Problem with intermittent power reduction

Euan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi there,
We have had our MG4 SE SR for over a year now and love it. Unfortunately we have experienced a problem since its first annual service last December (this included a software update). The car runs fine on short journeys but on longer journeys it occasionally reduces power for a few minutes, limiting the speed to less than 30mph and preventing any acceleration. It then recovers and drives normally. The dealer tested the car and initially could find no problem but eventually decided to replace a power controller. We got the car back in Jan and it ran fine until this weekend when the problem recurred. The car is now back with the dealer. Each time the problem has occurred the battery was more than 50% charged.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution? Thanks for any help you can give

Interesting to see this is another early SE SR. After all the updates I had, I'm still leaning toward a hardware (battery?) issue.

Mine is going back, on Tuesday, for the 4th time to try to resolve this. Different dealer this time and 6 months on

So slight update with my issue.

This is the analysos from the mechanic.
  • Vehicle came in as it was not going over 50mph with a lack of power.
  • Identified fault code U110E (Lost communication with BMs – ESSPTC)
  • Information was sent over to MG technical which advised (Disconnect the 12V battery remove MSD reconnect the 12V then reprogram the BMS and the IMCU, once programmed replace the MSD)
  • This was carried out which rectified the issue, vehicle was then test driven by the technician and a service driver both advised there was no lack of power and the vehicle reached legal speed limit without any issues.
  • Vehicle was taken onto a bypass to reach speeds over 50mph
The car had been in a week before and had BMS, and other modules updated.
I asked why they thought the error happened - they didn't know, which means it could happen again.
I'm in the process of rejecting the car- I can't comfortably drive it again knowing this could happen again- I regularly drive on the motorway and this car is neither safe or reliable for travel on those roads.

This is useful info, more evidence that it is loss of communication between car modules that triggers this mode.

If it was a software problem causing it or a problem with the MSD, then this could be the fix.

However, I completely understand why you want to reject.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back