Preparing for our MG4

memo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
MG4 preparation items.jpeg

:)

Whatever you do don't add up all the bits and bobs you buy in preparation for your new car. It'll be more than you think. I'm on about £300 and I haven't had the EV charger installed yet.

Hopefully picking mine up in a couple of weeks. Is there some kind of checkl8st for the stuff I should be getting in advance? I thought it came with the correct lead but I guess there's different lead options?

Hopefully picking mine up in a couple of weeks. Is there some kind of checkl8st for the stuff I should be getting in advance? I thought it came with the correct lead but I guess there's different lead options?
There is nothing you need to get in advance. It's just some of us have an unfortunate affliction that means we like getting car accessories.
The car will probably come with a granny charger. The early ones came with a Type 2 but only because they hadn't got any granny chargers at that time.

There is nothing you need to get in advance. It's just some of us have an unfortunate affliction that means we like getting car accessories.
The car will probably come with a granny charger. The early ones came with a Type 2 but only because they hadn't got any granny chargers at that time.
I don't mind picking up a few things in advance - all part of the fun. Is there anything that comes close to 'essential' aside from the granny charger that comes with the car. I'll be using public chargers as don't have off road parking.

I think it comes with a type 2 to type 2 single phase cable.

In another thread about charging they had a type 2 to type 2 3 phase cable which got a better Kwh on 22 Kw chargers, so that cable type is something that would worth getting I think. (If you are getting a trophy).

Last edited:
I thin it comes with a type 2 to type 2 single phase cable.

In another thread about charging they had a type 2 to type 2 3 phase cable which got a better Kwh on 22 Kw chargers, so that cable type is something that would worth getting I think.
Ah yeah - I saw that mentioned on the other thread. I'll try and pick one of those up in advance. Thanks!

Apart from the wall charger which is fitted on Saturday, the only extra ive bought is a vehicle to load adapter. Im usually hundreds of pounds into accessories by now but as this is my first EV im taking a cautious route.

My MG4 is supposed to be collected today but im feeling a little Ghosted by the dealer so not expecting to need any accessories for a while.

There is no new question. ;)

Whatever you do don't add up all the bits and bobs you buy in preparation for your new car. It'll be more than you think. I'm on about £300 and I haven't had the EV charger installed yet.
Too late, I already did.:) That photo cost 326 euros and that's without the 25 ish meters of 10mm cable and differential etc to my consumer unit that I need to buy.

Last edited:
Here in Spain the car does not come with any cables at all according to the websites very small print.

But when I asked the dealer to itemise exactly what where the extra costs that were on the quote, one was a type 2 to type2 cable for 260 euros plus vat.

When I saw the cable I pointed out it was only a single phase 32a cable, meaning it would charge at a absolute maximum of 7kw not the 11kw the car is capable of. He said I don't have to pay for it. So I didn't.

So I bought the type 2 to type 2, 3 phase 22kw cable in the picture for 109 euros, cannot make my own for that price. And the 2.3kw to 7.36kw variable EVSE in the picture for 139 euros.

Ah yeah - I saw that mentioned on the other thread. I'll try and pick one of those up in advance. Thanks!
If you have the SR it only charges on AC at a max of 7kw so a single phase 32a cable is fine.

But if your model can charge at 11kw then get a 3 phase 32a 22kw cable. As that will charge at 11kw on 11kw or above 3 phase AC charging stations.

Don't get a 3 phase 16a 11kw cable, like I've seen advertised, thinking that's all you need, as on a single phase charging station it will only charge at 3.7kw.

Personally I would get a 3 phase 32a 22kw cable anyway whatever your model as the price if you look in the right places is much the same and you will be future proofed if you change cars.

Too late, I already did.:) That photo cost 326 euros and that's without the 25 ish meters of 10mm cable and differential etc to my consumer unit that I need to buy.
That photo cost you 326 euros? Who took it - David Bailey?

Last edited:
If you have the SR it only charges on AC at a max of 7kw so a single phase 32a cable is fine.

But if your model can charge at 11kw then get a 3 phase 32a 22kw cable. As that will charge at 11kw on 11kw or above 3 phase AC charging stations.

Don't get a 3 phase 16a 11kw cable, like I've seen advertised, thinking that's all you need, as on a single phase charging station it will only charge at 3.7kw.

Personally I would get a 3 phase 32a 22kw cable anyway whatever your model as the price if you look in the right places is much the same and you will be future proofed if you change cars.
This helps a lot - thanks. There was a link to a 3 phase cable on another thread which i was going to but then noticed its kW rating was less than 11kw so wasn't sure if it was correct. I'll make sure it's a 22kw one.

As someone whose ordered their first EV, what chargers actually come with the car? I'm interested to know as I most intended to charge at home, but won't have a wall charger installed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back