Rapid charging an MG4

WalkingBootWeather

Established Member
Reaction score
So has anyone managed to rapid charge a MG4 yet and if so what was the maximum speed of the charger, SoC and actual charge speed achieved? Had you used that rapid to charge a different EV and if so how did the MG4 rate compare?

Ideally testing would be on a 150kW+ charger but interested if close to the stated 50kW can be achieved on an older charger that say a Mk1 ZS only takes 40kW from

If I get a chance to test drive one and SoC is less than 70% I'll try and visit a rapid and see what I get.

There is some info on this regard from a Spanish guy =>

It seems it is able to charge up to 143 kW. Li-ion, by the way

Measure sources: MG Spain Product manager

It would be interesting to see, if there was no one waiting, how the charge rate drops over 80% or 90% and if it gets to 100% without any issues.

I am too waiting for (anyone) to publish a charging curve or at least some figures and real world experience (i.e. 60 kW at 5%, 130 kW between 15 and 30%, 90kW between 50 and 60%...)

The official data seems off.

Between "135kW Peak" and "74kW avg. between 10 and 80%" the curve appears too steep to me.

By now there should be enough MG4s on the road that one of the users here can share some background?

Certainly keeping my fingers crossed for "longer peak" and "higher average".

And while I love his in-depth videos, Björn Nyland doesn't always get the best data btw.

His Marvel R charged slower than it did in some other tests. And who knows when he'll get his hands on an MG4.

Good grief everyone, @Lespresso the first to pick up on this forum was only Friday evening (approx 60 hours ago)....patience people. :)
We’re excited! We want to live vicariously through those lucky few until our time comes. And 60hrs is plenty of time to have driven up and down the country a couple of times. /s

First charge tests: SR, 90kW charger, from 80 to 95 SoC

IMG_20220928_180049_425.jpg

Wow, that's great.

So he went from 10-80% in 25 minutes with a peak of 140kW, 66kW at 71% and reached 89% after 35 minutes still pulling 30kW. If this is repeatable it is brilliant news.

NB: this was ideal temperature and not sharing the charger.

I’ll try the 150kW MFG stalls in Wigan on Sat then maybe the Ionity at Gretna.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back