Price cut ?

Not sure how it goes in other countries, but in Netherlands, there is no deposit required for the booking at MG. You do however, sign a contract that can be held up legally if the seller wants to do it.
In my case, the dealer did try to 'threaten' me saying that I can't just cancel the car as it has been ordered for me, etc. However, I had signed the contract on the 2nd of January, and a Dutch law allows buyers to cancel the purchase/return goods in the first 14 days. This came in handy, and I was able to get the cancellation done without much fuss.
Well here i had to pay a £600 reservation fee.

To be fair, if they will not release me from the contract, i will just wait them out, there is a paragraph in the contract that says i can cancel if the car is 30 days or more delayed, and i get the very distinct feeling that they know they are not going to be able to deliver on time.

Alternatively, if there is still a shortage, i can probably just sell it on, for what i am going to pay...Someone will be able to jump ahead of the queue and snag my MG, i might even be able to get a few extra quid for it, if there is still a shortage.

Worst case, the £600 reservation fee is lost.

Read your contract with the dealer. With Howards in Taunton, if they fail to deliver within 4 weeks of the predicted delivery then I can give 14 days written notice to cancel. If they fail to deliver in the 14days I get my deposit back. Was looking to find a car in stock so I could cancel, but delivery is now 02mar23, so am waiting.
Yeah, if they are not going to release me from the contract, i will just wait them out, i asked them if they could atleast tell me if they were ahead or behind with deliveries, regarding if they would be able to deliver at the agreed date.

They were very vague and would say nothing so i feel there is a high likelyhood of them, knowing they are behind on deliveries.

Another option is, if there is still a shortage in August, if they deliver, i can probably sell it on for atleast what i paid for it, some lucky person will be able to jump the line.

I think i am going to write them and ask, what my options are, if i decide i do not want to wait any longer, and just jump on a Model Y.

Taunton is a long way from Denmark…
The Danish contract says the same.

If they fail to deliver 30 days after the stated date, i can cancel the contract.
If they are behind and know this, i would imagine they would be interested in me cancelling now, to ease the problem, instead of having me wait, and take delivery together with the person i sold it on to.

Someone would be able to jump the line, while they would have one more potential cancellation from someone fed up with waiting, because "my" car was sold to someone not on the waiting list.

M3 starts at £43k MY £45k
this is what I went off to find... the Teslas is nearly £10k more than the MG... hardly in the same cost bracket are they...

this is what I went off to find... the Teslas is nearly £10k more than the MG... hardly in the same cost bracket are they...
True, the new price of a Tesla is a lot more than that of a MG4, but they are very different cars. The fit and finish, software, cameras, sound system and supercharger network make living with a Tesla a completely different experience. There are now lots of used model 3s on the market, and a nice one can be had for a similar price to a new Trophy, so for some people I think this is a viable alternative.

I actually took a model 3 and a model Y for a test drive yesterday. They both performed and drove really well. I found the 3 a bit low and had to contort myself a bit to get in and out, the space in the back was less than I hoped for and the boot was not as useful as a hatchback for my purposes. For someone a bit smaller or more flexible this might not have been a problem.

For our family the model Y would be a much better fit and well worth the £2k premium over the 3. Much easier to get in and out of, lots more space, large boot with hatchback, but not yet any used bargains to be had.

You pays your money .....

True, the new price of a Tesla is a lot more than that of a MG4, but they are very different cars. The fit and finish, software, cameras, sound system and supercharger network make living with a Tesla a completely different experience. There are now lots of used model 3s on the market, and a nice one can be had for a similar price to a new Trophy, so for some people I think this is a viable alternative.

I actually took a model 3 and a model Y for a test drive yesterday. They both performed and drove really well. I found the 3 a bit low and had to contort myself a bit to get in and out, the space in the back was less than I hoped for and the boot was not as useful as a hatchback for my purposes. For someone a bit smaller or more flexible this might not have been a problem.

For our family the model Y would be a much better fit and well worth the £2k premium over the 3. Much easier to get in and out of, lots more space, large boot with hatchback, but not yet any used bargains to be had.

You pays your money .....
completely agree here, I am always on the lookout for a decent used deal on a long range model 3

completely agree here, I am always on the lookout for a decent used deal on a long range model 3
1674385047031.png

Prices are in freefall at the moment. I expect they will plateau out at £35-40k for a good low mileage example in a few months. The SR which is more than adequate for most people will be around £5k less.

Go for a pre-2021 facelift model and they will be cheaper still.

Immediate availability: I got lucky and found the exact configuration in inventory, so delivery by the early next week
I've had the Tesla for about a month now. And I don't regret the decision. Granted, my budget had to be stretched considerably(25%).

I gave this a fair amount of thought, too; a €2k premium is absolutely justified for the Y, and I would have also gone ahead with a Y instead of the 3. However, in the Netherlands Y doesn't qualify for the subsidy, so for the standard range versions, the price delta is actually 5k, and since I was already stretching my budget, it didn't seem justified to me to spend that delta. Moreover, for our family of two, the 3 is absolutely abundant.

There are a few advantages of 3 over Y:
1. Longer range
2. Better handling and driving dynamics.
3. Narrower (can be both a good and bad thing depending on who you ask)
4. Better looks(also subjective).

Y, however, has a lot more advantages over 3:
1. Space -Cargo - this is a significant improvement
2. Rear seat space
3. Hatchback - This is super handy for car camping and loading furniture.
4. Newer platform with single die-cast, making it lighter and safer.
5. Single glass roof vs split with a centre beam.

What I don't get, however, is the availability thing. How in the world is everyone willing to wait for 10-12 months for an MG when other brands have virtually no waiting?

If it's a demand-supply issue, we should see used MG values holding much better than new ones, the same that happened in early 2022.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Just to tie this thread up.

I ended up ordering a Tesla Model Y Long Range 3 weeks ago, they just changed the delivery date from "February - March" to "march 23 to March 31".

As for the deposit, i wrote MG and asked what my options were.

I listed the options as i saw them.

1. They would return my deposit, and i would "step out of the queue"
2. I would wait until we got closer to delivery and see if i could find someone that would "take over" the car. (Buy it at the price i was going to pay)
3. I could find someone to take my place in the queue, and they would transfer it over to that person.
4. I wait them out, and if they were not able to deliver within 30 days of the date in the contract, i would be able to cancel there.

Surprisingly they wrote back that they had discussed it and were going to give me the full deposit back.

In my opinion, that is probably the same as admitting that they would not be able to deliver within 30 days after the date in the contract, so they released me from the contract, now, rather than later.

So i am no longer in the line of people waiting for a MG ZS EV, but have stepped into the waiting line for a Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Just to tie this thread up.

I ended up ordering a Tesla Model Y Long Range 3 weeks ago, they just changed the delivery date from "February - March" to "march 23 to March 31".

As for the deposit, i wrote MG and asked what my options were.

I listed the options as i saw them.

1. They would return my deposit, and i would "step out of the queue"
2. I would wait until we got closer to delivery and see if i could find someone that would "take over" the car. (Buy it at the price i was going to pay)
3. I could find someone to take my place in the queue, and they would transfer it over to that person.
4. I wait them out, and if they were not able to deliver within 30 days of the date in the contract, i would be able to cancel there.

Surprisingly they wrote back that they had discussed it and were going to give me the full deposit back.

In my opinion, that is probably the same as admitting that they would not be able to deliver within 30 days after the date in the contract, so they released me from the contract, now, rather than later.

So i am no longer in the line of people waiting for a MG ZS EV, but have stepped into the waiting line for a Tesla Model Y Long Range.
I pick up my Model 3 tomorrow.

As far as I am concerned, the ZS is a flacid cookie in desperate need of a blue pill. My Gen 2 has so many issues, including safety, it should not be on the road. So much so, I’ve given up on it after 3 weeks. Clearly the dealer doesn’t know what to do with it as they’ve had it for a third of the time I’ve owned it and have gone radio silent. Which seems to be the MG MO

HMADSEN, I think you’ve made the right choice, even if there is a wait.

I pick up my Model 3 tomorrow.

As far as I am concerned, the ZS is a flacid cookie in desperate need of a blue pill. My Gen 2 has so many issues, including safety, it should not be on the road. So much so, I’ve given up on it after 3 weeks. Clearly the dealer doesn’t know what to do with it as they’ve had it for a third of the time I’ve owned it and have gone radio silent. Which seems to be the MG MO

HMADSEN, I think you’ve made the right choice, even if there is a wait.

To be fair i still have a soft spot for the MG ZS EV, i found it to be a good car to drive, and after keeping my wife and 2 kids safe when some bozo smashed into it, totalling it, i can not fault the safety.

I know a car is stronger in the front than in the back and i know American made muscle cars have a tendency to be "less than safe" but i must say that the damage to the front of our ZS EV was minimal compared to the damage to the backend of the other guys Ford Mustang.

I have heard horror stories about people that has had smaller issues with their car, needing replacement parts, and the dealer had a REALLY hard time sourcing spare parts, because they use all of the "spares" to put into new cars.

To be honest, the biggest problem i have with MG right now is delivery time, it is unacceptable to have waiting times of more than a year, and then, instead of making more capacity to produce cars in demand, they start a new production line for a different model.

I know Tesla has been hit on, for their poor assembly quality and rightly so, but i bet when i get the Tesla i will have a car that is a lot more refined, when it comes to everything besides the assembly quality.

I can not really complain about the lack of regenerative braking with ACC, and the missing heatpump on the ZS EV, because i knew about those omissions before i bought the car, but i still feel that those are some of the small stuff that they should really have added. Now we see some "random dude" is able to reprogram the computers to make regenerative braking on ACC, and "one pedal driving" available, so why did MG not do this.

From what i have been told, the only difference between "aircon cooling" and heating, is more or less one solenoid to reverse the flow in the climate control. Why did they not include it, if it really is that low of a extra cost. (I bet anyone would have paid more than it cost, to have this feature included)

Other small things like "Only drivers side front window has anti pinch", i mean, comeone, that HAS to be peanuts they saved there.

They did some really strange corner cutting, omitting rather useful features, for the sake of saving, what i think would probably be a lot less, than what they could have charged people extra, if the car had, had these features.

But still...I would have loved to still have had my ZS EV, we are only here, because Mr "Senior citizen" was unable to control his vehicle.

Last we heard from the police, they had cleared my wife of all liability for the accident, and had sent the case to the prosecutor and was only waiting for the court to set a court date, for him to appear.

The police said that the prosecutor would ask the court to force him to retake his license.

This means he can continue to drive, but within 6 months he has to pass a medical test, a written test and a driving test.

He will also be fined for driving without due care and attention, but the real "fine" will be him having to pay for a medical test, and to be able to retake the license, he will have to attend some mandatory lessons at a driving instructor.

So all in all, he is looking at somewhere between £1500-£2500

On top of that there is probably also own risk payment on his insurance, and his premium will also go up.

Not to mention that the tests are not easy to pass for someone pushing 70 years old.

But to be honest, i dont even care about the money, i just want a doctor to say he is still fit to be on the road, i could have my doubts if he is fit, if he can do what he did.

I expect in the near future to send the video to "Wham bam dashcam" on Youtube, so you all, can see what really happened :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom