• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-130901_ZS EV.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-130901_ZS EV.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 238
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Bluetooth OBD2 device can be used to send commands to the ECU (car computer) but not with the App we are using except to switch Daytime lights on and off. It would be possible with other apps and software. They would need to be specific commands that are for MGs which I doubt many people would know them... would take research like the OVMS team have been doing for months.... Despite all this time we still can't send a command to preheat the car.

There is also a risk that someone else could connect to the OBD2 device... I.e. hack it as the Bluetooth passwords are very universal. A device that can only be paired with a physical button press ( which I don't have) would be safer (but even that can be spoofed in theory). Also any hacker would have to be within 10metre range and less if behind walls. ( Our keyless remotes are a bigger security risk )

However the moment of opportunity to pair is short and restricted. Either the system has to be "ready" or on while charging. After alarm is activated there is a 30-60second opportunity to connect. But sending commands like switching DRL off triggers the alarm. But can read data without triggering alarm... After a short while (?? Exact duration) after setting alarm car goes into deeper sleep and unable to connect to the OBD2.
unsure about when car is on charge though..not tested enough.

The device can always be removed from the port and then no risks from being hacked.

Device is very simple to use plug in, Bluetooth pair (just like any Bluetooth device)
Run the app on Android mobile
Connect to the device in app.
That's it.

If It's not working that the device is not compatible. Need to get a different one

Last edited:
The Bluetooth OBD2 device can be used to send commands to the ECU (car computer) but not with the App we are using except to switch Daytime lights on and off. It would be possible with other apps and software. They would need to be specific commands that are for MGs which I doubt many people would know them... would take research like the OVMS team have been doing for months.... Despite all this time we still can't send a command to preheat the car.

There is also a risk that someone else could connect to the OBD2 device... I.e. hack it as the Bluetooth passwords are very universal. A device that can only be paired with a physical button press ( which I don't have) would be safer. Also any hacker would have to be within 10metre range and less if behind walls.

However the moment of opportunity to pair is short and restricted. Either the system has to be "ready" or on while charging. After alarm is activated there is a 30-60second opportunity to connect. But sending commands like switching DRL off triggers the alarm. But can read data without triggering alarm... After a short while (?? Exact duration) after setting alarm car goes into deeper sleep and unable to connect to the OBD2.
unsure about when car is on charge though..not tested enough.

The device can always be removed from the port and then no risks from being hacked.

Device is very simple to use plug in, Bluetooth pair (just like any Bluetooth device)
Run the app on Android mobile
Connect to the device in app.
That's it.

If It's not working that the device is not compatible. Need to get a different one
Ah so I can’t use it on IOS then anyway.

Nope.
Android only... even an old cheap £30 from Cex would work.
Well, would I be wrong in thinking that there maybe an iOS app that would work, just need to find one!? No technical reason why it can't?

I saw that there are plug ins for the torque pro, maybe I could make one... I need to look into it properly after I get my dongle.

1614375799462.png

Added @Septian car data.
Yours has a new version change not seen before - for TC.
Assuming that's Traction Control.
Any idea what you could have on your car that's different?

@Kithmo could you share your version data?

@AbuG / @shikoku14 / @Septian
Can you answer the following about your cars, to try to figure out the differences (SCU/TC/BMS/EVCC/EPS):
When were your cars registered?
Have you got Comfort 2 (already on the car or you got it updated)?
What BMS do you think you have (when did it last have a BMS update)?
Can you charge AC unlocked?
Do you think you have the updates to allow timed/smart chargers?

Thoughts:
If EPS is Electronic Power Steering, then I wonder if this could somehow be tied to the MODE button, as the steering changes dependant on the mode?
I wonder if TC is Traction Control, then if it could also somehow be tied to the MODE button??

I presume the versions of the ECUs shown don't change dependant on the mode the car is it? I can't see how this could be the case, but just in case can you try it?

cheers
Jody

For me the car was registered in September but came from Chorleys storage, so I think it was a June build car. I had comfort 2 installed (at the second attempt when I got it) and it can charge on ac when unlocked and I charge it from my Ohme cable to use Octopus Go Faster so ToU charging works perfectly. When you change mode or Kers you get the graphics in the centre screen.

View attachment 1767

Added @Septian car data.

Can you answer the following about your cars, to try to figure out the differences (SCU/TC/BMS/EVCC/EPS):

Thoughts:
If EPS is Electronic Power Steering, then I wonder if this could somehow be tied to the MODE button, as the steering changes dependant on the mode?
I wonder if TC is Traction Control, then if it could also somehow be tied to the MODE button??

I presume the versions of the ECUs shown don't change dependant on the mode the car is it? I can't see how this could be the case, but just in case can you try it?

cheers
Jody
Ok,
Car was registered Sept 2020, It already had the comfort 2 installed.
I had the BMS updated at the start of October (It's the "slightly" dodgy one that takes hours to equalise, still get 455v at full charge)
It also charges unlocked, it will also wake up for a charge, but if the charge stops for any reason (Peak charging or whatever) it will not re-awaken to carry on charging
:)
In terms of what is different for my car regarding TC, I have no idea, the dealer I originally bought the car from had no clue about updates so I took it to a MUCH better dealer and they re-applied all the updates (Except Comfort 2) at the start of October for me FOC, so maybe that's the difference. In terms of your MODE theory, I always drive in Normal.

Last edited:
I've created a new post, to maintain the spreadsheet of ecu versions.

Can keep this post more towards sorting out & discussing the obd2 app etc.

My car was pre -reg Dec 2020.
Bought 14th Jan 2021. Was up dated then according to dealer (by then the Oct update was withdrawn) Max volt 456ish.
AC Charges while unlocked. Comfort2 update present
No special graphics
View attachment 1767

Added @Septian car data.

Thoughts:

cheers
Jody

Last edited:
I had a bluetooth obd adapter which I bought a while ago when I was thinking of buying a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev which is a Vgate Icar Pro. Downloaded the app listed on this thread today plugged in the obd adapter and it worked straight away . So very pleased there is some very useful an interesting information available to view . 👍🙂

My car was pre -reg Dec 2020.
Bought 14th Jan 2021. Was up dated then according to dealer (by then the Oct update was withdrawn) Max volt 456ish.
AC Charges while unlocked. Comfort2 update present
No special graphics
You JUST missed getting the BMS fix!

I had a bluetooth obd adapter which I bought a while ago when I was thinking of buying a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev which is a Vgate Icar Pro. Downloaded the app listed on this thread today plugged in the obd adapter and it worked straight away . So very pleased there is some very useful an interesting information available to view . 👍🙂
Great.
Would you mind sharing:

View attachment 1767

Added @Septian car data.

Thoughts:

cheers
Jody

My data: (No BMS updates just Comfort 2) HV 456v fully charged.

Screenshot_20210227-161527.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-161324.png
    Screenshot_20210227-161324.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 206
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom