• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Range and things!!

Darkpond

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just been reading some of your posts and I see some of you are getting 4.9+ miles/kWh. I only generally get 3.9 or less!! I don't drive excessively fast nor do I have a heavy right foot!! My usual maximum range after a night on the granny charger is 146 miles. How do you/are you getting so many miles out of these!!
It was just serviced and an update was applied but not the BMS update, I have to pay for that as it's now in the Comfort 2 update which costs £120 but I can get just the BMS for £60.
Next thing, clicking from steering column, they have said the column needs replacing and this warranty work has been approved, just waiting for date to book it in.
Also, I get vibration through the steering wheel when the air con is working hard, anybody else get that?
Thanks all, look forward to your comments
Darkpond

I thought the BMS update get done under warranty did you take it to the Hyundai dealer next to the MG site?

Also, I get vibration through the steering wheel when the air con is working hard, anybody else get that?
The vibration, don't worry, this has been witnessed by many owners.
Regarding your question on efficiency, to achieve very close to 5 m/kwh on a longer trip, you need a lot of factors in your favour, on the day.
The correct weather conditions and type of roads / speed limits etc.
Your driving style is very important and almost zero use of the HVAC system.
I have owned my ZS EV for almost two years now and covered 16,000 miles.
Yes - I have seen good and bad efficiency results over this period of time.
I have achieved 5.0 m/kwh for sure, but you can not expect to hit this higher score on every trip.
I always drive in the default mode of NORMAL and REGEN level 3.
Never both with Eco mode to be honest.
My car HAS received the latest BMS update and it will report a predicted 155 miles of range after a full charge and balance and with both trips reset to zero ( the day before charging ) prior to hitting the start button.

What is the voltage when full charged -449v or 456v?
I have same question as OP regarding range. I've bought an 11 month old ZS EV with 1000 miles on. I've done around 250 miles and averaged 3.5 m/kWh.

Will a BMS update increase the voltage when full from 449 to 456 and therefore increase range? We have a 270 mile each way journey coming up so the more range the better!

Edit: also have clicking steering column!

The BMS update will only definitely be done free of charge, IF you have the dodgy version of the BMS.
If you have a very old car/original BMS, then although you will have the 455V BMS version, you do not actually have the newer faulty BMS.
Check your voltage when it's fully charged, if it's less than say 448v, then you do have the dodgy BMS and it should/will be updated asap free of charge.

(The new BMS will charge to 450v rather than 455v, it will not increase/change your range, the BMS voltage change is to mainly protect the battery better)

If you have a very old car and it doesn't have the "comfort 2 update", you'll have all the annoying bongs etc etc, it is well worth spending the £120ish to get it all updated. I think everyone will agree it is sooooo much better with the comfort 2 update.

Just been reading some of your posts and I see some of you are getting 4.9+ miles/kWh.
I'm tight (might have mentioned that before!) and could routinely get my scenic knocking on the door of 70mpg, but I've rarely managed to get anything over 4M/kWh yet on my '5LR (had it a month). I put it down to a couple of things though:
1) It's a different style of driving, and probably a learned technique to maximise it. My best trips for MPG in the scenic were on motorways trundling along the 50MPH limits on cruise in the roadworks, but I expect efficient EV driving more about re-learning techniques on slower roads (efficient usage of KERS etc.)
2) I'm fighting an internal battle where one side says "Save Save Save!" and the other side says "f*&k it - my justification for this car was based at 3.5m/kWh and 15p/kWh. I'm getting 3.8m/kWh and paying 4.5p/kWh...

I'll be taking the 5LR camping though later this month. That's the first proper longish trip (170 miles up to Scotland - with 2 adults, a teenager, a car full of stuff and a roofbox, as the colder weather is setting in). I'll be watching the range and miles/kWh very carefully on that trip as I would like to get there in one go. Got a few charging options on the route though just in case.

I'm tight (might have mentioned that before!) and could routinely get my scenic knocking on the door of 70mpg, but I've rarely managed to get anything over 4M/kWh yet on my '5LR (had it a month). I put it down to a couple of things though:
1) It's a different style of driving, and probably a learned technique to maximise it. My best trips for MPG in the scenic were on motorways trundling along the 50MPH limits on cruise in the roadworks, but I expect efficient EV driving more about re-learning techniques on slower roads (efficient usage of KERS etc.)
2) I'm fighting an internal battle where one side says "Save Save Save!" and the other side says "f*&k it - my justification for this car was based at 3.5m/kWh and 15p/kWh. I'm getting 3.8m/kWh and paying 4.5p/kWh...

I'll be taking the 5LR camping though later this month. That's the first proper longish trip (170 miles up to Scotland - with 2 adults, a teenager, a car full of stuff and a roofbox, as the colder weather is setting in). I'll be watching the range and miles/kWh very carefully on that trip as I would like to get there in one go. Got a few charging options on the route though just in case.
Just keep an eye on the power gauge as you are driving, especially at take off (pulling away from a standstill). Try just barely, almost imperceptibly, easing pressure on the GO pedal and watch the power use drop with barely no change in speed/acceleration.

Just keep an eye on the power gauge as you are driving, especially at take off (pulling away from a standstill). Try just barely, almost imperceptibly, easing pressure on the GO pedal and watch the power use drop with barely no change in speed/acceleration.
yeah, the needle dies tweak up a bit on that initial launch (even with a gentle start). That's probably the only time I see significant movement on that dial .

I'm regularly get 4.5 miles per Kwh in mixed driving. It should be noted though that the parts of the M4 I use have average speed limits on them of between 50 and 60 mph due to road works. I drive my car in Eco mode with level 3 KERS. All I do is try and keep the power within the green zone while accelerating so not super slow and then when I'm cruising I try and keep the power within the 1st green segment of the power gauge. The only other thing is to take the power off well before you are going to stop so that you get maxim regeneration.

My MG5 will be serviced there.
Did they do the latest BMS update for free and why do they charge for the Comfort 2?

why do they charge for the Comfort 2?
MG have deemed the "Comfort 2" update on the ZS EV ( Gen1 model ) as a "Enhancement" over the standard spec and therefore decided to let the dealers charge customers for this software upgrade.
The debate on their decision, has been "Done To Death" on the forum.
The BMS update is totally different topic, as it was required to fix problems with previous software bug's that have caused problems with the car range etc.
Not ALL cars are affected, but a fairly large number of car's are.

The vibration, don't worry, this has been witnessed by many owners.
Regarding your question on efficiency, to achieve very close to 5 m/kwh on a longer trip, you need a lot of factors in your favour, on the day.
The correct weather conditions and type of roads / speed limits etc.
Your driving style is very important and almost zero use of the HVAC system.
I have owned my ZS EV for almost two years now and covered 16,000 miles.
Yes - I have seen good and bad efficiency results over this period of time.
I have achieved 5.0 m/kwh for sure, but you can not expect to hit this higher score on every trip.
I always drive in the default mode of NORMAL and REGEN level 3.
Never both with Eco mode to be honest.
My car HAS received the latest BMS update and it will report a predicted 155 miles of range after a full charge and balance and with both trips reset to zero ( the day before charging ) prior to hitting the start button.
With both trips reset to zero - how do you do that please ?
We are getting high charge mileage, 200+, though it's not a true figure, obviously, as it drops down quickly in that first 40 miles. Though it does seem to hang around and be relatively accurate below 180 miles and aligned to mileage actually driven.
I believe it's (the GOM?) calculated guess on your previous driving style and settings? Am I correct in this?
We only drive on ECO, Regen 3, and with HVAC off (when it's not needed) - and why with the 20% mileage gain?!

Hi All,
Just been reading some of your posts and I see some of you are getting 4.9+ miles/kWh. I only generally get 3.9 or less!! I don't drive excessively fast nor do I have a heavy right foot!! My usual maximum range after a night on the granny charger is 146 miles. How do you/are you getting so many miles out of these!!
It was just serviced and an update was applied but not the BMS update, I have to pay for that as it's now in the Comfort 2 update which costs £120 but I can get just the BMS for £60.
Next thing, clicking from steering column, they have said the column needs replacing and this warranty work has been approved, just waiting for date to book it in.
Thanks all, look forward to your comments
Darkpond
Is it a vibration in the wheel, or more of an electrical humming, I think they call it Thrumming, rather like the wheel is trying to massage your hands?

Buttons on right side of steering wheel. Go down from speed to get to the current and accumulated trips, 1 down to current, another 1 down for accumulated. Long press OK on each.
Explore those buttons left and right up and down.

Buttons on right side of steering wheel. Go down from speed to get to the current and accumulated trips, 1 down to current, another 1 down for accumulated. Long press OK on each.
Explore those buttons left and right up and down.
Oh, OK, great - thank you very much.

We are getting high charge mileage, 200+, though it's not a true figure, obviously, as it drops down quickly in that first 40 miles. Though it does seem to hang around and be relatively accurate below 180 miles and aligned to mileage actually driven.
I believe it's (the GOM?) calculated guess on your previous driving style and settings? Am I correct in this?
We only drive on ECO, Regen 3, and with HVAC off (when it's not needed) - and why with the 20% mileage gain?!
The “Predicted” range will be higher when you select Eco mode.
After carrying out a FULL charge and rebalance, when you enter the car and are then ready to start.
First, do not apply pressure to your footbrake, then press the start button once, then once again.
Now using the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel, score through the menu’s until you see the trip recorders showing on the dash panel.
Reset both of them by pressing the okay button on the wheel when requested.
Do it for BOTH your present, then accumulated total trip.
This will then realign the predicted forecast in the GOM to give you a more accurate prediction of range, prior to making a longer trip.
A predicted GOM range of +200 miles is based on a record of your previous driving style and types of journeys, and is plainly not achievable in actual miles covered.
I always use the default mode of NORMAL and Regen level 3 when requesting the car for a prediction on my range after a full charge & balance.
Oh …… Please ensure all your HVAC system is switched off also, otherwise it will have an instant impact on the reported range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom