Rapid chargers

andrewhs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Is it OK to use a rapid charger on an MG4? I found one at the weekend that charges at 150 KW, couldn't get it to work so thought maybe too powerful for car?

Is it OK to use a rapid charger on an MG4? I found one at the weekend that charges at 150 KW, couldn't get it to work so thought maybe too powerful for car?

You should not have any problem. I've had mine on 350 Kw chargers and it just takes what it needs. I don't expect to get more than 88 Kw.

Sometimes these chargers can be temperamental, and won't co-operate if you don't do things in the right order. Occasionally you may come across one that's broken. Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll probably get it to work OK. Most people get into a bit of a muddle the first time they try it.

They're highway robbery, but essential if you're on a long journey, and if you mostly charge at home then the total cost isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

When I first got my MG5 I downloaded a few apps and tried various Rapid DC chargers. Read the instructions as some don't like being plugged in before you use the app or RFID card.

Public chargers can be finicky to get to start for sure, but in my case I had problems that turned out to be because I'd set the car to schedule charge (in the infotainment settings in the car), but in the app I didn't have schedule charge set. With this set up I had to confirm the charge in the MG app before it would start charging, which required my PIN to be entered, and often this failed the first time and the charger software would time out while I was faffing around. Since turning off schedule charge in the car's settings, I have had fewer problems - I just plug it in and it gets started pretty much straight away mostly.

I don't have a dual rate tariff etc, so I don't ever schedule charge, but when I first got the car I'd been fiddling with the settings and had selected it in the infotainment charging menu. Took a while to figure out the issue.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back