Pre heat battery

Ahha! I THINK I have the answer!! After repeated attempts to engage the Battery Heater, I have found that the error message: ‘Battery Pack Heating Failure’ is displayed when the Car Charging timer is active. Switch off the Car Charger Timer and hey presto…… well it works for me anyway! Hoping you all meet with similar success.

Ahha! I THINK I have the answer!! After repeated attempts to engage the Battery Heater, I have found that the error message: ‘Battery Pack Heating Failure’ is displayed when the Car Charging timer is active. Switch off the Car Charger Timer and hey presto…… well it works for me anyway! Hoping you all meet with similar success.
Ah, that’s interesting! I might try it tomorrow.

Hmm, I'm using V1.19 on Android and I'm still getting 'battery pack heating failure' on mine. Scheduled heating doesn't work either.
@brianharries if you mean the "Scheduled Charging" toggle in the app, then mine is off as I don't use the car to manage my charging, it's done via the Ohme app. :unsure:

I have tried many variations - switching off scheduled charging, scheduled battery heating on or off. It still doesn’t work.
Just going to do what @N2STY suggests; pre-heat the cabin for the 10 minutes and hope it helps.

Done a 5 min battery heater test as got to work bit early
Before
Screenshot_20221216-214846.png

Start up
Screenshot_20221216-214908.png

5 mins
Screenshot_20221216-215504.png

So a bit more testing on way home -5 40 mins battery heater on so probably take a whole hour for sweet spot?
Screenshot_20221217-062646.png

I don't really understand the point of the battery heating. Unless you are in a hurry to fast charge at optimum speed within half an hour, then it's just a waste of energy. The consumption gain when driving must be very small compared with the energy put in for the heating. Or is there some use for it that I'm missing?

My experience of driving in very cold ❄️-10C is that the defrost and cabin warm-up means you have to drive longer before the consumption average drops to "normal".

Btw been testing remote battery heating today and you can only switch it on if the car is actively charging if charging is full or paused and still plugged in it says fail to get it to work you need to put on remote cabin heater for a bit for charger to kick in then battery heater will go on or just up your charge limit
Basically if you go to charge management and it says not charging the remote battery heater will not work if it say charging it will work well on my car lol

So a bit more testing on way home -5 40 mins battery heater on so probably take a whole hour for sweet spot?
View attachment 13750
Which app do you get these values with?

I have the new version 1.1.8 on Android. I used the preheating a while this morning. It used about 6kw for 15 min, but I didn't notice any decreased consumption when driving 200km afterwards (-2°C). The average was 2,1kw/100km. Mostly 110km/h.
By the way - no errors.
I am very confused.
How do you know the 6kW?
Mine needs 22kWh/100km at these temperatures. You only 2.1?!?
Do you always mean kWh? This is a unit of energy.
kW is a unit of power. At 6 kWh in 15 minutes, that would be a power of 24kW. That would be huge!

Which app do you get these values with?

I am very confused.
How do you know the 6kW?
Mine needs 22kWh/100km at these temperatures. You only 2.1?!?
Do you always mean kWh? This is a unit of energy.
kW is a unit of power. At 6 kWh in 15 minutes, that would be a power of 24kW. That would be huge!
The trip meter shows kWh/10km. Now in winter I'm getting 1.7kwh for slower driving and 2.2 at 110km/h. More for really short trips. Normal and expected. If I remember, the preheating was 6kw and not 6kwh. It was probably doing more than just heating the battery. I think others with better knowledge have found out the battery heater is using 3kw.

Just a quick battery heater test to see how much power it uses the heater it's self is a 3kw water heater View attachment 13898
Car in ready mode uses about 0.3kw when lights are on but cabin heater is off when battery heater is on you have 3kw after start up and about 0.3 kw for the water pump here is a very quick video showing power used a you can see the HV battery coolant warming

I'm still not convinced that the battery heating always on toggle on my SR Trophy actually does anything.
2hrs15 of driving with it on in 0c temperatures, plugged in at a 135kw/h charger and it sat on 31kw/h for over 30mins heating the battery (eventually maxed out at 48kw/h which is the fastest I've ever managed).
Had the heater toggle off on the way home, 90mins of driving, plugged into a Geniepoint and spent 30mins with the battery heating and 31kw/h. Once heating finished it maxed out at 38kw/h

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom