Price cut ?

MG ZS aside, I think what this might put pressure on is cars like the ID3.

It was possible to get an ID3 a shade under £30k at one point, but since the chip shortages really started to bite and the wait times stacked up, they jacked their prices up a lot. I think that now starts at around £38K.

Anyone looking at a mid range ID3 makes it a tough sell now. I think VW might have to make some cuts unless their backlog persists...

I also had "No front facing radar for crash mitigation and ACC" on my "Reasons to not want it" list, but i have seen conflicting reports, and some websites claims it is only cars sold in NA, that does not have it.
I find this talk about no radar a bit amusing. I got a model S in 2016, one of the first with the revised shape and additional cameras. Doing my weekly M5, M42, M1 run was fun, as the car didn't like some of the bridges over the motorway and would brake heavily. Got used to it and applied throttle approaching these points. After the first software update, problem solved. However, reading the manual, discovered it was cured by the system ignoring stationary objects once speed was over 50mph! This was still the case in Feb19 when the car went back (company car).

During 2017 Tesla stated during another update that the software had fundamentally changed, in that in the event of a conflict between the cameras and the radar, the cameras would take priority. Always wondered how long it would be before they were removed permanently.

@hmadsen
But I expect your wife has delivered beautiful babies for you to cherish, which can take a toll on anyone’s body.

@Bodgerx
I went to look at the ID3, with a view to test drive and order. But the interior was, imho, hideous! I couldn’t have bought one.

@Bodgerx
I went to look at the ID3, with a view to test drive and order. But the interior was, imho, hideous! I couldn’t have bought one.
After owning many new VW models and being a big fan boy over the years, I though the ID3 was very disappointing inside, that disappointed I never bothered test driving it, can you believe !.
The out going e.Golf had a better quality feel to the interior, although a bit dated now of course.
IF ( which I am not ) was in the market for another lower ride five door hatch ( like the ID3 ) then I would go for the CUPRA all day long !.
It's the car the ID3 wanted to be, but never really made the grade somehow !.

@Lovemyev
I also looked at the Cupra - thought it was gorgeous, but over the price limit for the grant, and out of my budget too!!
That is very honest ( and I like that ) and totally fair enough Susanna !.
My mobility issues favours a higher ride height these days.
So the Cupra is just a pipe dream.
As you age, you tend to think with your head, rather than your heart XX.

Last edited:
I never got to sit in the Cupra actually, just had a live video demonstration as there was only one of them in the country at the time. I was in a local dealership with the video link to the garage with the vehicle and able to ask questions and request different aspects to be shown, inside and out.
So, back to the drawing board and more research. When I discovered the MG, I was happy with almost everything (especially the price) and the rest is history. The Cupra would have been a tight fit in my garage, so it turned out well in the end. I agree with you about the ride height. I am also of an age when these things become important!!

@hmadsen
But I expect your wife has delivered beautiful babies for you to cherish, which can take a toll on anyone’s body.

@Bodgerx
I heard that some countries was thinking of mandating that VW put the anti drowsiness detection system in the ID.3 and ID.4 because they were afraid that people would fall asleep, having to look at that booooring interior in those cars.

In the ID3 VW have dropped the ball - in both price and quality. It’s sold mainly due to the VW badge.
If it had an MG badge it would be criticised even more for poor quality materials etc, the VW brand used to make top notch cars.

I was looking to buy an EV for long and after seeing the MG4, decided to go for it. The test-drives in Netherlands started in the last two weeks of December, and after the first drive, I immediately placed an order for a Luxury (Trophy) in Silver, that was supposed to be delivered in late February.
All in all it was going to cost €34k after the ~3k subsidy, at that point a RWD M3 was €54k. While I have been in love with Teslas for as long as I can remember, a 20k difference didn't seem worth it.
After the price drop on Friday, I immediately cancelled the MG4, booked a M3 base model, and now that it also qualifies for the subsidy, it will be at €43k. About 9k(25%)more than the MG.
For me the decision makers were:
  1. Size: More legroom in rear, cargo space and frunk.
  2. Power and handling: With frequent trips to Germany, the extra speed and acceleration will be very handy.
  3. Direct sales and support: I want to avoid dealing with dealership staff if possible.
  4. Immediate availability: I got lucky and found the exact configuration in inventory, so delivery by the early next week
  5. Autopilot and other safety features: While on paper MG has mostly the same, Tesla's are practically far superior and will get better over time, where as MG's future updates are not guaranteed.
  6. Native supercharging support: While, in most of Europe, superchargers are now open to non-Tesla, the ease and integration for Tesla users is seamless.
  7. Extra range and efficiency: This isn't a major factor, but the M3 range is a tad higher than the MG4. Over thousands of km, the energy efficiency will impact cost of running it, given the prices of electricity here in Netherlands.
In the end, I feel super lucky that this price change came in a month before I was going to take delivery and I was able to get an inventory car and the subsidy!

I was looking to buy an EV for long and after seeing the MG4, decided to go for it. The test-drives in Netherlands started in the last two weeks of December, and after the first drive, I immediately placed an order for a Luxury (Trophy) in Silver, that was supposed to be delivered in late February.
All in all it was going to cost €34k after the ~3k subsidy, at that point a RWD M3 was €54k. While I have been in love with Teslas for as long as I can remember, a 20k difference didn't seem worth it.
After the price drop on Friday, I immediately cancelled the MG4, booked a M3 base model, and now that it also qualifies for the subsidy, it will be at €43k. About 9k(25%)more than the MG.
For me the decision makers were:
  1. Size: More legroom in rear, cargo space and frunk.
  2. Power and handling: With frequent trips to Germany, the extra speed and acceleration will be very handy.
  3. Direct sales and support: I want to avoid dealing with dealership staff if possible.
  4. Immediate availability: I got lucky and found the exact configuration in inventory, so delivery by the early next week
  5. Autopilot and other safety features: While on paper MG has mostly the same, Tesla's are practically far superior and will get better over time, where as MG's future updates are not guaranteed.
  6. Native supercharging support: While, in most of Europe, superchargers are now open to non-Tesla, the ease and integration for Tesla users is seamless.
  7. Extra range and efficiency: This isn't a major factor, but the M3 range is a tad higher than the MG4. Over thousands of km, the energy efficiency will impact cost of running it, given the prices of electricity here in Netherlands.
In the end, I feel super lucky that this price change came in a month before I was going to take delivery and I was able to get an inventory car and the subsidy!
Can i ask you, how did the cancellation go ?

Did they just say "Okay, here is your deposit back" ??

The reason i am seriously considering a Model Y instead of my ordered MG ZS EV, right now is mostly availability, and the fact that i can get a larger car, with more room, extra range, allround better automation and safety and extra range at not that great of a cost.

Not sure how it goes in other countries, but in Netherlands, there is no deposit required for the booking at MG. You do however, sign a contract that can be held up legally if the seller wants to do it.
In my case, the dealer did try to 'threaten' me saying that I can't just cancel the car as it has been ordered for me, etc. However, I had signed the contract on the 2nd of January, and a Dutch law allows buyers to cancel the purchase/return goods in the first 14 days. This came in handy, and I was able to get the cancellation done without much fuss.

I’m hearing about subsidies from many of our friends from around the world on this forum.
Is the UK the worst place to buy a new EV these days? Nil subsidies, poor charging infrastructure, taxation imminent, higher cost new, high ’servicing’ cost…

I’m hearing about subsidies from many of our friends from around the world on this forum.
Is the UK the worst place to buy a new EV these days? Nil subsidies, poor charging infrastructure, taxation imminent, higher cost new, high ’servicing’ cost…
Not strictly true on tax. The BIK is still significantly different on EVs.

Tax rises are imminent on VED, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the UK shifts to road pricing as the true costs of providing the infrastructure I still think car owners are shielded from.

The BIK diff is enough to make my lease affordable, and probably likewise many others... Salary Sacrifice/Company cars are significant part of the market.

Saturday

Monday

:D
To be fair, I know exactly what you mean.
Yeah, im really torn right now.

Honestly, with the new prices for a Tesla model Y, the ZS EV is just simply to expensive.

Right now i can get a standard range Model Y that has the same range as the
MG ZS EV, for only about £4000 more here in Denmark.

We have agreed to go test a Model Y, probably friday or in the weekend, i need to sit in it and drive it, before i make up any decisions.

The kids are really stoked that we might buy one, even if we have told them that this is still a big "Maybe"

The extra 2½ inches of rear seat, the bigger panoramic sunroof, the ability for the rear seats to recline, and the heated rear seats all make them ALL for it.

Yeah, and then it IS a Tesla, i think they still think it would be cool to go to school and say "We just bought a tesla" even though with the price cuts, it's not really a "luxury item" price wisem as it once was. :)

Having looked at quite a few videos today, there just seems to be a lot of small things that makes the Tesla a lot more desireable than for example the MG ZS EV.

Just the ability to have more than one person logged in to the car is a really big plus. We always (In our 4 months of ownership) hated the fact that if i logged in, the next time my wife used the car and needed to remote turn on climate control, she had to log in, and vice versa.

Also the feature where the car has individual settings for the seat position, steering wheel position and wing mirror position, and will adjust to the driver is really nice. On the ZS EV it can not do this....We never had a car that could do this, but on the ZS EV it was extra frustrating.

My wife is shorter than me, so she always moves the seat forward, and when i then want to use the car later, i usually jam myself in between the seat and the steering wheel, before remembering to adjust the seat.

On manually adjusted seats its usually "Pull a lever, pull back...Takes 1 second" but on the MG ZS EV with the electric seats it would take multiple seconds while it slowly went back.

The solution is offcourse for my wife to wind the seat back when getting out, but she is very forgetful and almost never did this. (Have used this multiple times when she complains that i do not put the seat down on the toilet after peing....I then say "As long as you do not set the seat back when exiting the car, i will not put down the seat".....I know...Not very intelligent, but it's a snappy comeback :) )

Strangest thing of all is...The MG ZS EV has all of the motors, and so on, atleast for wing mirrors and electric seat, so why they chose to NOT do the software and make it automatic is really strange.

Right now i can get a standard range Model Y that has the same range as the
MG ZS EV, for only about £4000 more here in Denmark.
In your case it looks like a no-brainer. In the UK the Model Y starts at £45k with the MG4 Trophy selling at £32,500, so a £12.5k difference. Even at that, there will be some people prepared to make the jump.

Can i ask you, how did the cancellation go ?

Did they just say "Okay, here is your deposit back" ??

The reason i am seriously considering a Model Y instead of my ordered MG ZS EV, right now is mostly availability, and the fact that i can get a larger car, with more room, extra range, allround better automation and safety and extra range at not that great of a cost.
Read your contract with the dealer. With Howards in Taunton, if they fail to deliver within 4 weeks of the predicted delivery then I can give 14 days written notice to cancel. If they fail to deliver in the 14days I get my deposit back. Was looking to find a car in stock so I could cancel, but delivery is now 02mar23, so am waiting.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom