Range Anxiety?

@Kithmo,
We have covered the issue of under engine shield in significant detail previously.
In fact the ZS EV has an under engine shield but at the time we were not adequately informed and thought it did not have one. Anyway some made arrangements to have alternative under engine cover but thankfully the correct information was at hand and went to clarify the issue that the Gap we see is actually a air hole.
As to these claims being made by a member about an Indian manufacturer of ZS EVs making various claims, I will leave you to make you own conclusions.
Just out of interest, is the official website for MG India backing my claim insufficient? Their ZS EV is manufactured in India rather than China, it may be a little different, I don’t really know, but I haven’t said anything designed to lead anyone astray.
Not that it really matters, but this interaction has left a slightly bitter taste and I thought you might have taken a slightly different stance after I showed you what you asked to see...

Hi.
I know that ZS EVs are assembled in Halol in India, Gujurat Province since a few months now only.
At least that is what I have read.
Whether this particular one this video is India assembled or imported to India, I do not know.
All I know about the India model, is that it differs from the EU /UK models in 2ways
Software and Internet connectivity.
I have never heard or seen any claims by MG that any of their MG ZS EV models already on sale anywhere in the world has the sort of range you are quoting.
Anyway if it is claimed the formal MG Motors India Website quotes these figures for ZS EVs then I have to take that as what they quote. Thanks

There is a very good video on Tube somewhere, that I found very early on, that shows them building cars at the Indian Factory. It all looked very modern and well organised.
I guess India is a potentially HUGE market for the car.
Anything thats cuts their horrendous air pollution there can only be good.

Very interesting video Max ... I wonder what the average speed was, looked to be very slow. The amazing range of 350 miles was achieved by all the tactics he mentions in the video, including having the regen set on the minimum (!!??) (and not braking), and it is not a WLTP or any other cycle. The very wide spread of ranges you get in EVs is because of they are much more efficient. The theoretical limit of range is infinite (think Newton's laws of motion), and hypermile machines do ridiculously large journeys. I have learned a new word for this obsession: Nempimania (thanks to the Hypermiling FAQ | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum site with interesting stuff mainly about ICEs.)

Just to make it clear to any new members......you will not get 350 miles out of your MG!

But I have done 155, with about 10-20 in reserve. and others have achieved similar figures by employing a modest driving style.

To repeat myself, I also found that video amazing........ :) Thanks for posting it Max.

Last edited:
@Simon S,
I note your contribution with much interest. If I am permitted to comment, I will say the wide spread of range displayed by individual drivers depends on their individual driving efficiency.
The ranges quoted by by all manufacturers is based on WLTP cycle and is dependent on a few factors but mostly based on battery capacity.
The quotation standard pattern is....
This EV has a range of up to XYZ*
* The range stated is distance travelled on the mixed WLTP cycle.
The range the Manufacturers quote for each model is therefore fixed and there is always an asterisk * after the figure to facilitate an explanation of which cycle the figure is based on.
As we all know EVs are more efficient at slower speeds but the range quoted officially is never based on the slowest possible speed that will achieve max distance.
Do you disagree?
Range seekers fantasy for me personally is a big issue. I think it leads to unintentionally disinformation.
So that is it for me. Would not comment on range on this forum anymore least I become public enemy no. 1
Ps.
I would encourage members to indicate what comes after the asterisk * when they quote range. In some Indian literature Range is quoted as ARAI certification figures which are not accepted anywhere else in the world apart from India.

Last edited:
I started this thread ...."RANGE ANXIETY"..... to talk about range....thats what most people are interested in. I dont see why members should worry about their opinions and thoughts are going to be criticised.

Last edited:
Thanks @Chrispydoc I did not know you deemed my contributions "load negative waffle"
Its good to know.
I thought what the furom was about promoting clear cut understanding of our vehicle based on true tech knowledge and not old ladies fables. Guess may be I was wrong.
Anyway no one needs to leave the forum because of anything I have written.
To all who have taken offence at anything I have written on this forum my sincere apologies. Thanks

I have some stuff concerting my longish drive today , I mentioned yesterday that i've not used the motorway much. I thought I'd give a try today, on a trip from Derby to Sheffield. I drove the car quite vigorously up the M1, just as I would have done with my old ICE car. On the return trip I drove down the slow way...through Chesterfield and the Derbyshire countryside. It took twice as long to do the approx 40 miles..but it was much more pleasant. I set off with about 168 miles showing in Eco mode, we only used fresh air. no Air con, but quite normal apart from that. I'll leave you to interpret the figures.....I got home with 73 miles range..

IMG_8670.jpg

BTW...as I the only person sad enough to keep my engine bay cleaned?

Attachments

• IMG_8672.jpg
    IMG_8672.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8678.JPG
    IMG_8678.JPG
    559.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Thanks @Chrispydoc I did not know you deemed my contributions "load negative waffle"
Its good to know.
I thought what the furom was about promoting clear cut understanding of our vehicle based on true tech knowledge and not old ladies fables. Guess may be I was wrong.,
Anyway no one needs to leav e the forum because of anything I have written.
To all who have taken offence at anything I have written on this forum my sincere apologies. Thanks
I'm an 82 year old lady owner of an MG ZS EV, I have never posted any fables,
Regards,
Dodger (Coffin}

You make me feel like a young lad Dodger.....I'm only a mere 71!;)

How do you like your MG?

@Dodger,
Sorry for anyone offence caused.
One would hope there was enough understanding of English as a mode of communication so the term " old ladies fables" would not cause offence but here we are...?

Thats all good then... ;) ....Perhaps " Dodger"you should have had an ipace instead?

Last edited:
Chris, that's an insanely clean engine bay (or should that be "motor bay" :) - when I collected my MG new, the motor bay was as shiny as yours. Sadly it's now looking like all the other (second hand) cars I've ever owned ;-) - that is apart from the vast amount of empty space in it, now that it doesn't need lots of pistons, gears, alternators, water pumps, turbochargers, exhaust manifolds, etc etc etc!! - it's a shame MG didn't compact the power train assembly better, so we could fit a "frunk" above the works....

Hi Doug....I suppose I must be a OCD, but with a long list of "classic cars" behind me...I just can't get out of the habit. I get through a lot of Costco's Kitchen rolls......I even polish under the wheel arches on my DeLorean!

IMG_8657.jpg
IMG_4203.JPG

I know I'm off the thread,..... but I thought I'd show you my Delorean engine bay, as found and now running, 18 months later.....my work is nothing compared to the "Concours" enthusiast's....who make my cars look scruffy! When I bought the car, it had been dumped in a field for 30 years.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom