Question about setting up OIG

bobbarley

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I just switched to the OIG tariff and the app has updated to give me control over charging and scheduling.

If I have the Octopus app set to give an 80% charge, do I need to set it the same in the MG app? Or do I set the car to 100% and just use Octopus to manage the percentage charge now?

I'm only passing on what I have read repeatedly from others, but if you set the % charge in both the charger and the car you will probably confuse the life out of it. Pick one or the other.

It’s so confusing. Looks like the Octopus app wants to know what percentage charge to add, instead of what percentage for it to top up to?

Do you mean the Ohme app? As you can't (yet at least) use the Octopus App for charging an MG.

If it's the Ohme app use that and disable any scheduling or charge limits on the car and you're good to go.

(A slightly more complicated answer is I tend to have charging limited to 80% on the car apart from if I want to balance the battery, in which case the car won't charge over 80 regardless of what you ask the charger to do).

I mean the Octopus app. It seems to give me information on charging by syncing with the myenergi app

IMG_1571.png

I think I have it figured out now. I should probably set the Octopus app to add say 100% extra. Then use the car/MG app to control the maximum level of charge as it supersedes the charger?

So if Octopus is set to 100%, and the car to 80%, it’ll still cease charging at 80%?

Sorry my misunderstanding, I assumed you had an Ohme wallbox not myenegi so I can't help as much, but with my set up yes if the car is set to stop at 80% it will regardless of what you've asked the chargers to do

I think I have it figured out now. I should probably set the Octopus app to add say 100% extra. Then use the car/MG app to control the maximum level of charge as it supersedes the charger?

So if Octopus is set to 100%, and the car to 80%, it’ll still cease charging at 80%?
Yes you can put a limit % on the car but do not have any other schedules and let octopus control it as that's how it is supposed to work.

Having said that I'm not sure why you need a limit on the car as you just set the percentage to add when you plug in.

I usually set the MG app to 80% which is classed as health mode.

Then for example if the car is sat at 20% state of charge I would set the Octopus app to add 60% and be ready by 6am and let Octopus set what the charging schedule. Only deviation to that is when doing a long trip or balancing charge then I would adjust the MG app to 100%(
Long trip mode) and set the Octopus app accordingly. I have a MG4 Trophy long range.

I don’t usually have any problems unless the Zappi is short of a firmware update.

I have a Zappi, so I have set the MG to 100% and then let the Zappi control the charge.
For example I am on Octopus Flux and have set as follows on my zappi only...
In ECO+ with 100% Green Energy
A simple boost schedule of 2am to 5am (Which is Flux cheap rate) for every day.

So when I plug the MG in then it gets approx 20kWh between 2am and 5am (and stops charging if MG gets 100% battery)

If I leave the car plugged in during the day then once the sun comes up and the house batteries have reached 100% (approx 11am at the moment) then any surplus is sent to the car (unless the car is at 100%) to which the surplus get put into the export grid (if car not plugged in then surplus goes straight to export grid)

If I want to do a bigger charge overnight (like 20% to 100%) then I just amend that nights zappi schedule to do 11pm to 7am

Join here;-

and make sure you read the MUST READ featured post.

The Ohme app will control the charge. You don't use the Octopus App and you don't set anything in the car. You set the charge for the amount you want to ADD not the amount you want to REACH and the time you want it charged by.

You have one schedule only. Make it every day and adjust the amount you want to add as you need it. Disable price cap (Ohme & Octopus will charge only when there is cheap power available not limited to 23.30 to 05.30).

As an example, I charged 65% Saturday night to Sunday morning and it didn't finish until 8am. All charged at 7.5p.

After setting your charge you open the door etc you will get a message on the Ohme App saying "Session Specific Rule." You need to re-approve your charge if you do/see that.

Andy Vee is one of the Mods on there and here is his mantra;-

"Heads up! Here's your weekly reminder to... Have one ACTIVE schedule and price cap disabled
Make sure Favour Green Energy, Save Money and Battery Optimization are all turned off."

In incredible failure to read properly, I didn't check if the OP even has an Ohme charger. Ignore my blithering as you don't!

Here’s a question. Hypothetical situation.

You plug your car in and OIG comes up with a charging schedule. Let’s say it picks:

14:30 - 16:30
20:00 - 11:30

If your car is plugged in and not charging as it doesn’t need any extra juice, do you still get 7.5p per kWh during those times for everything else in the house?

Here’s a question. Hypothetical situation.

You plug your car in and OIG comes up with a charging schedule. Let’s say it picks:

14:30 - 16:30
20:00 - 11:30

If your car is plugged in and not charging as it doesn’t need any extra juice, do you still get 7.5p per kWh during those times for everything else in the house?
Car needs to be actively charging that's why you should add what you need not leave add 100%

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom