Problem getting my new MG5 registered

CuriousIslander

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have bought a new MG5 and was due to pick it up last Monday. However, the dealer couldn't register it. There appears to be a computer glitch somewhere in the MG/DVLA system which is preventing registration. Does anybody know if other dealers are having the same problem....??? This is very frustrating, but at least I have been loaned firstly a ZS and from later today a MG5 until the situation is resolved.

I know currently the DVLA is struggling with a substantial backlog (for example ‘The service is appalling’: drivers face holdups as DVLA fails to send licences | DVLA | The Guardian) but registration should be a very quick and automated process - at least it was when I picked my car up as the dealer did it there and then for me on the computer. Didn't appear to be using anything to do with MG, only the DVLA site.

Saying all that, I'm afraid I don't know for certain if they are having any technical problems at the moment. Maybe give the DVLA a call, by the time someone answers the phone I'd imagine the car will be sat on your driveway....

With 3 weeks before the 71 reg comes out and the sudden flurry of sales as some lock down restrictions were lifted, I would think the DVLA are pretty busy ATM.

I have bought a new MG5 and was due to pick it up last Monday. However, the dealer couldn't register it. There appears to be a computer glitch somewhere in the MG/DVLA system which is preventing registration. Does anybody know if other dealers are having the same problem....??? This is very frustrating, but at least I have been loaned firstly a ZS and from later today a MG5 until the situation is resolved.
The salesman arrived at my home at 3.30 with my new car! Just as he was leaving the dealership in their 5 demonstrator (to swap with the ZS demonstrator that I have had for the past 3 days) he was called back to be told that at last the registration had gone through.
So now I can get to play with my new toy.
Happy Days.

Coincidentally I've received my log book today. 4 weeks and 5 days after buying it.

Is that good or bad for the dvla?
I'd bet with school holidays upon us they have lots of staff on holiday looking after their kids, also the new reg coming up will have them under extra pressure.

Miss your road tax payment by a day and you'll get pulled over and the car taken away :ROFLMAO:

Coincidentally I've received my log book today. 4 weeks and 5 days after buying it.

I'd bet with school holidays upon us they have lots of staff on holiday looking after their kids, also the new reg coming up will have them under extra pressure.

Miss your road tax payment by a day and you'll get pulled over and the car taken away :ROFLMAO:
I've changed 2 cars in the last month, both tax refund and log books all through within 5 days, was very surprised.

I'm sure most of the work is done by computers so staff holidays won't have a great effect. Even inputting details from one V5 to another will be automated to a certain extent.

Dave

Today (Monday August 9) I have received my registration document/log book from Swansea. Not bad since it was only last Thursday (August 5) that the car (MG5) was registered and delivered to me.
Totally pleased so far, long may it continue

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom