Range today

I go over the Horse Shoe Pass on my way to family in Ruthin, I always end up gaining upto 9 miles of range using the mountain and judicious use of the KERS modes 😁 Add to that it's so much fun to drive over and it's my new go to route!

A lovely place, many happy biking memories from there and the Pondarosa Cafe :) Though last time I was there a few years back most of the moorland seemed to be on fire 😲

A 22kw will only give max 7kw anyway as that is all the MG inverter will allow on AC
Hi now that’s very interesting to know thank you as the other day here in wigan Tesco they had 4 bran new chargers opened up 2 are 22 kw AC and 1 CCS 50 kw and 1 50 kw CHAdeMO the later 2 are chargeable, all are pod point.
So never having used a public charge point before I plug my 5 into the free 22 kw and after around 30 minutes when I came back to my car I had only got about a very small amount 2% I think it was so this must be the reason why if MG is only able to take 7kw ac charging ,then would appear to be a waste of time away from home, That’s a bit poor in my opinion as I said my first ever charge away from home but thanks for explaining that fact.
Les

Found this below on ZapMaps there is no mention about the 5 but from my experience it must be the same therefore 22/43 kw means 7kw into MGs I wonder what we are to find out next !

The MG ZS EV is fitted with a 7 kW on-board charger for Type 2 AC charging as standard, in addition to rapid 50 kW DC capability. This means that even when connected to a fast charger with a rated output above 7 kW, the MG ZS EV will only be able to charge at 7 kW.

Last edited:
Hi now that’s very interesting to know thank you as the other day here in wigan Tesco they had 4 bran new chargers opened up 2 are 22 kw AC and 1 CCS 50 kw and 1 50 kw CHAdeMO the later 2 are chargeable, all are pod point.
So never having used a public charge point before I plug my 5 into the free 22 kw and after around 30 minutes when I came back to my car I had only got about a very small amount 2% I think it was so this must be the reason why if MG is only able to take 7kw , ac charging then would appear to be a waste of time away from home, That’s a bit poor in my opinion as I said my first ever charge away from home but thanks for explaining that fact.
Les
There are quite a few who rely on AC charging away from home as they can’t charge at home. They tend to leave their cars on the free 7kw chargers to top up for a few hours. For a quick turnaround- 0n a journey for example you really need to find a DC rapid charger. 🙂

There are quite a few who rely on AC charging away from home as they can’t charge at home. They tend to leave their cars on the free 7kw chargers to top up for a few hours. For a quick turnaround- 0n a journey for example you really need to find a DC rapid charger. 🙂
Cocijo thank you yeh I understand what your saying I’ve got a lot to learn about these EV quirks just put an edit on my other post after looking at ZapMaps and don’t you think it a bit unfair that some people leave the cars on public chargers for what must be many hours i do because someone might need that
Les

Cocijo thank you yeh I understand what your saying I’ve got a lot to learn about these EV quirks just put an edit on my other post after looking at ZapMaps and don’t you think it a bit unfair that some people leave the cars on public chargers for what must be many hours i do because someone might need that
Les
Yes Les, there’s an etiquette involved here that most do adhere to. So on a rapid DC if you can, charge to 80% - as after that it gets really slow. Then let someone else charge if they are waiting. Most EV owners are quite aware and a friendly bunch And don’t hog the DC rapids. 🙂

What speeds were you doing, I have found when driving up and down steep hills and mountains that the car generates more electricity coming down than it uses to go up but this is purley anecdotal. We just drove a 100 mile round trip and worked out range to be 150 with 3.9 miles per kwh temp 8 degrees and mostly flat.
@ChrisT even at the topmost regeneration of the best regeneration device in the world today one will not be able to generate more energy coming down a hill than one spent going up. So as you said it is an Anecdote.
The interesting thing about an electric car is that to a great extent you can make you GOM show whatever numbers you want if you know how. So do not get worried if all you are get is 150 and 3.9. In fact that is the sort of numbers the car is designed to do in normal driving conditions.
Please I am in no way going to argue with those who claim they drive at 70 or 80 miles per hour and do 200miles and have 60 miles still left on a single charge in their ZS EVs. That is bravo to them. I merely speak as a man of science given to presenting what the science, manufacturing data of not only the ZS EV but all EVs and the Laws of Physics tell us.

First law - law of conservation of energy 😀

Les
Btw - you probably know this already but on apps like Zap-Map and ABRP you can filter to only show CCS rapids for your journey. The same for Wattsup.

I didn't, cheers! Is it a free one?
There's a brand new ALDI in Ruthin and it's got 22kw chargers - not once have they worked 😡
Hi @SCB86 .
The new units at the Mold Tesco store have been in operation about two months now.
There is four EV parking bays feed by two Pod Point 7kw units.
I can confirm that they do work fine on the ZS EV and are on “Free Vend”.
When you plug in, they will commence the charge automatically, but will stop supplying charge after 15 mins if you don’t confirm the charge on the Pod Point app on your phone.
Pretty much standard stuff for a Pod Point unit this !.
There is a cafe inside Tesco ( but currently not in operation due to C19 restrictions ).
There is a Mac Donald’s with a drive through very close by.
Behind there is a brand new Aldi under construction as we speak.
It will also be receiving EV charging units according to the plans I have seen for this store.
C51B9D37-9E13-47AD-9FD5-0BE3CF7631DB.jpeg

Hi @SCB86 .
The new units at the Mold Tesco store have been in operation about two months now.
When you plug in, they will commence the charge automatically, but will stop supplying charge after 15 mins if you don’t confirm the charge on the Pod Point app on your phone.
There is a cafe inside Tesco ( but currently not in operation due to C19 restrictions ).
It will also be receiving EV charging units according to the plans I have seen for this store.
View attachment 2852

Chargers are starting to appear at supermarkets and other 'entertainment' venues - slowly but surely! Obviously, the UK has still got a long way to go compared to some of our European counterparts but, if you compare where we are now compared to 5 years ago, and where we 'could' be in the next 5 years, we're making some progress! :cool:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi @SCB86 .
View attachment 2852
Those parking spaces look narrow

Those parking spaces look narrow
Sorry @Kithmo .
The photo was shot before they remarked out the spaces sorry !.
The six original standard size tight spaces, have now been converted into four EV spaces.
I will try and get you a better, more up to date shot when I visit next.

They're New Motion. There's no app or anything you just plug in. I spoke to the manager a couple of times and he said they don't actually control them and there's nothing they can do but feedback they're not working.
I think NewMotion is related to Shell. They show up in the shell app and there is a shell RFID card.

@ChrisT even at the topmost regeneration of the best regeneration device in the world today one will not be able to generate more energy coming down a hill than one spent going up. So as you said it is an Anecdote.
The interesting thing about an electric car is that to a great extent you can make you GOM show whatever numbers you want if you know how. So do not get worried if all you are get is 150 and 3.9. In fact that is the sort of numbers the car is designed to do in normal driving conditions.
Please I am in no way going to argue with those who claim they drive at 70 or 80 miles per hour and do 200miles and have 60 miles still left on a single charge in their ZS EVs. That is bravo to them. I merely speak as a man of science given to presenting what the science, manufacturing data of not only the ZS EV but all EVs and the Laws of Physics tell us.
@KasEV

Thanks for your scientific tagged post, way above my head, having driven ev's for 4 years I have never used the estimated range provided by the cars algorithm and have always calculated the real world mileage based on the tripometer and am quite content with the mg range.

If I want to believe that I can generate more power going down a steep mountain slope than going up then I should be able to, just like I know ghosts exist and there is a tooth fairy so why spoil it with that science stuff.🤔

Interesting link below about regen on a large truck that might put a pin prick in your bubble 👍 also read about a mountain train in Switzerland where every third trip was free. I will let you do the Math😁 .

Wonder if the BMS can update it to take the 22kw AC as a lot of public chargers are being installed at 22kw now instead of 50kw?
No, BMS, Battery Management Software, will not be able to. Would need a new AC/DC converter that can utilise the higher current.

Had my first every trip out yesterday that was beyond the single charge range.

The distance was such that if I believed the GOM it was possible, however ABRP suggested I needed to re-charge on the return leg.

Timings were such that I opted to top up on the way there. After about 60 miles.
Stopped an an Osprey Rapid and 23 minutes later had added 10KW and drunk a coffee.
I appreciate it would charge more and faster from a lower state of charge, but it's geography and timing.

When possible I did 65-70 on the dual carriageways and one mile from home it went to one bar and please recharge notice appeared.

So all to plan.
Only wrinkle was with the newish Osprey chargers I used, the plug was so stiff I thought it was locked.
The RFID authorisation was broken (waiting for a software update). I used their app and it was fine as well as 5p/kWh cheaper.

(I don't like Costa coffee - cheap Vietnamese beans with no flavour).

@KasEV

Thanks for your scientific tagged post, way above my head, having driven ev's for 4 years I have never used the estimated range provided by the cars algorithm and have always calculated the real world mileage based on the tripometer and am quite content with the mg range.

If I want to believe that I can generate more power going down a steep mountain slope than going up then I should be able to, just like I know ghosts exist and there is a tooth fairy so why spoil it with that science stuff.🤔

Interesting link below about regen on a large truck that might put a pin prick in your bubble 👍 also read about a mountain train in Switzerland where every third trip was free. I will let you do the Math😁 .

That big truck is full when going downhill and empty when going up - that is why it makes more regen than it uses going back up the hill - that's science

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom