Range dropping rapidly

Matt2199

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone

TLDR; Getting significantly lower range than i believe i should be on my ZS EV despite taking precautions, and am wondering if anyone's had similar

Long version:
I picked up my zs ev back in October, but recently my range seems to be really struggling, I've been frequently making the same ~60 mile motorway round trip journey, leaving each time fully charged, and only returing with around 30/40 miles on the GOM, this is despite driving in Eco mode, with ACC set to 60 and no air con on.
The GOM seems to go down around 3/4 miles for each actual mile that i drive for most of the journey, despite my Miles per KwH being around 3.7 for the individual journey, theoretically meaning i should be getting a 140 mile range, not the 80/90 i seem to be getting.

Has anyone experienced similar to this, and if so how did you get it sorted? Feel a trip to the garage may be looming.

Hi everyone

TLDR; Getting significantly lower range than i believe i should be on my ZS EV despite taking precautions, and am wondering if anyone's had similar

Long version:
I picked up my zs ev back in October, but recently my range seems to be really struggling, I've been frequently making the same ~60 mile motorway round trip journey, leaving each time fully charged, and only returing with around 30/40 miles on the GOM, this is despite driving in Eco mode, with ACC set to 60 and no air con on.
The GOM seems to go down around 3/4 miles for each actual mile that i drive for most of the journey, despite my Miles per KwH being around 3.7 for the individual journey, theoretically meaning i should be getting a 140 mile range, not the 80/90 i seem to be getting.

Has anyone experienced similar to this, and if so how did you get it sorted? Feel a trip to the garage may be looming.
Fully charge it, then take a photo of the voltage and current with no load.
Likely you have the withdrawn BMS firmware that is widely discussed on this site.

Fully charge it, theb take a photo of the voltage and current with no load.
Likely you have the withdrawn BMS firmware that is widely discussed on this site.
Okay thanks for your reply, is there a good post your aware of that explains this issue? Or am i just best off contacting a dealer if I've got these issues?
What roughly should the voltage and current figures be with no load?

Okay thanks for your reply, is there a good post your aware of that explains this issue? Or am i just best off contacting a dealer if I've got these issues?
What roughly should the voltage and current figures be with no load?
If you not had any updates done this year, 2021, the voltage should be around 456V on a full charge, if its a well below that would indicate your problem being as such.
Their is a firmware update fix by the dealers.
Let me see if I can find you a link.

See BMS imbalance links

I have posted in the past with similar problems.
After a couple of BMS updates it now appears to be corrected. Last update done Wednesday but it would appear better. Having returned the car 3 times to achieve this position I have negotiated a replacement new car same model.
This may not be the best answer but thought I would share my thoughts.

That’s the solution then! Bad BMS? Get a new car! Well done with your negotiations 🙂

After a couple of BMS updates it now appears to be corrected. Last update done Wednesday but it would appear better. Having returned the car 3 times to achieve this position I have negotiated a replacement new car same model.
Just to confirm, they're giving you a brand new car replacement due to the issues you've had?

Sounds like the old one is being part exchanged for a new same model. What is the mileage difference between the 2 cars and was the extra money worth it?
Wonder what you will do in a few months when issues arises with something else.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom