Problem unlocking charging cable from car

dsimpkins

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Had my first problem today. Went to ASDA and used one of their free charging points (BP Pulse) When I came out, I unlocked the car as usual to stop it charging. Tried to remove the cable from the car. It was still locked. Checked on the BP Pulse app and the car was still charging, so stopped it charging in the app. Still locked to car, but disconnected from charger.
Tried the unlock on the infortainment, still locked.
Tried relocking and unlocking car, no joy.
Tried switching car off and on, no luck.
Tried rebooting the infortainment, no joy.
Tried reconnecting to the charger, and started charging again, then stopped it charging from the app again, still no joy.

Finally dug out the phone, searched the Internet and found out how to access the manual charging port release using the cable hidden behind a panel in the boot. Finally cable disconnected. Also thank you to the friendly and helpful Tesla driver that arrived while I was trying to disconnnect the cable.

Thank you Google and this forum (where the answer came from)

Had my first problem today. Went to ASDA and used one of their free charging points (BP Pulse) When I came out, I unlocked the car as usual to stop it charging. Tried to remove the cable from the car. It was still locked. Checked on the BP Pulse app and the car was still charging, so stopped it charging in the app. Still locked to car, but disconnected from charger.
Tried the unlock on the infortainment, still locked.
Tried relocking and unlocking car, no joy.
Tried switching car off and on, no luck.
Tried rebooting the infortainment, no joy.
Tried reconnecting to the charger, and started charging again, then stopped it charging from the app again, still no joy.

Finally dug out the phone, searched the Internet and found out how to access the manual charging port release using the cable hidden behind a panel in the boot. Finally cable disconnected. Also thank you to the friendly and helpful Tesla driver that arrived while I was trying to disconnnect the cable.

Thank you Google and this forum (where the answer came from)
I had similar trouble on an Asda 7W charger a year or so back, except it was the charger that wouldn't let go of my cable. I ended up phoning their helpline and only after they rebooted the charger twice could I remove my cable. Upside was that I didn't get charged any money!

I had similar trouble on an Asda 7W charger a year or so back, except it was the charger that wouldn't let go of my cable. I ended up phoning their helpline and only after they rebooted the charger twice could I remove my cable. Upside was that I didn't get charged any money!
I thought the chargers at ASDA were free. The one I used yesterday was.

Lock and unlock your car 3-4 times.
I assume you mean in a row? I think I must haved locked/unlocked about that many times, but tried other things inbetween.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back