Rapid charging an MG4

Wow, that's great.

So he went from 10-80% in 25 minutes with a peak of 140kW, 66kW at 71% and reached 89% after 35 minutes still pulling 30kW. If this is repeatable it is brilliant news.

NB: this was ideal temperature and not sharing the charger.
Agreed. Pretty much ideal conditions but still very encouraging results.

Looks like quite a flat charge curve with speed maintained at a decent level to beyond 80%

Looking forward to see comparable figures from regular drivers who rock up at a rapid in typical conditions without pre-heating the battery first.

I've got the SR which the spec sheet says maxes out at 117, but as @raph says quite suitable for long distance travel and I'm already looking at revising my cross-France plans and also a trip to Scotland to visit friends. Bearing in mind it's exactly two weeks ago that I expressed an interest whilst my ZS was being serviced it all feels a bit surreal, but there it is on my drive!

I'm getting the mileage down over the next few days so I'll then try and fast charge, particularly if someone wants to use my Octopus Electroverse referral code, otherwise I'm using my cheap rate! ;-)

Electroverse

So the manual says this...

1664394612540510048287964641668.jpg

So does that mean if you're driving, pull into a service station with your family in. You then have to manually power off using the infotainment screen, wait 10 seconds... then rapid charge. What then? Freeze to death or can you switch it back on then?

Just my opinion....
As there is no stop/start button, before any charging (rapid or slow), you will need to place your car in "P" and then the driver needs to exit the car. That will "power off" the car. Once you connect the charger you can once again "power on" the car by sitting in the driver's seat. On this occasion the car now will be in the charging mode and will not let you engage "D" or "R".

There is also another way to power off the car from the menu system and, apparently, you can power on by just depressing the brake pedal.

View attachment 11342

So does that mean if you're driving, pull into a service station with your family in. You then have to manually power off using the infotainment screen, wait 10 seconds... then rapid charge. What then? Freeze to death or can you switch it back on then?
How long does it take to get out of the car pick up the cable insert it into the car and then commence the charge.
If you can do that in less than 10 seconds then you are Usain Bolt the second.

How long does it take to get out of the car pick up the cable insert it into the car and then commence the charge.
If you can do that in less than 10 seconds then you are Usain Bolt the second.
That's not what I meant... I did ask if we can turn it back on again. I was asking does the car have to stay off or can it then be switched back on

That's not what I meant... I did ask if we can turn it back on again. I was asking does the car have to stay off or can it then be switched back on
Angry emoji ? Calm down. :) You posted the pic of the manual yourself that said you can turn on to look at the SOC, so just leave it on and turn the heater on, the same as in the 5.

Just my opinion....
As there is no stop/start button, before any charging (rapid or slow), you will need to place your car in "P" and then the driver needs to exit the car. That will "power off" the car. Once you connect the charger you can once again "power on" the car by sitting in the driver's seat. On this occasion the car now will be in the charging mode and will not let you engage "D" or "R".

There is also another way to power off the car from the menu system and, apparently, you can power on by just depressing the brake pedal.
From my experience yesterday the car does not power off by just getting out. Car powers down when you lock the doors, yes there is also an option to power down in a sub menu.

Car will power up when you unlock and will be ready to drive when you depress the brake pedal.

From my experience yesterday the car does not power off by just getting out. Car powers down when you lock the doors, yes there is also an option to power down in a sub menu.
Yes its just the manual says "Before connecting the rapid charger switch the vehicle system off and wait 10 seconds" So I wasnt sure if you could just check the state of power or actually use the car in terms of heaters etc. So you'd have to power off by either locking the car which seems strange or power off using the infotainment screen. But then what... you can put your foot on the break and it starts... or do you power it back on using the same button on the infotainment system. In the Mg5 you can just plug it in whilst the car is on or off.

Yes its just the manual says "Before connecting the rapid charger switch the vehicle system off and wait 10 seconds" So I wasnt sure if you could just check the state of power or actually use the car in terms of heaters etc. So you'd have to power off by either locking the car which seems strange or power off using the infotainment screen. But then what... you can put your foot on the break and it starts... or do you power it back on using the same button on the infotainment system. In the Mg5 you can just plug it in whilst the car is on or off.
Perhaps. I'm not sure 'till I plug in somewhere rapid. I'll use ismart to check the SOC whilst I'm inside getting a 'big tasty'

View attachment 11342

Just switch it back on again and keep toasty warm. But should switch off before disconnecting. Then start it again! Easy in the zs with a lower button but seems trickier in the 4 with screen and menus.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back