts & the Max cell volts. My Min-Max cell volts are around 4.2 to 4.22.

Yes we did start balancing immediately after the first warning.. Every day we charge it to 100% and leave it plugged in till the next morning. The min. cell Voltage only raised from 3.72V to 3.74V after 10 balancing cycles (which take approx. 4 hours each time).
Why doesn’t it balance for 10 hours if the cells are so out of balance?
There is a point that it stops balancing or the cell it's trying to recover will over heat you could just have a bad cell you could try and run the battery down so start the process a lot lower down

A four hour balancing cycle sounds about normal on a ZS EV ( Gen1 ) that HAS received the BMS update, pre BMS cars running on the original factory software, can usually perform a balance cycle in about 45 minutes to 1 hour, IF the pack has been balanced fairly often.
Do you happen to know if the car is pre / post BMS update ??.

A four hour balancing cycle sounds about normal on a ZS EV ( Gen1 ) that HAS received the BMS update, pre BMS cars running on the original factory software, can usually perform a balance cycle in about 45 minutes to 1 hour, IF the pack has been balanced fairly often.
Do you happen to know if the car is pre / post BMS update ??.

The car has the latest BMS update done 3 weeks ago. So definitely post BMS update (charging with unlocked doors and 449V).

The car has the latest BMS update done 3 weeks ago. So definitely post BMS update (charging with unlocked doors and 449V).
Voltage looks fine, what is the GOM predicting as your range after a full charge and balance then ?.
From my previous experience on running on both types of software on the Gen1 - I think the very best / quickest time I could ever get the balance cycle to complete, was about 3 ish ???.
But 4 hours was the usual norm.
I am lead to believe that as part of the BMS update, they increased the size of buffer at the top end of the battery.
This effect lengthened the balance cycle time is the general consensus of option.

My 18 months old MG ZS EV Mk1 has only ever been charged at 2.2kw on a Granny charger. Never seen a fast charger. I have run it to almost zero many times because I have to and always charge it back up to 100% and allow it to balance almost every time,. None of this "keep it in the 20% -80% range" malarky as the car is not fit for purpose if I have to do that ? 28k plus in and still 100% SOH. Too many soothesayers on here making everyone worry when the BMS is quite capable of looking after your battery.
Screenshot_2023-03-08-15-30-43-49_6c3649c0e80913619d728ac7fe39c2ba.jpg

Hello all,

One year with my MG ZS EV Luxury.

SOH 100%
20.2 kkm (~12.5kmiles)
1 year old
[bla bla, zip zip zip]

Hello again,

First MG service last week !

So after 14 months (yes, i know, i was so laaate to do it :rolleyes:), my mileage was 23973 kms (seller tells me that warranty limit seems to be 24000km between services :eek:)

100% SOH again, printed by MG OBD tool.

Seems that MG ZS LR 2022 (NMC battery) has a great battery system and/or great hidden buffer capacity size.

Will give SOH at my next service.

Out-of-Context note for french owners : Great team at MG Vichy, 100.4€ for first service including a near 4 hours software update ! Electrical tests, but no fluid changed.

Just done a 100% charge & balance on my 2020 Gen 1 ZS EV. Showing 136 miles range on Normal mode with trips reset.
q0AvPVdl.png

PjOt2F6l.jpg
Are you running on Pre or post BMS update @chowbenter ?.
Pack voltage suggests it's pre BMS update and a low milage user case here of course.
SOC suggests not fully charged at 95.9% ?.
The battery pack voltage ( pre BMS ) was around 456 volts if I remember correctly, please correct me if I am wrong here folks ?.
Predicted range on the GOM looks a little low, any 12 volts items turned on BTW ?.
The SOH at 98.42% is reflective of the figures above though.

Are you running on Pre or post BMS update @chowbenter ?.
Pack voltage suggests it's pre BMS update and a low milage user case here of course.
SOC suggests not fully charged at 95.9% ?.
The battery pack voltage ( pre BMS ) was around 456 volts if I remember correctly, please correct me if I am wrong here folks ?.
Predicted range on the GOM looks a little low, any 12 volts items turned on BTW ?.
The SOH at 98.42% is reflective of the figures above though.
It hasn't had any updates since I got it from new even though it's had two services where I asked each time is there any updates for it but they said no.
A full charge has always been 96.4 when charged to 100% until recently.
Yes the fan was turned on when I took the picture.

It hasn't had any updates since I got it from new even though it's had two services where I asked each time is there any updates for it but they said no.
A full charge has always been 96.4 when charged to 100% until recently.
Yes the fan was turned on when I took the picture.
Okay - The pack voltage suggests it has NOT received the BMS update, which does not surprise me TBH and is not really the end of the world.
If you are happy with the way it is charging / range and performance then fine, leave it alone !.
Plenty of cases of dealers skipped and diving any updates, as I am sure you have witnessed.
It's a good idea to have everything turned OFF when your checking figures, as this can affect the results (y).
You are a low milage user, so I would really not get too paranoid over your battery SOH.
Clearly the car MORE than suits your usage pattern, so just charge & drive.

Okay - The pack voltage suggests it has NOT received the BMS update, which does not surprise me TBH and is not really the end of the world.
If you are happy with the way it is charging / range and performance then fine, leave it alone !.
Plenty of cases of dealers skipped and diving any updates, as I am sure you have witnessed.
It's a good idea to have everything turned OFF when your checking figures, as this can affect the results (y).
You are a low milage user, so I would really not get too paranoid over your battery SOH.
Clearly the car MORE than suits your usage pattern, so just charge & drive.

Yes I've been more than happy with it for my usage, It drives really good with no problems. A month prior to the services they always rang me to ask how the car is & I tell them everything's fine so I suspect you're right & they don't do any updates in case of problems. :)

Hi guys, out of curiosity, I took a photo of the obd port and shocked to discover there’s rust on the metal plate around the port and my car is only 10 months old. I also checked the SOH and it’s 95.92% (4.1 degragation) I’m a low mileage driver but did few rapid charge during the summer trips and constantly charge to 100% and balanced the battery.
But as I read on this forum it’s quite normal for LFP battery on its first year and stays flat afterwards.. hopefully..

See photos attached:

Attachments

• 48DD60A6-0C50-4E06-BDB6-670F417FE1D9.jpeg
    48DD60A6-0C50-4E06-BDB6-670F417FE1D9.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 103
  • B3DB0A4E-7D0B-41D7-AF47-3090A4ADBB72.jpeg
    B3DB0A4E-7D0B-41D7-AF47-3090A4ADBB72.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 100
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel