• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Procedure to reset binded car from unknown user

Aussi55

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all.

I recently purchased an ex demo ZS SR. When I tried to bind my phone I got a message indicating that the car was already bound.

Initially the dealership thought it was one of their phones but now that looks not to be the case, good chance someone did this on a test drive.

I've left it with them to resolve and also contacted customer services, who directed me back to the dealer.

Is there an established process to reset in these circumstances? I don't need to know the detail, just who should fix and if there is a reference number for a service bulletin.

This situation is bound to happen so I'm sure it would be useful for others.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks, I didn't purchase from CG so feel it would be unfair to ask Miles.

Seems a bit odd that if I can prove it's my car, MG won't reset or at least suspend the binding.

I currently have a car that in theory someone else can locate and access.

He's a nice chap I am sure if you send a direct message you could at least give you a idea how you get it done with your dealer? I do worry there is not a official process for this?

Thanks, I didn't purchase from CG so feel it would be unfair to ask Miles.

Seems a bit odd that if I can prove it's my car, MG won't reset or at least suspend the binding.

I currently have a car that in theory someone else can locate and access.
Try asking on the Podcast tonight, bit of luck Miles will be on or one of the others may have some advice.

Hi I had the same problem, I purchased the demo from jct 600 and they had no clue at all how to fix it , and as you say who ever binded the car can find it and unlock it ! i think the dealers should see the problem as the security Risk it is , glad the insurance people didn’t know ! Please just send Miles a message he is a great person to deal with and will sort you out as he did me

Email received from @Aussi55
I've requested the vehicle unbinding with MG HQ.
You have not heard of anyone (Other than me) where the app stopped working.

The app can communicate with the car, i can make a trip on the app, and send it to the car, and it will be in the GPS, but i can not control HVAC, see lock status, lock/unlock, get GPS position on the car or see battery SOT. Car shows 4G connection and it can go only to see that there is no OTA updates.

Stopped working 12 days ago, but prior to that it worked...Especially after the May 5 update, it was relatively decent in connection times as well.

You have not heard of anyone (Other than me) where the app stopped working.

The app can communicate with the car, i can make a trip on the app, and send it to the car, and it will be in the GPS, but i can not control HVAC, see lock status, lock/unlock, get GPS position on the car or see battery SOT. Car shows 4G connection and it can go only to see that there is no OTA updates.

Stopped working 12 days ago, but prior to that it worked...Especially after the May 5 update, it was relatively decent in connection times as well.
My app on the zs ev stop working about 8 days ago I can’t get any thing to work eg gps the app work fine after update

My app on the zs ev stop working about 8 days ago I can’t get any thing to work eg gps the app work fine after update
If you did not try it, disconnect the battery terminal from the 12V battery for 10 minutes, reattach and check if it worked.

Hi Miles,
l am a newby here so please forgive me as quite a novice when it comes to anything to do with my new ZSEV and being on a forum is new too but from reading other peoples comments you are the man who can 🤗 help and l am desperate. I bought my ZSEV last week, with no information how to get iSMART up and running so stupidly registered with my iPad and l got iSMART working on the car and thought this is great then realised it was not on my phone which ofcourse l should have done in the beginning. Firstly l,was told when l tried with my phone it was incompatible but l kept trying and eventually was told the car was already bound. I didn’t know what to do so thought just delete the app and try again…re register and l think that was the wrong thing to do as l then lost the information on my car. Then l thought looking through the app l could unbind , ofcourse that did not work as l could not find an unbind option on the MG iSMART app. l Have also changed the password several times… bad news really and l feel l have really messed up and confused the app totally as well as myself. So basically Miles can you help unbind the app as while it was running it was great, gave lots of information and very helpful for me as a novice. I have a Samsung phone but l have ordered an iPhone so that will marry up with my iPad but can’t get it for about 4 weeks from Sky so also worried what happens when one changes one’s phone do you have to re register. As you can see l really should not have started this in the beginning, but as l have l need to get this app up and running….is there any hope ???? l actually drove 50 miles back to the dealership HendyMG in Bournemouth, an engineer could not unbind the app, l have sent emails to a chap called Gary Smart at MG but he just says whoever bound the car has to unbind it. And really they can’t help.Would really appreciate hearing from you and truly hope you can help. Cathy

Hi Miles,
l am a newby here so please forgive me as quite a novice when it comes to anything to do with my new ZSEV and being on a forum is new too but from reading other peoples comments you are the man who can 🤗 help and l am desperate. I bought my ZSEV last week, with no information how to get iSMART up and running so stupidly registered with my iPad and l got iSMART working on the car and thought this is great then realised it was not on my phone which ofcourse l should have done in the beginning. Firstly l,was told when l tried with my phone it was incompatible but l kept trying and eventually was told the car was already bound. I didn’t know what to do so thought just delete the app and try again…re register and l think that was the wrong thing to do as l then lost the information on my car. Then l thought looking through the app l could unbind , ofcourse that did not work as l could not find an unbind option on the MG iSMART app. l Have also changed the password several times… bad news really and l feel l have really messed up and confused the app totally as well as myself. So basically Miles can you help unbind the app as while it was running it was great, gave lots of information and very helpful for me as a novice. I have a Samsung phone but l have ordered an iPhone so that will marry up with my iPad but can’t get it for about 4 weeks from Sky so also worried what happens when one changes one’s phone do you have to re register. As you can see l really should not have started this in the beginning, but as l have l need to get this app up and running….is there any hope ???? l actually drove 50 miles back to the dealership HendyMG in Bournemouth, an engineer could not unbind the app, l have sent emails to a chap called Gary Smart at MG but he just says whoever bound the car has to unbind it. And really they can’t help.Would really appreciate hearing from you and truly hope you can help. Cathy
You don't need to unbind the car just to change phone/device.

The car is bound to the account (email or mobile number, depending which you set up the account with), not the device which you installed the app on.

So if you have the account on a phone, you should just log in and it would automatically copy across the binding from the tablet. You don't need to do the binding process again.

Good morning Miles,

I bought an ex-demo and have the same binding issue.

May I have your assistance to unbind my MG ZS EV ?
Have you tried MG directly in the meanwhile? Did you get any response if so?

Good day @Miles Roberts CG

I hope you are well. I am John... I just would like to ask for help as I am very desperate and getting frustrated. I am also getting problems with binding my car and saw you've been a great help with this matter

I purchased a used ZS EV last week and got it Thursday. Everything is okay aside from binding the car to my MG iSmart App. I have contacted customer service and told me to get back to the dealer. The dealer needs to contact the previous owner to unbind the car, which they told me they have done already. But still, I can't bind my phone. I have been trying for few days now already.

I called customer service again and ask me to send an email an to [email protected] but still, I got no response.

Here are my details:
Name: John Timothy Bautista
Model: MG ZS EV
Color White

Hopefully you can help me please. I know it is unfair to ask you about this as I did not purchase the car through you but I am really getting desperate.

I am looking forward to your positive response regarding the matter. Please help me.

Thank you and God bless.

Kindest regards,
John

This is just silly now all dealers should know how to do this by now especially when selling second-hand not only is it annoying it is a security risk they will know where the car is can unlock and drive with just there phone
And now doubt insurance companies will not pay out its like giving someone your keys

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom