Post your MG ZS EV battery SOH data please

Just returned my 2 year old Mk 1 ZS after its lease period. Due to my business it's always been charged to 100% and balanced and only ever at 2.2kw via my home MG supplied granny charger. The 20-80% brigade would be sucking through their teeth at hearing that !! Here are the results after 32k. I make that a 0.4% loss per year which would be a 4% loss in 10 years. I will continue to charge my next car, an MG Marvel, the same way as all this 20-80% malarkey is nonsense. The BMS will take care of the battery IMO.

Screenshot_2023-08-28-10-34-50-89_6c3649c0e80913619d728ac7fe39c2ba.jpg

View attachment 4512

I'm going to try to pull together some data regarding battery State Of Health, we now have cars about that have done a reasonable mileage.

These are the bits that I think would be good to know:
SOH %
Mileage done
Car age (since registered)
Rought percentage of DC (Rapid) charges vs AC charges.
How many times do you think you've charged to 100%
GOM shown in Normal(3) after a 100% charge, with both trips reset (car started without brake pedal pressed/under no load) (this gives a good indication of SOH if you haven't got access to OBD2 data)

Mine, to start things off:
SOH 97.27%
10.5k miles
7 months old
5% Rapid charging (5 Rapids done, about 100 AC charges)
About 84 charges to 100%
GOM 159miles
How do I perform a battery SOH please.

How do I perform a battery SOH please.
You need an OBD Bluetooth dongle and a suitable app. The obd dongle can be a bit of a minefield but the apps are usually free. I use one that looks like this but I can't promise this will work as they seem to stick the same stickers on them all:

Amazon product ASIN B07CP632CL
Apps are: car scanner, torque or eZS.

I am confused about the question; what we should care the most for higher SOH? My understanding was; avoid DC, never use if possible. Charge the car with AC only and up to %80. These two metrics are the critical ones.
However I just read a Tesla article with car&battery statistics, even only DC used cars SOH is almost equal to only AC used cars. There were no correlation between DC use and SOH as per the Tesla article. The most important metric is the temperature while you charge the car. If too cold or hot temperature, SOH decreases rapidly in time.
If that’s the case, the data collected in this survey can be improved…The weather temperature data also needs to be collected 🙏

the data collected in this survey can be improved…The weather temperature data also needs to be collected 🙏
Absolutely, we would ideally be collecting data such as average state of charge, time spent at 100%, ratio of DC to AC charging, average depth of discharge and more.

The problem is that not everyone responds with the age of the car, let alone those other things. Even if they did provide all of that, I doubt there would be enough responses to provide a statistically relevant result and I don't have the skills to properly analyse that anyway.

After following similar LEAF threads the main use is so that people can check how their car is doing compared to the average, or, how a car they are thinking of buying compares.

It's also useful to see how it compares to other makes and models. If this data is public then it might incentivise manufacturers to prioritise lifetime when choosing a battery type.

View attachment 4512

I'm going to try to pull together some data regarding battery State Of Health, we now have cars about that have done a reasonable mileage.

These are the bits that I think would be good to know:
SOH %
Mileage done
Car age (since registered)
Rought percentage of DC (Rapid) charges vs AC charges.
How many times do you think you've charged to 100%
GOM shown in Normal(3) after a 100% charge, with both trips reset (car started without brake pedal pressed/under no load) (this gives a good indication of SOH if you haven't got access to OBD2 data)

Mine, to start things off:
SOH 97.27%
10.5k miles
7 months old
5% Rapid charging (5 Rapids done, about 100 AC charges)
About 84 charges to 100%
GOM 159miles
SOH 100% 12,000 miles, 19 months, about 12% rapid, GOM 220

It's two months since I charged to 100% & did a balance. It's pretty much identical to the last one.
2020 ZS EV
3917 miles.
Still no DC charges.

170 miles in Eco mode.
155 miles in Normal mode.

RLNmGadl.png
Low usage case combined with the low number of charging sessions, offers some indication why the battery degradation is slow and expected 👍.

Similar

39620 miles
88.92% SoH
Ouch, that is lower than what one would have hoped for looking at early Teslas. I wonder if they used different buffers, and the decline slows down a lot soon, or whether the MG batteries are not as good as the ones in Tesla cars. I would have thougt, being from CATL, they would be top notch. :-(

Hi,
My car has just had its first service at 12,000 miles/1yr and the service sheet shows the SOH is only 89%. This appears to be well below average and it is causing me some concern.
I usually charge at home to 80% or about once or twice a month to 100% and have only done about 8 DC charges in that time so I don't think that should cause such degradation.
Any thoughts on why this might be and and any actions/remedies to minimise the further losses would be most welcome.

Hi! Our ZS Ev 2021 mod. has 92.4% SOH, and its ride is 30600 km. It have been charged the way you describe that you do, and some more DC charge. It looks like the SOH laks ca. 0.2% per 1000 km on our car.
Other cars have higher SOH, even they have ride much longer, so its not easy to find the reason why your SOH are like it are....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom