Problem with MG ZS EV Smartkey Detection;

MichaelJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Today my wife gave me a phone call - she said the ZS won't start up, Display sayin' "Smart Key not detected". Her Key was inside the car. Furthermore, she reported that she was able to lock/unlock the ZS per remote, but the (un-)lock button on the Door handle did not react.

I remembered, that in the morning i started up the car with my key to preheat and de-ice it for her, she then took her key and drove away.

Could the use of the 2 different keys "confused" the car?

Finally after another 20 minutes... the ZS suddenly accepted my wife's key & she was able do drive home. We're a little unsure now if the car (or a key) has fault and it could happen again that one of us is away from home with the MG and not able to start it up...!

Any comments welcome! Best regards from Austria,

Mike

It should start up with either key once it's switched off.
If the key isn't recognised, for any reason (poor signal due to interference etc.), you could try putting it in the cup holder (rearmost one) with the buttons facing upwards, as this is the alternative starting position for the key.

That's what i suspected first.... BUT:

• Car & Key's not even 1 year old
  • according to the Manual, the battery condition of the SmartKey is monitored and a message should be displayed in case of low battery: "Remote Key Low Battery, Please replace"

I'll get spare batteries nevertheless just to have them, but i'm unsure if this can be the reason for the current behavior of the car.

MG warrant the fob battery for 1 year but it's hardly worth taking the car back for that!
I'd just replace them and monitor the situation.

The keys are coded in pair’s at the factory or can be done by the dealer.
So, either key should work really ?.
As long as the battery in the fob’s are both good.
My car is almost 2 years old now and I have used the same key 🔑 TBH.

It should start up with either key once it's switched off.
If the key isn't recognised, for any reason (poor signal due to interference etc.), you could try putting it in the cup holder (rearmost one) with the buttons facing upwards, as this is the alternative starting position for the key.
Kithmo, your head is stacked full of all kinds of MG info - you didn't by any chance compile the handbook !! :) (all helpful I may add)

Kithmo, your head is stacked full of all kinds of MG info - you didn't by any chance compile the handbook !! :) (all helpful I may add)
:) No, but I have a tendency to recall many little snippets of info, then go to my downloaded copy of the manual to confirm or check if I recalled it correctly. 😉
Funny thing is though, being retired and every day being much the same, I sometimes have to check my phone to see what day it is. :D

:) No, but I have a tendency to recall many little snippets of info, then go to my downloaded copy of the manual to confirm or check if I recalled it correctly. 😉
Funny thing is though, being retired and every day being much the same, I sometimes have to check my phone to see what day it is. :D
And living in The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire helps a little

As a matter of interest, I admin on another car forum where the car it was devised for is now 16 years old.
I still encounter owners who haven't read the handbook!

Today my wife gave me a phone call - she said the ZS won't start up, Display sayin' "Smart Key not detected". Her Key was inside the car. Furthermore, she reported that she was able to lock/unlock the ZS per remote, but the (un-)lock button on the Door handle did not react.

I remembered, that in the morning i started up the car with my key to preheat and de-ice it for her, she then took her key and drove away.

Could the use of the 2 different keys "confused" the car?

Finally after another 20 minutes... the ZS suddenly accepted my wife's key & she was able do drive home. We're a little unsure now if the car (or a key) has fault and it could happen again that one of us is away from home with the MG and not able to start it up...!

Any comments welcome! Best regards from Austria,

Mike
Wouldn't of thought its the battery's on a car less then a year old. I've had them last 3 to 4 years.

I had one fail on a car that was 3 days old. It can happen

I think the car's key system got confused.
It happened to my car when it was in a bodyshop after an accident. The garage left the key in the car for about a week and after that time the car would not work with that key, although it was still possible to lock and unlock the car, it just would not fire up to the "ready" state. Putting the key in the cupholder made no difference.
I had to go to the garage with the other key which worked OK and everything returned to normal.

My previous VW Golf PHEV had the factory optional keyless enter system.
When you entered the car and placed the key in the centre consul, you could see a very small red LED light pulsing a signal to the cars security system about every 19 seconds.
For this reason, the car fob battery would only last a maximum of 12 months.
But on average about 7 to 8 months.
This is the norm with that type of keyless entry system on VAG cars.
Normal central locking key fob batteries would last three years or more !.

It happened to my car when it was in a bodyshop after an accident. The garage left the key in the car for about a week and after that time the car would not work with that key, although it was still possible to lock and unlock the car, it just would not fire up to the "ready" state. Putting the key in the cupholder made no difference.
I had to go to the garage with the other key which worked OK and everything returned to normal.
My car has just been in with the dealer for 19 days and to their credit, they were very particular about how this was handled. The key was always stored remote from the car and the 12V battery was disconnected for good measure.

Just for information, me and my wife both use our car about 50/50 we both normally carry our key, so it's probably been run, opened, closed, in every way possible. We have never had any issues in 22 months.

this is in the '5 manual. May apply to the ZS too:
Inadvertent Locking of Keys in Vehicle
If the vehicle is locked using the mechanical key blade or
handset whilst a smart key/s remain inside, the following
actions will occur:
• One smart key locked in the vehicle - The
immobilisation release function of the smart key locked
in the vehicle is suspended, the lock and unlock function
of the smart key is retained. The vehicle will not change
power state. To reinstate the immobiliser release
function of the smart key locked in the vehicle the
second smart key should be used to unlock the vehicle.
The function will automatically be reinstated.

Also, make sure she didn;t have her key and her phone in the same pocket / next to each other in the handbag. The phone (or something else) could be blocking the signal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom