Range issues - Filing a "Warranty Claim" on our Battery or "Rejecting" the purchase

There's no magic way for me to equalise the battery other than regular charging of it, which will bring it back into line
I don't see anything contentious with that comment. Basically, the dealer is saying he will have to balance the battery pack by charging it, which is all he can do. There are stories on the forum of dealers having packs on charge for long periods of time (days?) to get iffy packs balanced. Regardless, I hope your issues gets sorted, please keep up updated.

Motorway range - was at 85mph yesterday for about 15-20 miles. That has an interesting effect on the GOM! 🤣

Didn't someone say leaving it stood in READY mode balances the cells to some degree ?

Didn't someone say leaving it stood in READY mode balances the cells to some degree ?
Apparently so.
I have not seen/heard of any proof of that - I'm not convinced it does to be honest.

I think the dealers just leave it in READY mode in the locked workshop overnight, to run the battery down a bit and allow them to do another balance the next day.

Apparently so.
I have not seen/heard of any proof of that - I'm not convinced it does to be honest.

I think the dealers just leave it in READY mode in the locked workshop overnight, to run the battery down a bit and allow them to do another balance the next day.
I vaguely remember it being discussed on one of the Podcast's and I think it was Miles R who brought up this subject.

@basicsboy it looks like your battery is either faulty or the bad BMS has had a severe negative effect.

The main test to know what’s wrong is to fully charge your car on a granny charger (approx 20 hours from empty) or home charger (approx 7 hours from empty) and let the car do a full balance once charge is complete (a couple of hours more at the end of charge - MG badge will stay on whilst balancing occurs). Once all this is done switch car on and have a look at voltage in the drivers display. If battery is in a fit state it should show 449’ish volts if you’re on the latest BMS or 456’ish if you’re on the early 2020 BMS.

If your voltage is less than this then you have to go to your dealer and have them diagnose what’s wrong.

My car was very similar to what you describe before the most recent BMS update. I am perfectly happy with the car now and get somewhere near the advertised range, even in the hilly terrain of Norway. What you are describing sounds like the battery is still unbalanced. It takes many charge / discharge cycles to recover the battery and this should be done by the dealer as they have equipment to do this faster than you can at home. Clearly at home you have to drive the car around to discharge it. So while the battery will recover eventually over time with charge / discharge cycles , as long as you leave it charging long enough to do the balanced charge at the end of each charge cycles, the dealer should be doing all or the majority of those charge discharge cycles so you have a balanced battery. Speak to your dealer again.

I bought my car in February 2020 and it has not had any BMS changes (only had the early bongs /temp display mod). I did the recommended battery check yesterday (hi voltage isolated) and the battery voltage was 456 after granny charge, as Aussiepete suggests.

I bought my car in February 2020 and it has not had any BMS changes (only had the early bongs /temp display mod). I did the recommended battery check yesterday (hi voltage isolated) and the battery voltage was 456 after granny charge, as Aussiepete suggests.
Then you are running on the original OEM factory BMS software then.
If you don’t suffer from any of the problems associated with the “Buggy” software ( very poor range etc ) then leave well alone.

Yes, at the service I told them not to do a BMS update.
This also entails some danger... if your battery does degrade and need a warranty claim, the fact you have refused the BMS update designed to prolong the life of the battery by keeping the upper charge voltage limit of the battery cells lower, and hence reducing stress on the battery, just might be a reason for warranty refusal! Certainly a bit of a minefield...

Surely if it is so important to do this BMS update MG should be recalling all relevant cars for a compulsory update using the comprehensive information they hold for our service history online documents - If they know where they are kept.
I took delivery of my ZS on 8th June and it charges to 456v. I would have thought that if the issue was important then it would have had the BMS update. As others have said, if it is working then I am happy to leave it alone unless the garage advise me otherwise.

I took delivery of my ZS on 8th June and it charges to 456v. I would have thought that if the issue was important then it would have had the BMS update. As others have said, if it is working then I am happy to leave it alone unless the garage advise me otherwise.
I believe the official word we’ve been told from MG is that dealers should ensure cars sold have had the latest updates applied before being handed over.
If your car has 456v that suggests it left the factory prior to mid jan, if it left the factory let’s say after June-ish 2020 then it will have the problematic or dodgy bms. I doubt your car was made over a year ago so needs to be updated really.

Surely if it is so important to do this BMS update MG should be recalling all relevant cars for a compulsory update using the comprehensive information they hold for our service history online documents - If they know where they are kept.
If only it was this simple ( and it should be ) as this stage.
It is my understanding that ALL dealers have access to the SAME service bulletins at every branch.
So, they should be all following the direct instruction laid down by the manufacture.
As WE don’t have direct access to these updates, we can not see directly how they are worded.
Are they instructed to apply these updates only if the car develops a fault ?.
The BMS software update is a strange one alright.
Some cars get it, some cars don’t ?.
New cars arriving here now, I am assured WILL be running on the latest 450 volt BMS software package.
Any new stock vehicles that have been sitting around for a while unregistered, will be running on the older software.
Should these cars be update as part of the PDI inspection, of course they should.
All cars should be standardised.
But will all know how basic a PDI service can be.
Plates / Polish / Ship.
I agree it can become a bit of an issue, if the dealer advises that the BMS update should be done, but the customer actually refuses it, this could have warranty claim implications in the future.
Let’s just say as example here, your car has developed a fault after about two years and you had not submitted the car for its annual service.
You now require a warranty claim that will cover the parts and the labour costs.
Are you likely to have that claim satisfied because you have skipped the correct process laid in the T&C’s by the
Manufacture?.
Quick answer - NO !.
One of the major selling factors of getting your car serviced at the main agents, is this.
And he or she writes.
“Your car will receive ALL of the latest and necessary safety updates recommended by MG to keep your car running in the best possible running and safe condition”.
And yet still some dealers are clearly not carrying out the direct instruction from MG with regards to applying this updates - Why ????.
There will be an official MG book time given to the dealership to update these cars.
The dealer will be able to claim back these hours back from MG.
However, if the update takes longer than the book time, or the upgrade is applied incorrectly, causing an issue with the car.
Then the dealer will be standing the cost of the labour from this point onwards.
Does this go someway to explain WHY some of these updates just don’t get done then ?.
Manufactures do NOT like recalling cars, they will avoid it like the plague.
It reflects badly against the brand.
They prefer to call them “Produce Enhancements or Improvements that can be carried out at the customer’s convenience”.
Or some other close B/S term of phrase.
My previous VW PHEV had no updates applied at its PDI check, but at the first service it had 13 updates down at the same time.
Every module in the car received some type of update.
Did I request it - NO.
Did I get the chance to choose if I wanted it or not - NO.
I was the largest volume that the senior tech had ever applied to a car in one session.
The car was booked in for a small service and ended up spending the whole day hooked up to the computer and it was not ready for collection until the following diner time.
Massive update, but no problems when I received the car back !.

This also entails some danger... if your battery does degrade and need a warranty claim, the fact you have refused the BMS update designed to prolong the life of the battery by keeping the upper charge voltage limit of the battery cells lower, and hence reducing stress on the battery, just might be a reason for warranty refusal! Certainly a bit of a minefield...
This is a very interesting point re warranty.
Given how important maintaining the battery warranty is.
I would suggest getting confirmation in writing that not having the bms update will not impact the warranty

My understanding is MG have told all dealers to update all cars that aren't already on the latest version the next time they're in the workshop for service or other work. It isn't meant to be optional. As usual however, the more crappy dealers couldn't care less as they're bone idle and quite happy to take an instruction not to do it. MG probably don't compensate them that much for doing it either compared to retail work rates.

I'd not trust a dealer to have your back in the event of a warranty claim issue due to an update not getting done. I fully believe many would lie and cheat to cover their own backs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom