Professional undersealing company with EV experience

EV convert

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I'm considering having my MG4 undersealed and would like to find a underseal company with experience in working on electric vehicles as I feel there are probably additional considerations when spraying underneath an EV.

Any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you

Not sure I'd advise undersealing the MG4. You'd have to remove all the plastic undertrays and then risk getting the electrics covered in sealant. I'm not sure it's even necessary nowadays with the anti-corrosion treatments the bodywork gets.

Thank you for your response.

In theory you should be correct about the anti-corrosion treatment but you will also see others have also raised concern about the apparent lack of underbody protection and once rust starts it is very hard to stop. The time to act is before it starts.

In addition, I was at the London EV show the other day and talking to a guy on one of the stands (not a manufacturer) who told me he was ex MG. and I mentioned I had an MG4 on order. He was enthusiastic about the vehicle and after chatting for a minute or so he asked: "are you planning on keeping it for some time?" I said yes and he replied: "get it undersealed." He especially indicated the rear part of the front wheel arch where it meets the sill.

Obviously, he no longer worked for MG and it may be that any such problems there may have been are addressed in this new generation of vehicles.

As I understand it the underbody trays are designed to be removed so that isn't a problem. However, while the most underbody treatment people do a good job with IC powered cars etc, there are added complications in electric vehicles - especially as the process usually starts with a underbody jet wash.

This is why I am seeking a company/somebody with experience of undersealing EVs.

To be honest I wouldn't be overly concerned about the parts of the underbody well protected by the undertrays / battery.
The sills are totally exposed and I think will suffer in the UK climate. The front subframe is also terribly exposed , not galvanized and thinly painted.
It gets covered in everything the front tyres blast inwards, as do all the under bonnet components.

Not sure who would do a proper job in your neck of the woods but as a general bit of advice from years of experience, make sure anything that gets applied is waxy / non hardening.
Any bitumen type coatings are a complete no no IMO.

Macadoodle, thank you for your insight. I haven't had a chance to look over the car thoroughly neither do I don't have access to a ramp so it is good to be able to have some knowledge when contacting the undercoating companies. I have been emailing the Waxoyl network people and have asked if any of them have experience with EVs and am awaiting a response.

Hallix73 - why not keep it for 20 years? My previous car was 20 years old and last year I drove it to the Dollomites complete with a trailer carrying two motorbikes - which it hauled over the Stelvio pass. The MG has 90% fewer moving parts in the drivetrain and to quote MG the battery design 'allows integration with future technologies, including battery swap systems'. The limiting factor will probably be rust.

Thanks again for all your input.

Take a look under the car. Its mostly one big plastic sheet. Also suspect the wheel arches have plastic liners.

Modern cars are also zinc coated.

If you had a mk4 cortina or my 32 yo mx5 then yes that time, underseal was all you had.

I suspect electrical issues and a degraded battery / range will be a life limiter way before any corrosion killer MOT failure.

Consider your warranty. Will MG void it if you have covered the car in gunge underneath where all the important bits are?

Plus undersealing what’s essentially 80% plus plastic isn’t necessary.

But it sounds like you are already set on it

Are you planning on keeping for 20 Years? Cant see any benefit unless you plan to keep a very long time.
Up here, one highland winter can have the underside of a car looking pretty sorry for itself.
I think I'm already seeing some surface rust forming on the sill spot welds on my car, it's been on the roads less than a month. Doesn't bode well.

I'm considering having my MG4 undersealed and would like to find a underseal company with experience in working on electric vehicles as I feel there are probably additional considerations when spraying underneath an EV.

Thank you
I have no connection to this company, nor have I used the product but it may be worth a try.
If you were unable to apply it yourself I am sure you could find a local independent garage or tradesman who could apply the product for you.
Hope this helps. Iain

As for the longevity of the rest of the car making it worth the bother ? difficult to say.
Our first EV, a 2014 ex- taxi Nissan Leaf now with 125k sits in the yard sulking and unloved.
It still functions perfectly in every way, starts up immediately despite having been SORN for nearly 2 years ! ( any bids welcome if you fancy a project as I need the space ☺️ )
In theory you have cover for 7yrs / 100k with the MG, we'll see how that pans out in reality of course:unsure:
Beyond 7 years and into EV bangerdom ( sparkerdom?) there's going to be businesses springing up to cater for the needs of older EV's I would think, clever minds will figure out how to repair rather than replace components, and the internet is a wonderful resource for the home tinkerer.

I'll probably always keep my old Diesel estate just in case though.:)

I have no connection to this company, nor have I used the product but it may be worth a try.
If you were unable to apply it yourself I am sure you could find a local independent garage or tradesman who could apply the product for you.
Hope this helps. Iain
Yep, the old 'sheep grease' based products seem to perform pretty well by all accounts, as they're not petroleum based you can spray with gay abandon, just mind the brake discs.
I think it tends to need a top up more than thicker products like waxoyl but it is environment friendly.

I decided to cover what I considered the ‘critical’ exposed parts on my ZS. I used ramps and waxoyle spray cans. I think it covered them pretty well. I then sold the car 3 months later!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

Macadoodle - it's exactly the spot welds etc that concerns me as unless the body is galvanized after it is welded, then every bit of hot work means a breach in the corrosion protection. (BTW the MG4 is replacing my 20 yr old diesel estate.)

I asked the dealer if undersealing the car would breach the warranty and he said 'no' albeit I take stevegus' point about throwing underseal around everywhere regardless, which is what prompted me to ask if anybody knew of a company experienced in undersealing EVs. Will try to make some phone calls tomorrow.

Apparently the latest battery technology should see batteries lasting 10 years or more and I have no doubt that companies will emerge to recondition EV batteries just as they do/did for engines and gearboxes. And the MG4 is apparently the fist model on a new 'Modular Scalable Platform' and is designed with 'swap systems' in mind.

Iain: thanks for the link and cocijo: that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Would welcome any further thoughts/suggestions.

it's exactly the spot welds etc that concerns me as unless the body is galvanized after it is welded, then every bit of hot work means a breach in the corrosion protection.
Aye, therein lies the problem. The zinc is damaged at the weld point and its only the coatings that protect thereafter .
The sills on my 4 are factory coated with a light oil internally though, so at least that's a plus. ( remove the rubber bung on the sills underside and stick yer finger in there (y) ;) )
First dry weekend I'm going to blast some waxoyl over the sills and subframes at least.

Even if you don't hang on to the car forever, its a good thing to do for the next owner and probably takes no more than an hour to complete .
It's nice to be nice :giggle:

Thank you
I used to weld cars up years ago, would not recommend under seal, but was oil is good if done property, never see rust where oil is

Hi,
I have used Martin at protectorust, he has done several cars for me all EV.

He does an excellent job, very thorough plus he has considerable experience, and the tools to do it.

Whether to get it done or not is personal preference.

His view on the MG ZS EV is the chassis is not completely protected, bits have been missed that are likely to rust. The cavities seem to have wax inside. The bolted on parts such as suspension are only thinly painted and will rust fairly quickly. This is more cosmetic than functional.

All of this is fairly normal for cars these days.

I’ve coated the bottom on my pre face lift mg5 LR in lanoguard easy job it took me less than 2 hours I took all the wheels off and got into all the spaces that are exposed to water,salt etc use caution when spraying close to the discs other than that it’s electric safe. Now everything is like a ducks back

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all the comments.

charlie bravo - many years ago when I worked Saturdays in a local garage (at the height of the rust bucket era) we did spray oil on the underside of vehicles but a year later when they came back, the combination of wind, water and heat had removed it from some of the more vulnerable areas.

Aussi55 - will get in contact with Protectorust.

FirstMGEV - I haven't the equipment or the knowledge to do this job myself and so am looking to a professional service.

Thanks again everyone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel