Rapid charging

ippy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone else had problems rapid charging a long range Mg4?
Mine has just been in for it’s first annual service, and they were made aware I was unable to rapid charge prior to delivery.
Upon collection, I drove to my nearest instavolt rapid chargers, as the dealer doesn’t have one! and yet again was unable to initiate the charge on any of the stations. I immediately took it back to the dealer who then had to book it back in, in 2 weeks time!
This is totally unacceptable as it hadn’t been successful repaired in the first place.
I assume all updates were applied during the service, although it was ready for collection after 5 hours.
There’s no way of knowing what they actually did or didn’t do as any warranty work has no paper trail to the customer, and no service book either!
(It’s all in their database apparently)
I find this astonishing in this day and age when you get electronically tagged with almost everything you do.

[Incidentally, I now have the new HVAC menu, cannot get amazon music any more, and cannot change from KM’s to Miles in the iSMART app.
So they must have done something.] Discussion on iSmart issues split to separate thread.

Just an update on my mg4 not accepting rapid charges.
Still unresolved, but a bit further on at least.
Apparently the battery temp sensor is showing 85deg all the time. So the car rejects the rapid charge.
Slow charge is not affected so I can still home charge.
Waiting for MG to come back with resolutions, it all depends where the thermocouple is, and if it’s accessible.
Could be a local replacement, or a new battery module!
The balls in their court now.

I merged your two threads so that people can follow the whole story in one place.

That is a very weird fault, I have never heard of that before! It may or may not be relevant that 87 degrees is the temperature that the app wrongly flags up as the internal temperature of the car from time to time.

I merged your two threads so that people can follow the whole story in one place.

That is a very weird fault, I have never heard of that before! It may or may not be relevant that 87 degrees is the temperature that the app wrongly flags up as the internal temperature of the car from time to time.
Yes, the AC temp has always been way off in the car, seems to be an inbuilt problem from day 1. very weird, but makes sense. Wouldn’t it be great if once the sensor is changed it fixes the cabin temp also!
I’ll update once I get the response from MG.

I think there are two separate issues. One is that you have to set the heating for about 5 degrees warmer than you want to get what you actually want, and the other is the erratic readings of interior temperature on the app. The former is consistent, and the later is very inconsistent, and occasionally throws a 87C just to confuse you.

I'll be very interested to see what MG say about this one.

Latest news on my issue.
Waited a week for MG to get back to dealer regarding my fix, but had no contact from anyone.
Tried to escalate it today and the dealer called back and asked me to bring the car back in for more diagnostic work for the 3rd time….next year! January 5th.
Will try to contact MG directly now, as this is unacceptable service.
Not been able to rapid charge since September.

The local Sainsbury's has just installed a number of EV Charging Points. They are contactless which is good but don't tell you how much they cost per kWh.
Today I went to ask Customer Services, but they knew nothing about them.
And online, one website says they are free while another says they are not free.

So can I ask anyone who has any knowledge of this to please let me know. Thanks.

The local Sainsbury's has just installed a number of EV Charging Points. They are contactless which is good but don't tell you how much they cost per kWh.
And online, one website says they are free while another says they are not free.

So can I ask anyone who has any knowledge of this to please let me know. Thanks.
75p/kWh, according to the press release

EDIT - Zap Map confirms 75p/kWh, and warns of a £50-60 pre-authorisation fee.

Last edited:

Do you get Nectar points?

Just an update on my mg4 not accepting rapid charges.
Still unresolved, but a bit further on at least.
Apparently the battery temp sensor is showing 85deg all the time. So the car rejects the rapid charge.
Slow charge is not affected so I can still home charge.
Waiting for MG to come back with resolutions, it all depends where the thermocouple is, and if it’s accessible.
Could be a local replacement, or a new battery module!
The balls in their court now.
mmmm I'm wondering if mine is the same . I went into my dealer a couple of weeks ago but MG's servers were down . someone metnioned about water in the charging port . Mine was damp but is as dry as a bone now .I'm going to try a rapid charge on the way home tonight and see if it'll take .

mmmm I'm wondering if mine is the same . I went into my dealer a couple of weeks ago but MG's servers were down . someone metnioned about water in the charging port . Mine was damp but is as dry as a bone now .I'm going to try a rapid charge on the way home tonight and see if it'll take .
Still wouldn't take a charge . Back to Glyn Hopkin I go!

I think there are two separate issues. One is that you have to set the heating for about 5 degrees warmer than you want to get what you actually want, and the other is the erratic readings of interior temperature on the app. The former is consistent, and the later is very inconsistent, and occasionally throws a 87C just to confuse you.

I'll be very interested to see what MG say about this one.
Just an update regarding my issue.
Managed to speak to someone and got my appointment brought forward.
Apparently MG want to restart the battery to see if it corrects the issue.

Still wouldn't take a charge . Back to Glyn Hopkin I go!
So I went back on Friday . No one in the service dept to talk to . Not good.
Went back yesterday to be told that it's Glyn Hopkins servers that are causing the problem and can't talk to China. Apparently it's only that branch (?!) and their IT dept are going in next week. ( too late I've got a reasonably long trip coming up! )
Not only that, they don't have rapid chargers there so wouldn't be able to test anything . My next nearest dealer is Romford but they don't service MG there so I'm going to have to try Toomey in Basildon .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back