Preparing for our MG4

Mine came with a granny (i.e. 3-pin plug on the end) charge lead. Not measured it but someone else reckons they're 3m long. However I do already have a 7kW home wall box, tethered with a 5m lead.

This helps a lot - thanks. There was a link to a 3 phase cable on another thread which i was going to but then noticed its kW rating was less than 11kw so wasn't sure if it was correct. I'll make sure it's a 22kw one.
Yes, 3 phase 32A 22kw the cable should say 5G6mm2+1x0.5mm2 450/750V

I was going to fabricate my own but this cost me 109.21 euros after discounts in aliexpress (i did buy at black friday time) or about 94 pounds so wasn't worth my time and in any case probable would find it difficult to buy the bits for that price and i have to say it is excellent quality, They send it from france so only took about 5 days.

this is the one i bought if of any interest, make sure you choose the right cable it was the one on the far right when i bought

Last edited:
As someone whose ordered their first EV, what chargers actually come with the car? I'm interested to know as I most intended to charge at home, but won't have a wall charger installed.
the AC charger is in and part of the cars electronics.

What MAY (UK) come with the car (I'm in spain and nothing comes with the car except whart the dealers wants to sell you extra for a pretty price) is either a type 2 to type 2 cable (for connecting to Public AC charging stations or an untethered home charging station) or a so called granny charger which isn't really a charger it's proper name is an EVSE which just tells the car what charge the cars charger can take from the outlet.

But most UK home sockets are limited to 13amp or just over 3kw and really should NOT be used to charge a car for 6 hours or so continuously at that wattage, using an evse. They where not designed to do that as there is a danger of them getting hot and causing a fire etc.

if you are not going to get a proper charge point installed then at the least you should, in my opinion, is get an electrician (if you don't know how to do it yourself) to install a separate dedicated circuit with its own differencial with uprated wiring and sockets etc for the car.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel